Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you ever feel unappreciated for your efforts?

Mini

my mum calls me lazy even though I work and study my ass off and then she has the gall to blame it on my irregular sleep schedule, even though that irregular sleep schedule exists because of my work and studies

maybe it's just the angsty teen coming out of me but my parents have been annoying me lately

anyone else experience something similar recently? vent it out

• Brohoof 2

All. The. Time.

Mainly by my boss at work. She used to only work me the same day every other week.

I talked to her about getting more hours, and so she works me the same day every week.

I have been working at this restaurant for almost two years now.

I feel both unappreciated and taken advantage of.

Plus, I only get 5 dollars an hour (plus tips, which comes from the wait staff's pocket).

I am currently looking for another job.

• Brohoof 1

Mhm, this happens all the time. Unfortunately it's gonna be something that you'll have to learn to live with.

For me, I just give people the stare that says "I know you're wrong, but I don't care to explain how wrong you are. Just know that you're wrong." :P

For real though, it can get really frustrating, but as long as you know what you're doing is worth it, that's all that matters.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly? I don’t care; if it’s for a job, I just get it done. If it’s for myself, well no reason to bother myself with what other people think. What often matters is the results; so I stick to that.

• Brohoof 2

Yep, especially when it has to do with how I treat people so well.
It feels really crappy when people don't appreciate you being a nice person in general. Not only do they not appreciate it sometimes, but they actually react to it by being rude, sometimes! Like, excuse me? I'm just trying to be mature and nice, people take advantage of it. I'll never stop being polite though, at least not any time soon.
Other than that, yeah, people call me lazy too lol. But that's just a common thing really.

I've felt that at times. In past times... At my workplace, I felt overworked and not paid well enough. On the other hand, in music, I felt like me practicing never mattered. It isn't that other people were not recognizing my talent (high school me was different. High school me did not understand anything, and blamed others), it's that I had some limit to my talent that I could not get by, and I could never play as well as others, no matter how much I practiced.

Now my health issues keep me from being able to work well, or practice much. There isn't much effort in my life to not be recognized anymore. Instead there's just depression there can't be much effort anymore.

Oh yes. On many bases. But recently a lot in the cosplay field. I could make a full armor set and get 0 feedback because the character isn't popular.. But when I throw on my Mercy wig and random clothes people go nuts. 

Whyyyy?? I mean I'm happy my followers like my content but I'd love if they'd appreciate hard work and not just go "I see boobs, I press like" (actual quote) :eww:

Also a random dude at work is getting a promotion even though he wasn't even here for several months while I worked my butt off. 

I’m quite the opposite. I don’t mind appreciation once in a while but it overwhelms me. Because then that leads to more expectations. I rather have my good deeds unnoticed. And if I or the individual feels good about it, that’s enough for me.

I used to feel very unappreciated when I worked as a kennel attendant back in 2013. Not only did I do my work but I did even more than what was asked of me. I felt like I went above and beyond but I never received one thank you. Hell, I was a kennel attendant at another location and no one ever thanked me for anything. It didn’t feel good at all.

I work in fast food and lately I have felt like this on almost a daily basis. A certain manager is obsessed with our drive thru times and always blames me when times are slow even when I'm working as fast as I can. I respect her competitive attitude, but I think it's ridiculous when I'm waiting on some old man to find his wallet and count money slower than molasses and then I get blamed for it. This happens very often, and one unspoken rule of friendly service is to not make the customer feel rushed. So I just have to grin and bear it.

The store's general manager is helping me out though... she appreciates me enough that after I put in my 2 weeks notice a week and a half ago, she was able to talk me out of quitting outright. The plan was always to give me a leave of absence when I go back up to college so she's just gonna let me start that LOA next week rather than in mid-August. So at least I'll have a source of income lined up when I come home for my winter break in December.

• Brohoof 2

Most people have zero respect for other people's jobs or efforts in anything. This society is now built on money and status. You need to have a lot of both to get any respect. Sure, you can probably join the military and magically get a respect badge from everyone, but that is the one of the only things where that happens. People don't care. There is no such thing as respect for common jobs or even many uncommon ones. You have to get some fancy shmancy "degree" for something and you might get a little bit of respect from your peers, but not much more than that.

I can't work for different reasons, so when I see someone working at a place like McDonald's, they have my respect immediately. They are doing something I couldn't do so I won't lose my goddamn mind if my fries aren't volcanic hot like quite a few people like to do these days. The general masses are ungrateful.

And trust me, this overall problem of people having no respect is only going to get worse, never better.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Yes. I do. There are days when I would work my ass off to clean up the house and as soon as my mom comes home, even though the house looks immaculate, all she sees is a public restroom. It’s as if she looks for a problem around the house to scold me for. And then, while I’m cleaning the house, she scolds me for not having a job, no schooling, and no friends. But guess what? Whenever I DO have those things, she yells at me for not doing chores. Like, make up your mind, woman. I’m not the only capable son you have there and your other one just sits and plays computer games all day. 

She he also claims that she understands that I have mental and behavioral issues, but she makes it sound like it’s making her suffer. And she wonders why I have suicidal thoughts and tendencies. And she gets surprised when I clearly get upset as if everything wrong with everyone’s life is my fault. Then she goes off on a rant saying how she would be better off without me and my brother and that she wants to leave or even kill herself if only to get a moments peace away from me. 

Edited by Kronos the Revenant

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Kronos the Revenant said:

Yes. I do. There are days when I would work my ass off to clean up the house and as soon as my mom comes home, even though the house looks immaculate, all she sees is a public restroom. It’s as if she looks for a problem around the house to scold me for. And then, while I’m cleaning the house, she scolds me for not having a job, no schooling, and no friends. But guess what? Whenever I DO have those things, she yells at me for not doing chores. Like, make up your mind, woman. I’m not the only capable son you have there and your other one just sits and plays computer games all day. 

OMG Me too!

Edited by Will Guide

Not really. Most of the people around me are way too kind, even when I screw something up. If anything, they’re too appreciative and I feel like I have to step up my game to be worthy of it. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really at my job. People notice the effort I put into making sure things are done right, and I've even got comments on my good attitude that I have even on the worst days. And let's not forget that nice "thank you" I get every two weeks (paycheck), that's all the appreciation I need. ;)

But then that changes the moment I get home. The first chance I get to sit down, it's "you need to get up and do something with your life". Don't get me wrong, I love my family and they only want the best for me, but it can be grating sometimes. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
On 2019-07-26 at 7:46 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

Not really. Most of the people around me are way too kind, even when I screw something up. If anything, they’re too appreciative and I feel like I have to step up my game to be worthy of it. 

You’re special, Dreamy. :rarity: