Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your favorite Retro Video Games/Gaming Consoles

Coffee

This is a very difficult choice to make, because I have a soft spot for many of the systems I have owned. The PS2, Gamecube and original Xbox are systems that I have special memories with. Going back further, I loved both the N64 and PS1 and it is hard to say which one I played more. However, going back a bit further than that does give me a definite choice: The Super Nintendo, to me, was the king of the16-bit era.

• Brohoof 1

I like a lot of retro systems, but some of my standout favourites are the Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube. My ultimate favourite is the Mega Drive though which was my first console and my favourite games on the system are the Sonic games and Streets of Rage 1 and 2 :) 

20190726_203930.thumb.jpg.afc2d81baf2ef8b7291264b095fc0e45.jpg

Some of my Mega Drive/Genesis consoles

• Brohoof 3

i only had one gaming console, so.. GameBoy(still have that brick somewhere, i loved it)
as for retro games(non-console), half life, baldur's gate 2 and Heroes of might and magic 3

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

My ultimate favourite is the Mega Drive though which was my first console and my favourite games on the system are the Sonic games and Streets of Rage 1 and 2 :) 

Hide contents

20190726_203930.thumb.jpg.afc2d81baf2ef8b7291264b095fc0e45.jpg

Some of my Mega Drive/Genesis consoles

Same! Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Sega CD. All the original Sonic games. All the Street of Range games. I am defined by music and art from those games!

In the later days, I have accepted more and more of Nintendo. They keep bringing really good quality stuff that reminds me of the good old days.

• Brohoof 3

22 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

i only had one gaming console, so.. GameBoy(still have that brick somewhere, i loved it)
as for retro games(non-console), half life, baldur's gate 2 and Heroes of might and magic 3

For Gameboy, did you ever play Super Mario Land? If so, what do you think about the main overworld music? It's addictive to me! I love it!

The games I grew up with (Gameboy):

Tetris (duh!)
Metroid II

Yea, that's it! Also Metroid II's main music, so goooooood!

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

For Gameboy, did you ever play Super Mario Land? If so, what do you think about the main overworld music? It's addictive to me! I love it!

The games I grew up with (Gameboy):

Tetris (duh!)
Metroid II

Yea, that's it! Also Metroid II's main music, so goooooood!

no, the only mario game i ever played was mario kart with some others on my brother's switch, none of the old ones, my gameboy basically had pokemon blue(which i later traded with a friend to take red), a fighting game i don't recall the name of and tetris

• Brohoof 1

The original DS? That thing is almost fifteen years old, so it could be considered retro.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 3

I would point out that Xbox 360 is retro. Change my mind.

NES has a lot of memories. But when I think about it, I did not play many good games for it. Recently I have been collecting for Sega CD and Saturn. I like consoles that didn't so well. 

On my Bronycon trip I bought a bunch of Sega CD and Saturn games. I also got 3 Atari Jaguar games.

• Brohoof 4

Nothing will ever kill the nostalgia of the NES and the Playstation for me. :pinkie: My absolute favorite retro video game console of all time though is the PSP. Even today, I can't get over my appreciation for a handheld console that allowed you to stop the game whenever you wanted and resume it exactly where you left off whenever you wanted. :yay:

The Nintendo 64 and GCN were where it's at. While Nintendo has made some great games since (Breath of the Wild being the biggest standout), I do miss the days back when Nintendo was focused less on gimmickry and more on just plain solid systems with outstanding games. I know that there was gimmickry on the GCN (hooking up the GBA, the e-Reader stuff), but back then it was so small it could easily be neglected, and even the games where it was used were still amazing top of the line games without it (Animal Crossing).

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, FeatherStream said:

commander keen 4 and 5

Oh, MS-DOS, my favorite console. I am one of those nerds who can't live without a real MS-DOS machine. :love:

• Brohoof 3

N64 because it had the best controller by far. Some decent games too, like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Star Wars Starfighter. The Mario Party games weren't too bad either. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is my favorite retro video game. I used to be obsessed with this game. I would ask my friend to come over so she could play as Tails and me as Sonic. We would get through the entire game in a few hours. It was always fun and our thumbs hurt so badly after a run through constantly pushing on the D pad.

(edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is my favorite retro video game. I used to be obsessed with this game. I would ask my friend to come over so she could play as Tails and me as Sonic. We would get through the entire game in a few hours. It was always fun and our thumbs hurt so badly after a run through constantly pushing on the D pad.

It is fun to play with others on Sonic games, I'm a big Sonic The Hedgehog Fan

Edited by StarrySkyDash
  • Brohoof 2

On 8/9/2019 at 3:08 AM, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

I can see that in front of me, less than an hour to Sky Chase, then the rest of the hours trying to not die on the last boss. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

I tried collecting back in America but found it to be quite expensive. I own a Famicom, Super Famicom, and N64 that I bought here in Japan and manage to get games for them cheap here. Granted they’re all in Japanese but still lots of fun to play and cheap to collect. Even got myself a copy of Mother 2 for SFC for less than $10 where a SNES cart is about $70-$100.

Depends on the era since I've played through so many of them. I mean, I like my Atari 2600 and ColecoVision, but I also like the NES, Super NES and Nintendo 64. After that era, my interest declined. The Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 era was alright and I enjoyed the games but it didn't have the same punch.

But, you also can't beat things the original Apple II, Commodore 64, Amiga and IBM XTs running DOS. I also like the PC88 and X68K from Japan, among others.

Personally, I collect retro PC stuff. Mainly games but some hardware. I actually have an IBM XT running DOS (not even MS-DOS). I have a basement full of big boxes from the bygone PC gaming eras.

• 1 year later...