Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Business people ruling the world behind the scenes?

heavens-champion

Behind the scenes? If they were more in front of the scenes, they'd be standing in the orchestra pit.

• Brohoof 3

Never thought I'd see Deus Ex in a forum about miniature colored horses, good taste nonetheless. Re-installing it again.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Doctor Derpy said:

The world is run by rich people. Almost everything done is for profit.

I swear, I'm not a crazy conspiracy theorist  

Well duh, if it isn't about money then people can care less about you.

Well that’s how the business world works baby. 

7738355F-0B67-47BE-9899-4BCC26AFAB4A.gif.43d20d94b22670c187b81c96ede36b23.gif

Unless this business you’re thinkin’ is Trump, then there’s nothin to worry ‘bout. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 6:19 PM, TBD said:

Well that’s how the business world works baby. 

7738355F-0B67-47BE-9899-4BCC26AFAB4A.gif.43d20d94b22670c187b81c96ede36b23.gif

Unless this business you’re thinkin’ is Trump, then there’s nothin to worry ‘bout. 

Fine. I'll be specific. A long time ago, I asked what if the world was run by megacorporations, as in, what if megacorporations were governments, then people said that corporations already run the world. But I wasn't talking about bribes, I was talking about things like corporate states. something like this (an excerpt from the Mutant Chronicles article on Wikipedia):

"Since the exodus from Earth the traditional nation-states of the world have merged into five huge megacorporations: Bauhaus, styled after the culture of continental Europe, the American-influenced Capitol, the Japanese-themed Mishima, the British-inspired Imperial, and the ultra-secretive, ambiguous, high-tech wielding Cybertronic, all of whom use private military forces to fight for resources."

Businesses already do run the world and it's not even hidden. Corporate interests just buy politicians or get shills put in positions of power, or send lobbyists to "make sure everything is done fairly." When monied interests are allowed to interfere with government, the needs of the citizens are ignored for profit. This has happened many times before and will continue to happen because greedy fucks illegally buy their way into maintaining power! When things finally collapse under the weight of their own egos and hubris, the regular people - US - will pay the price.

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, a lot of media going on and on about Trump is not because he is stupid (no high ranking politician is stupid, no matter your opinion about his policies, stupid people do not rise to the top) or that he is exceptionally bad (IMO he is no worse than Bush or Obama). The reason (IMO) is that he inconveniences some very rich and powerful people, because he has his own group of friends whose lives he wants to make easier. Just remember - the big channels are large companies and their employees will say what they are told to say. This is not some guy broadcasting his opinion on YouTube.

Something like that happened in my country too. One President presumably refused to "share" with the "establishment" because he had his own friends. He was impeached and removed from office, then a law was passed to essentially ban him from running for office ever again. 

And yea, large companies, especially old ones, like banks, control everything. Remember the last recession which was caused by the banks, but then the banks were bailed out using tax money? Yea. Politicians are allowed to make laws that do not affect those companies, but would be in trouble if they started being inconvenient. 

Companies like Google and Facebook can even control people 1984 style, by controlling what information they see. For example - people who hold "unwanted" political views may see fewer "get out and vote" ads than people who hold "wanted" political views - therefore nudging the vote.

I recommend anyone to read "1984" - it was written a relatively long time ago, but is even more relevant now.

Edited by Pentium100

All I have to say is: why is this a question? It's so obvious to anyone paying attention to current affairs that the corporations control everything, including our everyday lives, that it is basically established fact at this point.

Edited by Banjo
  • Brohoof 2

On 7/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, heavens-champion said:

Have you noticed that there are people on the internet who say business people are ruling the world?

When they say the world, they mean the U.S. right? It's a common knowledge that companies pay for their side to win the election. They don't do it for fun, they do it for control.

But I don't think companies like Google has any control in what country to invade next, or what religion to embrace. It is more of a "if we get in trouble, the government will not help us, rather than trying to help our competition".

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

But I don't think companies like Google has any control in what country to invade next, or what religion to embrace. It is more of a "if we get in trouble, the government will not help us, rather than trying to help our competition".

Google, probably not. But evil entities like Halliburton? You better believe they had a hand in the latest batch of middle eastern wars. Even if it wasn't direct, their influence is pretty well established.

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

But I don't think companies like Google has any control in what country to invade next, or what religion to embrace.

They may not, but then again, Google does not profit from wars. Other companies do. Those companies may also not care which country is invaded specifically, as long as there is a need for their bombs, missiles etc.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it just regular business men, definitely do not look at their ethnicity.

Ya know the one disproportionately gets into Ivy league schools. Who disproportionately makes 40% of billionaires. Who owns 90% percent of the media which uses said media to post inflammatory articles about current politics.

Don't look.

13 hours ago, Sir Warith said:

Ya know the one disproportionately gets into Ivy league schools. Who disproportionately makes 40% of billionaires. Who owns 90% percent of the media which uses said media to post inflammatory articles about current politics.

Don't look.

their ethnicity isn't really a factor.

13 hours ago, Sir Warith said:

Ya know the one disproportionately gets into Ivy league schools. Who disproportionately makes 40% of billionaires.

Being rich and being poor both have strong positive feedback loops.

If you are a rich business man, you can afford to send your children to good and expensive schools, then they can start their own companies or take over from you. You also have a lot of connections, so you can help your children succeed. Then your children can help you.

If you are poor though, chances are that your children not only will not be able to afford going to a good school, but they may not be able to go to a University as well, but instead go to work immediately after school. You also do not have connections and are much less able to help them succeed, even if they decide to start a business (since you may not have the skills needed).

Now, of course, you can start rich and drink/gamble all your money away. Or you can start poor and get lucky and become rich, but that is less likely to happen.

That certain ethnicities are more likely to be rich just means they either started earlier (perhaps hundreds of years ago) or the people of those ethnicities are more willing to help each other. Maybe their culture encourages being smart and studying?

I read somewhere (also, I do not live in the USA) that in some neighborhoods, young black people are ostracized by other black people if they decide to study and go into normal business instead of joining a gang and dealing drugs ("Why do you want to act like the Whites do? You betray us!"). I do not know if that's true, but if it is, then this is another example of positive feedback on poverty. It doesn't really have to do anything with race or ethnicity, just culture.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, Angus Delaney said:

All I have to say is: why is this a question? It's so obvious to anyone paying attention to current affairs that the corporations control everything, including our everyday lives, that it is basically established fact at this point.

Then why isn't chairman of the board synonymous with president or king? Why don't they have their own armies? Where are their police departments? Why aren't there terms like employee-citizen? 

Seriously, I feel like I'm the only one here who knows what the cyberpunk Genre is.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, Splashee said:

When they say the world, they mean the U.S. right?

Since when was America the world? If it was was, we wouldn't call it planet Earth. We would call it planet America.

24 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Then why isn't chairman of the board synonymous with president or king? Why don't they have their own armies? Where are their police departments? Why aren't there terms like employee-citizen? 

Seriously, I feel like I'm the only one here who knows what the cyberpunk Genre is.

Cyberpunk is the logical continuation of current affairs if the corporations (new money) managed to replace the banks and other old money.

Also, the problem with the government is that the people should be willing to be governed by it (and have something to lose). Otherwise you might get a revolution and a lot of losses because of destruction of property, deaths and so on.

So, give people the illusion of democracy and they will be happy. Total control, like, say, in North Korea is more difficult to sustain, however, with modern technology and the way it is developed, a 1984-like future is also possible.

Just look at the 2016 Presidential election of the USA - the two candidates who had a chance of winning were both on the Right side of center on the economic questions). Someone like Sanders, who was on the Left side was not allowed to run, because he would have inconvenienced the wealthy business people.

Also, my opinion about how the media is so against Donald Trump is not just because of his actions that are reported. I'm pretty sure that the real reason for this hostility is that Trump has a lot of friends who profit because he is the President. However, those people are not the same ones who profited when Obama was President and would have continued to profit if Hillary won.

Similar thing happened in my country about 15 years ago.

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Cyberpunk is the logical continuation of current affairs if the corporations (new money) managed to replace the banks and other old money.

So, should I have just posted a 'what if the world was like a cyberpunk novel' topic instead?

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

So, should I have just posted a 'what if the world was like a cyberpunk novel' topic instead?

Depends on what you want to ask. 

Is the world currently controlled by business people who control/influence the politicians etc? In my opinion, yes. Especially by the "old money", like the Rothschilds, though "new money", especially the technology companies really try to do this too, but, they probably come to some sort of an understanding most of the time.

It is not as overt as corporations having their own armies etc, like it is shown in cyberpunk fiction because that, IMO, would probably be more difficult and less profitable than the current situation. It may be getting there though, at least from what I read about the USA (and the prevailing though that government == bad, private company == good).

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

Depends on what you want to ask. 

Is the world currently controlled by business people who control/influence the politicians etc? In my opinion, yes. Especially by the "old money", like the Rothschilds, though "new money", especially the technology companies really try to do this too, but, they probably come to some sort of an understanding most of the time.

It is not as overt as corporations having their own armies etc, like it is shown in cyberpunk fiction because that, IMO, would probably be more difficult and less profitable than the current situation. It may be getting there though, at least from what I read about the USA (and the prevailing though that government == bad, private company == good).

Well, when you think about it, when people start thinking politicians can't be trusted (not without good reason, mind you), some of them will look for alternatives. Plus, it'll probably be only a matter of time until business people start seeing profits in having their own personal armies (or, in the Trade Federation's case, an entire military).

P.S. At least I know there are more people here who know about cyberpunk. Granted, I probably should have realized that the time I once asked about good names for Cyberpunk character on here.

That's because businesses do rule the world. The government is for sale to the highest bidder. It's called lobbying. If you dont like it vote libertarian. (As if our votes actually matter) I know, "but I was taught in school..." in the words of commander Tempest; "Open up your eyes" and see the world for what it is.