Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP vs. Spongebob.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

Which was more popular in its prime, MLP or Spongebob? I think MLP has a decent case for being as popular as Spongebob. Spongebob doesn't have conventions based around it.

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 1

Spongebob. By far.

For one, it wasn't on an exclusive network. Being on Nick gave it a huge outlet and many more eyes to see it. 

Spongebob wasn't initially marketed towards little girls but kids in general. it's 'neutrality' for lack of a better term, broadened it's appeal. 

Being a straight up comedy rather than mix of SoL and adventure attracted more casual viewers. Spongebob is effectively a Sitcom if you think about it. 

It also didn't need to worry about being informative or having a thoughtful lesson to teach. It was just a bunch of dumb fun for 22 minutes. Kids love that. 

And finally, when you mention Spongebob, people think the cartoon. When you mention MLP, they think the toys. The show was always the focus for Spongebob. For MLP, it was toys first, show second. 

The Simpsons doesn't have conventions. Pokemon doesn't have solo conventions. Game Of Throne's doesn't have conventions. But they have magnitudes bigger name recognition than MLP. Heck, MLP doesn't even have the biggest name recognition in it's own company. G.I. Joe and Transformers take that cake. 

Think of it less as MLP having as many fans as Spongebob, and more MLP having better fans than Spongebob. 

• Brohoof 3

Spongebob was a cultural phenomenon when it came out and it's effects are still felt today. FiM was popular had a big impact, one that'll help it be taken more seriously by both it's company and it's audience, but it still has an unfortunate stigma it's trying to shake off.

To put it simply, MLP was popular while Spongebob was a cultural icon

• Brohoof 2

53 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Spongebob. By far.

For one, it wasn't on an exclusive network. Being on Nick gave it a huge outlet and many more eyes to see it. 

Spongebob wasn't initially marketed towards little girls but kids in general. it's 'neutrality' for lack of a better term, broadened it's appeal. 

Being a straight up comedy rather than mix of SoL and adventure attracted more casual viewers. Spongebob is effectively a Sitcom if you think about it. 

It also didn't need to worry about being informative or having a thoughtful lesson to teach. It was just a bunch of dumb fun for 22 minutes. Kids love that. 

And finally, when you mention Spongebob, people think the cartoon. When you mention MLP, they think the toys. The show was always the focus for Spongebob. For MLP, it was toys first, show second. 

The Simpsons doesn't have conventions. Pokemon doesn't have solo conventions. Game Of Throne's doesn't have conventions. But they have magnitudes bigger name recognition than MLP. Heck, MLP doesn't even have the biggest name recognition in it's own company. G.I. Joe and Transformers take that cake. 

Think of it less as MLP having as many fans as Spongebob, and more MLP having better fans than Spongebob. 

MLP might not even be the most profitable of Hasbro's IPs. I think Transformers is still Hasbro's main cash cow.

Ever since his introduction, Spongebob has been an animation powerhouse, far beyond what MLP has been in the modern era. What disappoints me with that is Spongebob only deserved that kind of godlike status during its first 3 seasons. After that, with Stephen's original departure, the show tanked in quality and charm and it lost almost all of its subtle humor that it had before, while MLP I would say stayed consistently good through most of its run, with some definite bumps in the road. Somehow Spongebob continued to get more popular while it was actively degrading in quality. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this society loves its trash.

Those first 3 seasons of Spongeybobby though, they are friggin' strong. Sadly FiM, even with the Brony fandom, still couldn't escape the bullshit gender stereotypes of this society and was still labeled as such so it never had a chance to truly be an icon like Spongebob because of this culture's self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Brohoof 3

Yea when Spongebob first came out everyone love the show and not everyone loves mlp. Plus Spongebob is still going after 20 years and probably has more merchandise than mlp does. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
(edited)

Spongebob has been around for eleven years longer than FiM so that's a bit of an unfair advantage. :dry: I don't like Spongebob at all anymore because it just became too stupid and I think I just moved on.

It doesn't matter which one is more famous. The truth is that FiM wins hoof down! :yay:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:42 PM, TomDaBombMLP said:

Spongebob has been around for eleven years longer than FiM so that's a bit of an unfair advantage. :dry: I don't like Spongebob at all anymore because it just became too stupid and I think I just moved on.

It doesn't matter which one is more famous. The truth is that FiM wins hoof down! :yay:

Yeah it was better earlier on then it just got so silly :P

What is a SpongeBob? :ooh:

When I stopped watching toddler stuff, they had something called Teletubbies, is that it?

Maybe Bananas in Pyjamas?

MLP is way more recognized. I have known about MLP my entire life!