• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Title: The Last Laugh
Air Date: August 3, 2019
Written By: Michael P. Fox & Wil Fox

Synopsis: Pinkie Pie seeks help out her old friend, Cheese Sandwich, in finding her life's purpose.

Watch live and chat with us on EquestriaTV in the CMC Clubhouse!

2099798.gif

• Brohoof 5

Cheese's assistant, Sans Smirk is a fine example of comically serious. Not much of a laugher but actually cares about the spirits of Cheese Sandwich and his factory worker.

He's my latest favorite one shot character

• Brohoof 7

• The topic was featured

I was cautious of the possibility that Sans Smirk was somehow behind the loss of Cheese's voice, but I'm glad that wasn't the case. An interesting episode, worth it just for Weird Al returning again.

• Brohoof 3

The episode had an interesting concept, but I feel like Weird Al was misused. Having the guy who is great at being funny and energetic and making him play a miserable character for a good chunk of the episode was a strange decision. The song was very Yankovic though, I liked it. 

The most interesting part for me was Pinkie searching for her purpose and acknowledging that every other Mane Six member has already found hers. The hat joke made me laugh really hard.

Also, the episode had a very important message about entertainment being manufactured, mass-produced and standardized. However, the factory wasn’t closed at the end of the day, and that’s even more important.

• Brohoof 1

Let's just say I wasn't really impressed with Cheese Sandwich in this episode. Nor I really liked the Wonka and the chocolate factory reference within the episode.:huh: it was just really dated reference for me.

They said humor is relative, but it didn't work for me either.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 5

Not surprised that there was a song given that this is 'Weird' Al Yankovic we're talking about. As an accomplished singer with decades under his belt, him not singing a song would've been too weird, so props for giving him one more for MLP. As far as the episode goes, it did what it needed to do and so I can't really complain. I did like the character of Sans Smirk. He comes off as very loyal to Cheese Sandwich whilst retaining a near stoic presence that wasn't malicious in any way.

Was this episode better than Pinkie's Pride? This is a comparison that's to be expected given how both feature the appearance of Cheese Sandwich, but it's one that I'm not going to go into as that. Let's just say that foresight is something that can be beneficial at the right time.

• Brohoof 7

This episode was *really* disappointing for me, TBH. :blush:

It felt like the writers didn't want to make another episode with Cheese Sandwich but, they had to come up with something & this was the end result. 

• Brohoof 1

MLP That’s A Laugh

I saw the new episode this morning. It was great to see Cheese Sandwich in a speaking role before the series ends. So awesome that Weird Al came back! The episode was well paced and everybody was in character. It was so nice to see Pinkie helping Cheese as a friend. Since the first Cheese Sandwich  episode “Pinkie Pride” aired after the new episode I could more clearly see how much the animation has improved. Only thing I wish was explained more was why Pinkie felt she needed a bigger purpose. It was addressed somewhat with the other Mane 5 in the castle, but not very deeply IMHO.

• Brohoof 2

Though definitely no Pinkie Pride, Weird Al’s return to the show as Cheese Sandwich was still stellar. The way he delivers his lines as a somber pony who’s forgotten joy just makes you anticipate the moment when he finally busts out in song, the best part of the episode to me, more and more excitedly, all of the gags at the gag factory were creative and clever, especially that moving banana peel, and the underlying message really spoke to me. You can have pure motives in the pursuit of success in business that are only futile if they lead you to deny who you really are. Oh yeah, and the business pony’s name is Sans. Priceless. :laugh: Not casting bets on that being an Undertale reference, but I wouldn’t have any bones about it either. :kirin:

• Brohoof 1

Soo back from the hiatus and from the Rainbow Roadrip which was a younger audience type and interested  me less. Sometimes I like episodes to not have much to comment on because I am busy with other things. An episode by the Fox bros, usually famed for not making very good episodes, their previous being Yakiti-Six and I must say the episode was quite fine for a Pinkie episode, nothing wrong with it and I found it much better than Yakity that annoyed with the sound of the instrument.

I have forgotten which episode I've seen Cheese Sandwich in and what season it was, I almost forgot him if not for the chicken plush.

With these names 'Last crusade' 'last laugh' it almost sounded Pinkie was going to make a change but they remain where they are with the Mane6 so this was not expected. I cannot trace whether such factory has any reference but it's the first time I see such a thing even if it is like a real factory for toys.What does the name Cheese Sandwich have to do with amusement again? It looked like a cheese factory with these yellow helmets :yay: I was all the time thinking they are making cheese.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep210-TheLastLaugh.thumb.jpg.84b4c76f3e61020543e93d67d38e8335.jpg

Is Cheese Sandwich representing someone with a dreadlock mane style? That's how I perceive it.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep210-TheLastLaugh2.thumb.jpg.3bb5ad523c246a03f489b5cefff9a47b.jpg

The R&Doffice looked quite clean all in white like some futuristic place but irl that's most likely a dusty place.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep210-TheLastLaugh3.thumb.jpg.63d11172fd0712c7d1b3c0cfffd3e9a6.jpg

Pinkie eps are not my pie and idc about songs, t he song was ugh.. random but it was a pleasant episode in the end that just gave a pleasant feeling as a light episode, so 4.5/5 as nothing bad was found in how the story went in my view.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 2

This ep is just like Common Ground, an episode feature the returning celebrity character but not better than their first episodes. The idea of gags factory is interesting, why need to make people laugh in person when you can mass-produce laugh?:orly: The cost is Cheese lost his laugh, which is too high for his lifestyle, and he prefer to travel the world to spread joys more than sit in the gloomy factory which is supposed to be produce joys.:dash: Pinkie learned something in the end, that she already has her purpose in life in her all along. The end, Sans Smirk runs the factory.:mustache:

This ep is not just as exciting as I expected it to be, and I didn't even compare this ep to Pinkie Pride. This is Cheese Sandwich (or Weird Ai) we are talking about, why did they make this ep less exciting than Between Dark and Dawn which is just a typical mid-age crisis story and roadtrip? Fox bros episodes usually lack some excitement, even they got 2 funniest characters of the entire show, that all they can do. If this ep was written by Mike or Nick, how much fun this ep could get? Where is the madness, where is boundry that need to cross? In the end, nothing is really progressive, Pinkie is still Pinkie, Cheese is still Cheese, the status quo is not even flinched. 

Despite all I said, Fox bros and production team didn't screw up anything. The story, the pacing, the characters are decent, nothing from this ep can really make you cringe or mad but this ep just lack something, some little crazy that the show just lost recently. A decent episode, not gonna shit on them just because of my ridiculous standard or anything, 7.5/10.:ooh: 

• Brohoof 4

I actually thought that was pretty great. Sure, it wasn't the best episode ever but I think it was a nice slice of life episode.

• Brohoof 5

16 hours ago, ImpctR said:

Is Cheese Sandwich representing someone with a dreadlock mane style? That's how I perceive it.

Actually it's a reference to the late Steve Jobs, the founder and former CEO of Apple.

• Brohoof 2

Meh. It was alright. It's great to see Cheese Sandwich again but I felt like it was pretty pointless since I thought Pinkie already know her purpose in life. Isn't the Smile song kinda answered her whole question?

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Adamgreen said:

Meh. It was alright. It's great to see Cheese Sandwich again but I felt like it was pretty pointless since I thought Pinkie already know her purpose in life. Isn't the Smile song kinda answered her whole question?

I think the opening where she lists all of the other Mane Six's accomplishments does a decent job at explaining Pinkie's thought process here. Lot's of things have changed since back when she sang that Smile song, Rarity opened multiple boutiques, Rainbow became a Wonderbolt, Fluttershy conquered most of her shyness and opened an animal sanctuary, Twilight became a Princess and is even set to rule Equestria soon, etc. Only her and AJ have really stayed mostly the same, and she's feeling a little left behind. Now she hears that even Cheeses has "Moved on" and opened up this Gag factory too. People's "Purpose" can change, you can be totally content with your life and know what you want to do at one point, then change your mind later.

Of course, by the end of the episode Pinkie realizes that she actually does still know her purpose, just like Cheese she's a party pony who needs to be out there making ponies laugh and smile.

• Brohoof 2

So basically this whole episode was Charlie and The Chocolate Factory ponified. And because of that I'll give it a 9/10. Very cute episode. 

• Brohoof 1

It was good to see the return of Weird Al Yankovic as Cheese Sandwich for the final season, and what he had been up to since we last saw him.

Honestly, I kind of respect that Cheese wanted to mass produce his party pony props for the masses, but he forgot the golden rule of his purpose in life and his Cutie Mark: To see the smiles he brings to other ponies in person. As a result, he unintentionally shut himself inside his factory, thus causing him to lose his laugh because he could no longer see the smiles he brought to other ponies in person.

Thanks to Pinkie, he found his way again, and his laugh, and assigns his Vice President, Sans Smirk, to take over the factory for him while he heads back out with Boneless 2 to find new ideas for the factory as he resumes his life as a traveling party pony planner.

All in all, great way to bring back Cheese since Pinkie Pride, so this episode gets a 9/10, maybe a perfect 10/10, from me.

Edited by Sonic5421
Minor punctuation correction
  • Brohoof 1