Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Half of US population lives in 9 states.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

This really doesn't surprise me at all to be honest, and of course I knew Texas would be one of the nine as it's the second most populous state in the union. Also, the counties really don't at all, considering they all line up with big cities like Seattle, NYC, Los Angeles, and Houston.

Edited by ~Dusky~
  • Brohoof 1

Pennsylvania has Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall...and Hershey. Not to mention, lush forests and acres upon acres of farmland. And the job opportunities are quite high in the cities. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 2019-07-24 at 7:15 PM, SparklingSwirls said:

Well, would you like to live in North Dakota? :P 

Most people like to live in/near cities as they're usually more exciting places to live and have better job opportunities.

Why wouldn't you like to live here? :P

Anyways, my comment for the article is the old stereotype that everything is better in the cities/coasts. Georgia does surprise me though. Probably also helps that the coasts were settled first and have, well, the coast for many things from ports to fishing. The depression probably didn't help anything either.

(Also why do I keep finding references to ND here? What happened to us being "isn't that Canada?")

Edited by TheGleaner

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Texas. Georgia, California, New York, and Pennsylvania are there lol.

I  mean of course Texas would be on there, it's massive, man.

And Georgia cause of Atlanta and Savannah.

Plus California and New York are obvious :p 

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to live in Texas, Georgia and Florida. Downright miserable states. They should be low in population like my god awful state which has low population because it is not a nice place to live.

Although if I had my choice of where to move I'd move to Massachusetts or the other New England states. They don't have a lot of population either it seems. I know that New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine don't have any really big metropolitan cities. I take it that it's too cold for a lot of people, but then hellhole hot hurricane and tornado prone states like Texas, Georgia and Florida are somehow highly populated. Make it make sense.

8 hours ago, Envy said:

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to live in Texas, Georgia and Florida. Downright miserable states. They should be low in population like my god awful state which has low population because it is not a nice place to live.

Although if I had my choice of where to move I'd move to Massachusetts or the other New England states. They don't have a lot of population either it seems. I know that New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine don't have any really big metropolitan cities. I take it that it's too cold for a lot of people, but then hellhole hot hurricane and tornado prone states like Texas, Georgia and Florida are somehow highly populated. Make it make sense.

Only reasons I’d consider living in those states is because they’re considerably cheaper compared to California, where it’s damn near impossible to even get a studio apartment without having to move into the boonies, and even then I’d prefer places cooler and up north like Oregon and Washington 

10 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Only reasons I’d consider living in those states is because they’re considerably cheaper compared to California, where it’s damn near impossible to even get a studio apartment without having to move into the boonies, and even then I’d prefer places cooler and up north like Oregon and Washington 

Yeah, California is ridiculously expensive. But the really nice thing about moving from there is that you can move pretty much anywhere else in the US. Whereas, where I live, it's dirt cheap and thus moving somewhere better is prohibitively expensive. It's depressing as can be. Because my family desires and has desired to move to New England for several years now. But our state's low income has cemented us here. So depressing. There must be something we can do...

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised the states are even acknowledged in any capacity anymore. Way, WAY too often we are simply summed up as "america". It gets old. 

As for the subject itself, it often feels that a high population state should be able to make certain obvious improvements due to its massive populous, yet it never seems to happen. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2019-07-24 at 8:18 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

I’m not surprised Florida is on there. There’s so many people here we’re running out of room like no joke. 

This reply was made in 2019. It is 2022 and this reply is more true than ever. It's insane here!

On 2019-07-24 at 7:09 PM, CastletonSnob said:

Read an interesting article recently.

https://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-the-us-population-lives-in-just-9-states-2016-6

Why do you suppose this is? Why do you think half the population lives in these particular states?

Some of them are very small in new england and some of the bigger ones out west are mostly mountains and desert.

Also, populations center around water. A lot of those are near the great lakes and others are on the coast because of shipping.