Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music 80s - early 90s Thrash Metal suggestions?

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

Any 80s - early 90s thrash metal suggestions? Here's a list of albums that I already heard in that genre and era. Bold to what I liked eapecially more.

• Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
  • Anthrax - Fistful of Steel, Spreading the Disease, Among the Living
  • Annihilator - Alice in Hell
  • Artillery - Terror Squad, By Inheritance
  • Аспид - Кровоизлияние
  • Bathory - Bathory
  • Believer - Sanity Obscure
  • Beyond Possession - Is Beyond Possession
  • Body Count - Body Count
  • Bulldozer - IX
  • Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
  • Coroner - Punishment for Decadence, No More Color
  • Dark Angel - We Have Arrived, Darkness Descends, Time Does Not Heal
  • Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
  • Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
  • Destruction - Sentence of Death EP, Infernal Overkill, Eternal Devastation, Mad Butcher EP, Release From Agony
  • Devastation - Signs of Life, Idolatry
  • Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
  • Exodus - Bonded By Blood, Pleasure of the flesh, Fabulous Disaster
  • Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre
  • Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver, No Place For Disgrace
  • Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
  • Gammacide - Victims of Science
  • Heathen - Victims of Deception
  • Holy Terror - Terror and Submission, Mind Wars
  • Indestructible Noise Command - The Visitor
  • Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy
  • Kat - 666, Oddech Wymarłych Światów
  • Kreator - Endless Pain, Flag of Hate EP, Pleasure to Kill, Terrible Certainty, Extreme aggression
  • Lääz Rockit - Know Your Enemy, Annihilation Principal
  • Medieval - Reign of Terror
  • Megadeth - Killing Is My Business, Peace Sells, So Far So Good So What, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction
  • Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann
  • Merciless - The Awakening
  • Metal Church - Metal Church, The Dark
  • Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Metallica
  • Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
  • Nuclear Assault - Game Over, Handle With Care
  • Overkill - Feel the Fire, Taking Over, Under the Influence, The Years of Decay, Horroracope
  • Paradox - Heresy
  • Piledriver - Metal Inquisition
  • Poison - Into the Abyss
  • Possessed - Seven Churches
  • Protector - Golem, Urm the Mad, A Shredding of Skin
  • Razor - Evil Invaders, Violent Resolution
  • Realm - Endless War
  • Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
  • Sacred Reich - Ignorance, The American Way
  • Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune
  • Sadus - Illusions
  • Sarcófago - INRI, The Laws of Scouege
  • Sepultura - Bestial Devastation, Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos AD
  • Slaughter - Surrender or Die, Strappado
  • Slayer - Show No Mercy, Haunting the Chapel EP, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss
  • Sodom - In the Sign of Evil, Obsessed By Cruelty (US, EU), Expurse of Sodomy, Persecution Mania, Agent Orange, Tapping the Vein
  • Stormtroopers of Death - Speak English or Die
  • Testament - The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach
  • Tormentor - Anno Domini
  • Turbo - Kawaleria Szatana
  • Vendetta - Brain Damage
  • Viking - Do or Die
  • Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
  • Voivod - War and Pain, Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology
  • Wargasm - Why Play Around
  • Whiplash - Power and Pain, Ticket to Mayhem
  • Znowhite - Act of God
Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
deleted venom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Listen to Motorhead's Ace of Spades album.

Duh, of course I listened to that album before. It's a classic, and influential, but not thrash.

3 minutes ago, Cpl_Dixon said:

Don't know if this constitutes as Thrash, but I'd suggest: Liege Lord - Master Control.

Hide contents

I forgot to mention this album! It's been under my radar and it had a damm good 80s speed metal vibe. If you like this, you should try Thundersteel by Riot.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

Testament- Souls Of Black. 

Pantera- Cowboys From Hell (guessing you've probably heard it already. And yes, it is a thrash album)

Armored Saint- March Of The Saint, Delirious Nomad, Raising Fear, Saints Will Conquer, Symbol Of Salvation

Judas Priest- Painkiller, Jugulator (yes, I consider those thrash albums)

Suicidal Tendencies- Suicidal Tendencies, Join the Army, How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today, Lights, Camera, Revolution

Carnivore- Carnivore, Retaliation

Holy Moses- Queen Of Slam, Finished With The Dogs, The New Machine Of Lichtenstein, World Chaos, Terminal Terror, Reborn Dogs

Meshuggah- Contradictions Collapse (they were originally a thrash band)

Onslaught- Power from Hell, The Force, In Search of Sanity

Death Angel- Frolic Through The Park, Act III

Anthrax- State Of Euphoria, Persistence Of Time

Korzus- Sonho Maniaco, Pray For Your Lies, Mass Illusion

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
5 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Pantera- Cowboys From Hell (guessing you've probably heard it already. And yes, it is a thrash album)

Well, the reason I don't consider this thrash is because they made their own schism. They invented a unique sryle that influenced so many post 90s metal bands which aren't thrash.

Judas Priest- Painkiller, Jugulator (yes, I consider those thrash albums)

I don't classify them as thrash. No doubt they were heavily influenced by the thrash movement and they were accepting new heavy approaches, but they mixed those aspects with their own style.

The other reason why I don't consider them thrash is because a music genre is heavily associated with the time and era. Of course there are bands that does pretty much the same thrash stuff from the 80s, but they are thrash revival. They are tied with a certain era too. Painkiller and Jugulator didn't come from a thrash era or movememt, nor they were trying to recreate that. It's something unique in it's own right. Judas Priest always adopted quickly to the heavy music trend, and dropped some of the best albums of that era.

Only for a technical stand point, St. Anger is closer to a thrash approach than Painkiller or Jugulator.

Meshuggah- Contradictions Collapse (they were originally a thrash band)

I heard this album as well. It was the easiest Meshuggah album to start because it was thrash and heavily influenced by ...and Justice For All. Sometimes it feels like a spiritual siccessor of it way more than the black album. If metalica went prog, they would have released something like this two albums later.

2 hours ago, Cpl_Dixon said:

Iron Angel - Hellish Crossfire is another album that comes to mind.

Hide contents

Thanks. This is awesome.

14 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Well, the reason I don't consider this thrash is because they made their own schism. They invented a unique sryle that influenced so many post 90s metal bands which aren't thrash.

I don't classify them as thrash. No doubt they were heavily influenced by the thrash movement and they were accepting new heavy approaches, but they mixed those aspects with their own style.

The other reason why I don't consider them thrash is because a music genre is heavily associated with the time and era. Of course there are bands that does pretty much the same thrash stuff from the 80s, but they are thrash revival. They are tied with a certain era too. Painkiller and Jugulator didn't come from a thrash era or movememt, nor they were trying to recreate that. It's something unique in it's own right. Judas Priest always adopted quickly to the heavy music trend, and dropped some of the best albums of that era.

Only for a technical stand point, St. Anger is closer to a thrash approach than Painkiller or Jugulator.

I heard this album as well. It was the easiest Meshuggah album to start because it was thrash and heavily influenced by ...and Justice For All. Sometimes it feels like a spiritual siccessor of it way more than the black album. If metalica went prog, they would have released something like this two albums later.

So it's not just sound, but whether or not the album was intentioned as part of the thrash movement as opposed to changing the sound to join in like Priest or influencing another genre like Pantera. 

Though I question the logic since you have Poison, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Discharge on your list too. 

And St.Anger closer to a thrash approach? 

:bea: Wut? 

6 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

So it's not just sound, but whether or not the album was intentioned as part of the thrash movement as opposed to changing the sound to join in like Priest or influencing another genre like Pantera. 

Though I question the logic since you have Poison, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Discharge on your list too. 

And St.Anger closer to a thrash approach? 

:bea: Wut? 

Poison (german band)'s album, Into the Abyss is unmistakably thrash.

I consider the first Bathory album pretty much solid thrash with eerie vocals and a unique tone. Early black metal wasn't very distant from thrash.

I don't know how to specifically classify Celtic Frost because they are very unique, but many metal bands inventing new genres used thrash as their medium and a vehicle in the 80s. I put Discharge because there are already so many hardcore punk bands that shares the same vein with thrash, but this band especially has more similarities with thrash. (Protest and Survive is a prime example)

St. Anger might sound like shit, but their songwriting and buildups, structures and riffs uses many thrash conventions, which themselves established 20 years ago.