Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you think it's true that the bond between a mother and her daughter is the strongest bond out of the parent/child bonds?

AlicornSpell

(edited)

According to these 4 websites

https://www.moms.com/mom-daughter-bonds/

https://www.scarymommy.com/mother-daughter-bond-study/

https://www.herfamily.ie/parenthood/mother-daughter-bond-stronger-relations-289544

https://aleteia.org/2018/03/16/this-is-why-the-mother-daughter-bond-is-the-strongest/

the bond between a mother and her daughter is a lot stronger than the bond between a father and his son is and the bond between a mother and her daughter is a lot stronger than the bond between a mother and her son is. The websites also try to explain why the mother/daughter bond is the strongest bond out of the parent/child bonds.

I am personally not sure if those supposedly facts from those websites are true or not.

Edited by AlicornSpell

But actually it depends on the people like how they act. So lets say my strongest bond is me and my dad, but not with my mom because she just not always the type to hang out with all the time, but we still have a good bond.

So yeah it depends

• Brohoof 1

Hard to say, it's completely situational, my mum just wanted me out of her life and my dad only took care of me because he felt like he had to so it's on a case by case basis tbh.

• Brohoof 1

No one fits into concise, perfect little demographic pie charts. There are too many variables. I was never close to my mom and she never gave a crap about me. She left me and my dad when I was very young and I don't even know where she is right now. I'm fairly close to my dad though. 

• Brohoof 1

The study focused on around 35 healthy families so I recommend keeping that in mind.

I would also like to point out the study was more about how similar mothers and daughters process their emotions (as well as how mood disorders like depression are passed down, namely from mother to daughter), the study isn't necessarily about how close the mother's and daughter's relationship is. All they're really saying is the part of the brain that regulates emotional patterns is more similar between mothers and daughters than any other primary familiar "relationship". I feel like a lot of people just read the title and immediately jumped in without actually reading what the study is about...

From personal experience, I know my mother and I react similar in a decent amount of circumstances.

• Brohoof 1

uh, no. Definitely not. I have an equally strong bond with both of my parents, as does my brother. It's entirely dependent on the people! There's never going to be a one size fits all 'answer' to this.

Feminine and masculine are independent of sex. So, it is possible for both men and women to have this kind of connection with their child.

Also, what is true to one person, may not be so for another. In this case, "truth" represents a personal conception of reality.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the people!

Mom and daughter relationships can sometimes have their own unique downfalls. I don't know if it makes them better or worse than other potential relations, but the set up definitely isn't perfect. 

One common dysfunction with mom/daughter is when mom is competative with daughter. Women tend to be more sensitive about their age and are pressured to sacrifice their career/ambitions to raise children, so this can turn into jealousy and resent in insecure moms. Mom sees daughter as a younger, prettier, and happier version of herself who, not only is 'better' than her at everything, but whom she sacrificed years of her life for (maybe even her youth). 

Those relationships tend to be really controlling. Mom might cope with her jealousy by making her daughter do all the same things she does (dress the same, have the same haircut, hobbies, interests, etc.) because it helps mom feel less threatened. This works out when daughter is young and the relationship might appear amazing until she develops a mind of her own. People from the outside mght see mom and daughter wearing matching clothes, singing together, shopping etc. and think it's perfect but it's pretty toxic. Mom will try to snuff out daughter's identity so she can't be a threat, making daughter so identical to herself that she can live through her instead of feeling jealous. She'll try to convince daughter that she's ugly, stupid, unskilled, worthless etc. and emotionally beat her into submission. It's pretty ruthless. 

Doesn't really happen with mom/son oddly enough. Very much a womanhood thing. Sometimes jealous moms will have more than one child, but only feel threatened by the daughters.

Of course there's plenty of good mom daughter relationships that aren't like this. This is just one of the more common ways it can go wrong.

I haven’t had a chance to look at the study, but just looking at the websites, they appear to be mother focused. This would definitely be a check the sources type of case. All family bonds can be strong, whether they’re blood or not, you just need to cultivate those relationships.

Sounds like a pile of horse shit. It depends who you have kept closest and done most things together with throughout your life. 

No. I think it depends on the individuals themselves and their relationship. 

I have a good relationship with both my mother and father, but I wouldn’t call it a powerful bond with either of them. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. It could be the strongest on average, but any parent and any child are capable of developing a close bond. I feel close to both of my parents, though it's a bit different between my mom and my dad. They each help me better with different needs.

Not really sure. I'm not a daughter (obviously), but what I can say from observing my sisters is that they value their relationship with Mom over their relationship with Dad. So maybe.

It might have something to do with my Dad being a power-tripping ass sometimes though. :v

Doubt, I don't dislike my mother, and she doesn't dislike me, but I wouldn't say we have any special bond, no more than my brothers bonded with my father, or any combination for that matter. I'd say my family relationship is probably just above neutral, we just enjoy not disliking eachother

It's absurd to assume there's one prevailing demographic that supersedes all the others. People are diverse and relate in different ways. I'm very close to my mother, but I also have an equally loving, though different, dynamic with my dad and siblings.  

• Brohoof 1