Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Celestia or Luna could pull off a sonic rainboom?

Sepul-Coloratura

I don't think so, since Celestia and Luna are not exactly known for their skills at flying, as shown by Princess Twilight Sparkle, where Twilight was able to tail them pretty easily in the flashback despite just recently becoming an alicorn. The Sonic Rainboom, I don't believe is like a secret power in an anime that every character has their own specific utilization of, it's described as a flying move that a pegasus can do from going so fast that causes a sonic boom and a rainbow to happen at once. I don't see the reason for different types of such a phenomenon. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I don't think so, since Celestia and Luna are not exactly known for their skills at flying, as shown by Princess Twilight Sparkle, where Twilight was able to tail them pretty easily in the flashback despite just recently becoming an alicorn. The Sonic Rainboom, I don't believe is like a secret power in an anime that every character has their own specific utilization of, it's described as a flying move that a pegasus can do from going so fast that causes a sonic boom and a rainbow to happen at once. I don't see the reason for different types of such a phenomenon. 

Yeah, sonic rainboom it's an old legend. But when other pegasus does it, would it still be a rainbow colored trail?

• Brohoof 1

That's an intriguing question.

Well, I don't know, if they could do it they won't show it cause they are not like Rainbow Dash. But I think Twilight Sparkle can do the Sonic Rainbow, she even got her own contrail in Twilight's Kingdom (1 or 2? I just don't remember).

This is all my opinion, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna doing sonic Rainbow still remains buried and covered in mystery (until Lauren Faust decides to wrote an episode about them doing the SR/Sonic Rainboom which I think will never happen or exist)

• Brohoof 3

It's probably unique to pegasuses. In Princess Twilight Sparkle, Twilight used magic to make that star burst, which means it technically wasn't a sonic rainboom, and when she had the power of all four alicorns in Twilight's Kingdom, she had a contrail the same colour as her mane, and was fast enough to create a shockwave, but still didn't create the rainbow explosion.

bscap0016.jpg.5efb7b3164004db0eb0ceda90468dda7.jpg
RD's version

bscap0017.jpg.0afc2f73b9208cb966da8b61a8a10f7b.jpg

Twilight's version.

I guess other pegasuses going fast enough would create both a rainbow, sonic boom and have a contrail with colours matching their mane.

As for Luna and Celestia, they could probably simulate it using magic and speed, but it probably shouldn't be considered a sonic rainboom if they need to do what Twilight did.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Sunny Fox said:

It's probably unique to pegasuses. In Princess Twilight Sparkle, Twilight used magic to make that star burst, which means it technically wasn't a sonic rainboom, and when she had the power of all four alicorns in Twilight's Kingdom, she had a contrail the same colour as her mane, and was fast enough to create a shockwave, but still didn't create the rainbow explosion. I guess other pegasuses going fast enough would create both a rainbow, sonic boom and have a contrail with colours matching their mane.

In-universe: I agree with you, since I only heard that as a rumor from Roseluck and since Tires got me, I just laid on the grass, eating grass :pinkie:

• Brohoof 3