Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Have you seen the Lion King?

DubWolf

Poll  

43 users have voted

1. 1. Have you seen The Lion King (1994)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bits and pieces and know enough
    • Bits and pieces but don’t remember much

4 minutes ago, smolbear said:

That's exactly the issue. The original Lion King is good, so of course the remake is gonna be good by default as long as it's true to the source material. The visuals are definitely impressive but they're unfitting, and the story itself is impressive but that's because it's literally from a movie that already exists and nearly everyone loves.

The point of the movie isn't to be innovative, Disney are aware that everyone already knows it is a copypaste story. I don't see the problem :p Compare this to the star wars reboot. The Force Awakens was supposed to be the continuation of the saga, the start of an adventure with new characters and a new story, yet everything is a copypaste. That's something to be criticized.

(edited)

So far, everyone's voted yes. I was obsessed with the Animated film as a kid. Only seeing the weaker parts in the story like the film's supposed message not always being supported by the films' events, when I got older

Still, I love the Animated movie, warts and all

And I won't mind the live action film being a so called shot by shot remake, as long as they can keep it enjoyable.

Edited by Will Guide

13 minutes ago, Magic Note said:

I loved the original Lion King movie. I don't have plans to see it as of right now, because my nephew's gonna watch it with his friend either this weekend or the next.

That sounds great!

Today I watched the remake with my friends, and we all thought that it was a great movie, I really enjoyed!:squee:

Spoiler

The story itself is exactly the same, but some characters were portrayed differently and it covered up some unanswered questions from the original. It developed the hyeanas and scars rule quite a bit too, especially the lionesses. The songs were not that great however, but the epicnes of the final battle made up for it. 

I have indeed!  Easily one of my favorite movies of all time, animated or otherwise.  Not matter how much Mat Pat tries to ruin it for me. :dry:

I'm a little afraid to see the new remake, especially if it's just a one for one copy, but realistic and void of animated expressions?  Sadly though, I wont be able to give it a chance to find out if it can stand on its own, as it's not being shown in my local theater.  :wacko:

Yep, the original still holds up really well for being a 25 year old animated movie. Still really like it to this day.

Just saw the remake, and it was definitely another cash-grab from Disney.

Spoiler

Alright, that's a bit harsh, but the movie itself really didn't need to be made. It follows the exact same structure as the original, uses all the same songs, re-creates scenes from the original shot-by-shot... just makes the film pointless if it's not gonna differentiate itself from the original in any way.

Voice acting was good for the most part, except for Zazu & Nala, who I thought were portrayed the worst in terms of their voice. Beyonce, while a great singer, is not a great voice actor, and it really shows here. John Oliver was as grating as he is in real life, unfortunately. Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar did a pretty good job, but nowhere near as memorable or charismatic as Jeremy Irons in the original. It was cool that James Earl Jones came back for Mufasa, although his delivery at some places made it sound like he really didn't give a shit. Although, if I was given the same script as I was 25 years ago I'd probably be the same. :laugh:

Donald Glover as Simba was pretty funny to me. He did a good job, but I couldn't get out of my head that it was Childish Gambino as a lion. Half expected him to suddenly say "This is the Pride Lands"  or something lmao. 

A voice in particular that impressed me was Shenzi, the VA did a brilliant job with her.

In terms of visuals, this movie would be a 10/10. It's probably got some of the best visual effects I've seen in a long time,  even though visual effects aren't really that groundbreaking anymore, but regardless this movie implemented them pretty well.

Wouldn't really bother with the remake if any of you are wanting to see it, the original is better in pretty much every way.

I saw the new Lion King and didn’t think much of it. If they’re going to make a scene-for-scene remake, fine. But they shouldn’t make each scene less good than the original, nor should they trim good material only to replace it with meaningless filler. Most of the voice actors phoned it in and Jon Favreau did little to direct them. Making this movie was a good opportunity to make a few improvements on the original, but as usual, Disney just wanted another cash-in and forgot that competent filmmaking can be an option. On the plus side, I loved hearing James Earl Jones again as Mufasa, and the lion cubs were cute.  

• Brohoof 2

I've seen the original and I dont really subscribe to the idea of disney remakes. Sure it is good to remake old classics and adapt them with modern technology but this is pretty much just a safe money for disney I think what they should be doing is to create and innovate more stories and not rehash on old classics for a quick buck

I've seen it many times, it's a really great movie, though I wish that Scar turned out to be good in the end and that Mufasa was the evil one, I'd love to see twists like that.

I've seen the original countless times, I absolutely loved the film when I was a kid and I still think it is great. However, I will never watch the incredibly pointless remake. It seems to have none of the personality of the original and frankly I am already so sick of these Disney remakes. Honestly I am getting tired of modern Disney altogether.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original Lion King movie is my favorite movie of all time. When I came back from watching the new one I immediately went on to watch the old one to renew my admiration of it. There's so many small things that the old movie does better. I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen the new one, but I fully agree with everyone who calls the new movie 'soulless'. The animation is absolutely stunning, but the realism killed the magic completely, and many of the jokes fall flat compared to the original. It's definitely not bad, but it does lack every single thing that made the original movie legendary.

The Lion King has been one of the long list of Disney films I’ve watched constantly as a kid. I have no desire of watching the new one, mostly because of the lifeless and uncanny valley at times CGI

I have and its one of the Disney classic I could care less for. But I'm going to see the live action anyways with no expectation.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...