Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are the odds G5 will be "dumbed down" again?

ggg-2

G4 and FIM were a high point in the franchise quality wise compared to the other generations, with G3 perhaps being the worst offender (looking at you Newborn Cuties!), but what are the odds g5 will once again get dumbed down?

7 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

G4 and FIM were a high point in the franchise quality wise compared to the other generations, with G3 perhaps being the worst offender (looking at you Newborn Cuties!), but what are the odds g5 will once again get dumbed down?

I'm not sure I understand what yöu mean

Really depends on who's in charge honestly. FiM was one of the most successful things Hasbro's ever made and I'm pretty sure they're gonna want to try to repeat that success. They just need the right people in charge to make it a reality

• Brohoof 3

28 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

I mean certain other generations were a lot more babyish than G4.

Oh I see

Yeah, like the others said: it would be a shame to lose the brony fandom by making a baby generation again :nom: 

I can't imagine they would do it intentionally, given the unprecedented success of FiM. At the same time, G5 probably won't be a carbon copy of G4 - it will be interesting to see what they do with it, but I'm optimistic that they'll put out another really good product. Even if it's not necessarily geared toward our fandom, I don't expect a babyish show that lacks any real content.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

There is always the risk (knowing Hasbro).
But I don't think so. "MLP The movie", the special "Rainbow Roadtrip", and most of Equestria Girls are basically the product of Hasbro (compared to G4 which was defined by Lauren Faust & Co).
I don't think it is going to be as connected to fans though, like replying to the Internet about a joke or something. Pretty sure they will also not create a character like Derpy (don't ask me how Derpy is more visible in Equestria Girls than in FIM, I have no clue how Hasbro really works).

• Brohoof 1

Depends on who the target audience is for the toys, though considering the peripheral success G4 brought in, they may try to go for a more broad appeal, expanding the reach to the pre-teen demographic or try to attract boys in the 3-11 age group too. I don't think it will be dumbed down new born cuties style, as that didn't help sales and only hurt their reputation. Doing so again would only kill the good will they've garnered among us older fans, and thus harm any potential profit we could give them. They know that all our eyes will be on G5.

I don't think so. FiM was successful beyond Hasbro's wildest expectations, so they'll certainly try to keep the brony fandom alive with the next incarnation, even if it's just because bronies tend to have control over their own money and would thus buy a lot of merch. From a purely business standpoint, they'd be nuts to go back to something like G3.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt it will go as low as some other generations did. It has a legacy to maintain now. We've even seen the toys more directly advertised to both genders, so I don't think Hasbro only has 5 year old girls on their mind now. It's unlikely it will be as good as G4, but I expect it will still be a fun show. If it's not, I'll be sad.

McCarthy is a part of this project seeing as she works for fim something tells me this will at least be good-great. FIM was kind of lightning in a bottle it would be hard to do that again. No one ever expected it would become what it did.

as long as they don’t try too hard to make it fim version two and make it a show that people just enjoy watching they’re gonna do fine I think.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it will be majorly dumbed down, but keep in mind that the show will still be a tie in to merchandise and whatnot. In that regard, the target audience will mostly still be the younger crowd,which may require certain things to be dumbed down regardless.

8 minutes ago, Cash In said:

I don't think it will be majorly dumbed down, but keep in mind that the show will still be a tie in to merchandise and whatnot. In that regard, the target audience will mostly still be the younger crowd,which may require certain things to be dumbed down regardless.

There is a nine season legacy (and a movie, and a spinoff) for G4 that isn't going away, and should still feed G4 toy sales due to re-runs.

It would make sense to try and target G5 at a different age group (probably a younger group than G4) given that, if they just wanted to target the G4 viewers, there would be no need to start a G5?

7 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

It would make sense to try and target G5 at a different age group (probably a younger group than G4) given that, if they just wanted to target the G4 viewers, there would be no need to start a G5?

Let's hope the target group is not going to be younger than for G4. There is a reason to end G4 and start G5, even if targeting the same viewers. For one, it would allow for new toys to be sold to both kids and adult fans. Also, since there are a lot of adult fans of the show, the demand for quality is higher, the creators may have just run out of ideas for G4 and continuing it would mean gradually diminishing quality and the loss of adult fans (who probably spend more than the parents of kid fans). They didn't want to keep the show as more slice-of-life than it already is (even though I would like it, I like Lucky Star after all) and there is enough plot development and drastic changes you can make before it gets ridiculous (just look at Stargate SG-1, what would you put in season 11?).

Doing a reboot, changing some stuff up, but leaving the main characters that a lot of people love with slight changes may be interesting and would allow for new ideas because the setting/world is different.

I hope that adult fans of the show are enough of a consideration to the bottom line of Hasbro so that G5 is not going to be made for kids only (that is, dumbed down).

G4 is G-rated, I don't know how you could dumb down that even more than it's already is. My little pony for preschoolers? I guarantee, the show is going to tank.

Edited by R.D.Dash

I think dumb down in a sense would just mainly be self contained episodes without any major climatic overarching plot development or minimum like reoccurring small time antagonists to get thwarted. This would be if FIM did filler episodes for the whole series without the big Twilight progression episodes.

G-5 could also move to cut the episode's time run in half where everything get resolved quicker.

Edited by Singe

• 10 months later...