Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What pony games do you want to exist?

HelloJinxie

5 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

Isometric can be quite challenging with clipping what is in front and behind the world/characters, unless you just go standard 3D. What approach were you thinking?

I don't really know how to work with 2D, I thought about something like this, but a bit less detailed

Screenshot_2020-04-07-09-46-31-397_com.opera.browser.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Open world rpg pony. One that follows the mane 6 storyline would be cool, but like also an original adventure where you could make your own character would be fun. Not an MMO.

Also a strategy game similar to Civ. V would be awesome too. 

Back to the open world rpg, doesn't have to be open world, could just be an rpg of some sort, similar to the KOTOR AND KOTOR: The Sith Lords. 

@Misscellanio

And how exactly are you defining 'open world'? That terminology is used in multiple ways, from flexibly about player actions/choices to non-linear progression to a substantially explorable world. I'm afraid a mane6 storyline would probably get any project C&D in short order.

I believe there are pony mods for Civ V. Searching 'pony' in the steam workshop for Civ V gets you 60 results.

Grand Theft Auto (it'd be quite funny watching Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy or *insert character name here* causing havoc across los pegasus)

and Call of Duty (show more about the war in Friendship is Witchcraft)

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Ooredelen said:

I don't really know how to work with 2D, I thought about something like this, but a bit less detailed

Screenshot_2020-04-07-09-46-31-397_com.opera.browser.jpg

You meant 3D right? (2D should be easier than 3D). That image works perfect in 2D, but would be solved much simpler in 3D because of depth buffers and stuff (but would look horrible if done without any care).

The isometric world you are showing has a problem that needs to be solved somehow, and that are the center pillar, which a character can be standing behind. just like characters that can stand in front of other characters, there must be a system that decides who is behind, and how to clip that art.
I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to add slopes to an isometric racing track, and it was something quite difficult to figure out.

19 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

You meant 3D right? (2D should be easier than 3D). That image works perfect in 2D, but would be solved much simpler in 3D because of depth buffers and stuff (but would look horrible if done without any care).

The isometric world you are showing has a problem that needs to be solved somehow, and that are the center pillar, which a character can be standing behind. just like characters that can stand in front of other characters, there must be a system that decides who is behind, and how to clip that art.
I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to add slopes to an isometric racing track, and it was something quite difficult to figure out.

It's easier for me in 3D, If I had ready-to-use design of locations (including colors), I would make them pretty fast (but again, design is a huge stopper for me). Plus I work in Unity, so there wouldn't be problems with depth

The real problem is character itself since you can't just fit pony into a standard capsule. I believe there's somewhere whole article about this problem written by Overmare Studios

• Brohoof 2

To tell the truth, it is always the "pony" that is difficult to add into a game concept. I am struggling with that as well. Even if it is just missing art, or having to deal with odd sizes, 4 legged creatures etc. Finding a solutions to these problems could increase development for sure.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

@Misscellanio

And how exactly are you defining 'open world'? That terminology is used in multiple ways, from flexibly about player actions/choices to non-linear progression to a substantially explorable world. I'm afraid a mane6 storyline would probably get any project C&D in short order.

I believe there are pony mods for Civ V. Searching 'pony' in the steam workshop for Civ V gets you 60 results.

Open world like similar to anthem, fallen order, etc. and yea it probs. Would get a c and d but you just said what I would want in a game and that’s what I would want. 

And yea as someone who plays Civ. V and Is a brony I’m sure you could assume I know about the steam workshop and the pony mods. The mods only take you so far. Still feels like Earth setting but with a pony mask over it. 

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Misscellanio said:

Open world like similar to anthem, fallen order, etc. and yea it probs. Would get a c and d but you just said what I would want in a game and that’s what I would want. 

And yea as someone who plays Civ. V and Is a brony I’m sure you could assume I know about the steam workshop and the pony mods. The mods only take you so far. Still feels like Earth setting but with a pony mask over it. 

I suspected as much on the latter, but some of that's just the game and it's mechanics not earth intrinsic per se.

Most likely what you're after is a total conversion mod as opposed to a pony skin (so pony leaders, pony civs, pony units, pony buildings, possibly an equestria equivalent map w/appropriate art style and terrain, a pony tech tree, etc). And ultimately, even with the monumental effort that would be, there will likely be a hard limit to what can be modified . Unfortunately there is a world of difference between a game which can be 'modded', a highly flexible engine that was used a particular way and can be used other ways, and a situation like Minecraft where -modding- means mucking around with the game's source code to the point that you can make so different as to be barely recognizable.

Edited by StormyVenture

• 1 month later...

Maybe it doesn't sound original or something, but I'd love to see a well made turn based RPG or something similar, where you could experience the story told in MLP in a game. FiM has some scenes with battles and has great opportunities for bosses, so adding a bit of general rpg elements would make an enjoyable game in my opinion. I always thought and I still do, that this show deserves a well made game that would tell that story once again. If somebody isn't into watching ponies, some perhaps could want to at least give the game a try, if it was decent enough to play.

So yeah, an RPG starting with Nightmare Moon as the first boss and so on.

... And yeah, some of you may recall that I've been working on this myself, but since I got a rl job, that started consuming most of my time, the scope of the project turned out to be too wide. That sux ;-;

Alternatively a metroidvania with similar concept would be great. Cave Story but with ponies or something. :P

A properly balanced, well made mmo would be great too! Legends of Equestria was amazing with all these fantastic locations, but combat was poo poo pee pee. :P

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Bas said:

Minus the same story part, there are quite some RPG Maker pony games.

There are, yeah, but personally I kind of had enough of rpg maker games, heh. Unless someone codes things, the gameplay and battle system is completely stale, if went with the defaults. :P

47 minutes ago, Bas said:

Played that years ago with my brother in coop and it's a very nice game indeed. I have to revisit it someday now that it is a completed game (I think?).

Though it's not quite something I had in mind. It's a crossover after all. But good suggestion nevertheless, I knew you'll mention this game.

50 minutes ago, Bas said:

PonyAge: Chronicles might be worth a try for you.

And I knew you'll mention this as well. ;P

I saw that game few times, planning to give it a go one day. How far in development is this game actually?

• Brohoof 1

@Rikifive

To be perfectly fair, I got the impression at the one point (maybe incorrect) that Legends of Equestria (LoE) was trying to avoid being too violent. And honestly if the game didn't seem rather content poor otherwise it wouldn't bother me that much.

Nevertheless the last time I played it, it still felt really lacking in content and very placeholder-y, which is a shame. The introductory content for foals/fillies seemed somewhat interesting, but not sufficiently engaging. It really, really needed engaging interactive content so that 'fun' isn't dependent wholly on other players contributing value via informal RP. Of course it's hard when they can't use show-specific location names or characters and so have work out of whole cloth so to speak. I mean they might as well rename it Legend of 'Equus' or 'Equendria' or some other knockoff name since it can't really be Equestria...

Given that, aside from the art style and character design, story is what the television show runs on it should be no surprise that games without much, if any, story (i.e. weak plot/narrative) aren't all that exciting. This is particularly so when the other game mechanics aren't particularly engaging.

• 1 year later...

I'd love a Harvest Moon clone with tiny horses. Frankly any lowkey at-your-own-pace life sim that'd let you explore a limited but really well fleshed out world would be neat. I think it'd fit the themes of MLP well; make friends, play simple activities, create your own little stories. I'm not much for competitive games and I feel like people often try to cram multiplayer into games that don't need it (is Ambient.White still a thing?), so I have yet to see a good, polished, publicly available example of this. I just wanna be able to crack open a slow, chill little game world where I can goof off after a stressful day.

On 2019-10-08 at 5:47 AM, JunkerKun said:

Noone calls Silent Ponyville game? Really? I mean, it does exist but it's either an unfinished 3D prototype or an RPG maker adventure game

This too please!!!

I'd also love more pony fangames that don't take themselves seriously but are still fun to play. Stupid nonsense with decent mechanics is a hard combo to come by, and I guess I shouldn't expect any different from what are almost always joke games, but anytime I have seen a game that hits that sweet spot I go ape over it :love:

I'd also love more pony fangames that don't take themselves seriously but are still fun to play. Stupid nonsense with decent mechanics is a hard combo to come by, and I guess I shouldn't expect any different from what are almost always joke games, but anytime I have seen a game that hits that sweet spot I go ape

Would you care to elaborate? Any specific examples come to mind?

• 4 months later...

I want a single-player, turn-based and party-based RPG, where you lead a group of six ponies (Mane 6 by default, but you can also create your own characters). It shouldn't be focused on combat, perhaps there should be some other kinds of encounters in addition to combat (maybe solving friendship problems?), that use their own mechanics. Big open world, with many quests and adventures, and many possibilities of character development (skill trees). Clear UI that keeps track of quests and locations on the map. Preferably 2D graphics, with a map divided into squares or hexes.

Let me know if a game like this (or at least similar to some degree) already exists.

• Brohoof 1

I want the game to have a similar feel true to the show, with character developement, daily life stuff and lots of unique and funny moments. A life simulation game would be nice, where you can create your own character and live in Ponyville. It could be similar to Animal Crossing, but again, with actual character developement and depth. :fluttershy: And there are not only 10 neighbours, but everypony who lives in Ponyville would be there! There is so much you could do in such a game! In the beginning the game would focus on the Mane 6 and Spike, but more stories and character developements could later be added in. :eager: It would be cool if you can visit all of Equestria, but I want to keep things a bit more realistically feasible, haha.