Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Avatar The Last Airbender TV Show Discussion

Coffee

(edited)

If you have what is your opinion on the show or generally anything you may have felt about it? 

Edited by StarrySkyDash
  • Brohoof 3

To me, this show is legendary. A very good example of a cartoon that can appeal to all ages and utilize a kind of serial storytelling that's absent from most mainstream Western animation. It has anime influence all over it but it manages to have its own unique flavor, as a sort of Asian high fantasy with a lovable cast of characters. Avatar: The Last Airbender introduces a brilliant mythology to this fictional world, with just the right combination of depth and mystery to keep you on the edge of your seat as the story progresses and Aang grows into a formidable warrior over the course of about a year.

The Legend of Korra forges its own path, keeping the basic style of Airbender while somewhat modernizing the setting. I don't think Korra is as good of a series as Airbender (Korra herself is ultimately a far less impressive fighter than Aang...), but it manages to provide a much-needed backstory for the Avatar spirit and cultivate some lovable characters of its own.

If you ever get a chance to read the Airbender and Korra comics, I highly recommend that you do so. They flesh out the story even more; the Airbender comics help fill in the gap between Airbender and Korra by continuing the story of Aang after his epic battle with Ozai, while the Korra comics continue right from where we leave off in the final episode of that show.

Also... there's a Kyoshi novel out now by author F.C. Yee and franchise co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be very rewarding for fans of the original Airbender series. I always thought that Avatar Kyoshi deserved an origin story of some sort and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that it'd be a novel. I need to check it out soon.

• Brohoof 3

I feel a bit ashamed for not watching the show during it's initial run from 2005 to 2008 but when I finally got them on DVD in 2015 I finally saw what I've been missing out on. 

No matter how late one is to seeing watching or playing something, as long as someone can find something to enjoy in it, it is worth existing

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't have Nick so I saw these some months after it was done for most people who cared about it

I've seen the original show in reruns on Nicktoons

Liked it very much. Epic really. Too much to tell, and those who have watched it know why it's great

I've seen the spiritual sequel (pun somewhat intended) when it came on in the same channel

I liked everything about the sequel, except the fact that it kills certain 'people' in the process of how the main character gets her powers back, although I don't know if past lives count as people. I really wish they hadn't done that, but otherwise it was great

I especially liked the ending and that she finally found love ♥️

There probably won't be anything new of this series until the live action remake of the first show is done, which I'm pretty excited about and hope they do it right

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 3