Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the pony equivalent of a steak dinner would be?

ZomBrony

This is a fun little discussion topic that just crossed my mind. x3

I often find myself faced with a situation like this while I'm RPing. I already told my friend it would have to be a magnificent sandwich or astonishing salad to be on par with steak dinner, but I want to know what everypony else thinks. And to offer some more discussion points, why not come up with any food alternatives you can think of? I hope we're all agreed that ponies don't eat meat. :P

Just now, Lucky Bolt said:

Seeing as how this is discussing ponies, I have moved it to Sugarcube Corner

Dang it! x3 I wasn't sure if it was related enough to ponies or not. Thank you though!

Assuming strict vegetarianism, tofu or something soybean-based. (Soybean is actually a very common part of horse feed, but like steak, must be cooked somewhat well.) Portobello mushrooms might also be a good vegetarian steak-like dish, and yes, horses can eat at least some types.

I do, however, think that ponies are not necessary strict vegetarians, as Twilight in "Surf and/or Turf" was open to drinking salmon juice. Salmon might in fact be an "exotic" dish for ponies, appealing to the wealthy or adventurous, and perhaps with increased contact with the hippogriffs, salmon dishes, and thus salmon steak, might become more mainstream.

Something based on oats? I remember being told or I read or saw somewhere that work horses are fed oats for energy and muscle. Think e.g. ploughing, cart-pulling etc.

This is why running a farm based on horse power got more complicated than when using oxen as the work animals. As well as the usual fields you want to cultivate, you then also have to add one or more fields of oats as energy food for the horse(s).

8 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

Assuming strict vegetarianism, tofu or something soybean-based. (Soybean is actually a very common part of horse feed, but like steak, must be cooked somewhat well.) Portobello mushrooms might also be a good vegetarian steak-like dish, and yes, horses can eat at least some types.

I do, however, think that ponies are not necessary strict vegetarians, as Twilight in "Surf and/or Turf" was open to drinking salmon juice. Salmon might in fact be an "exotic" dish for ponies, appealing to the wealthy or adventurous, and perhaps with increased contact with the hippogriffs, salmon dishes, and thus salmon steak, might become more mainstream.

I thought tofu was only a meat substitute though. I like how in depth your answer is, but I've always been under the impression that ponies were completely meat-free. I entertained the idea that it was completely unthought of, and they'd be horrified if anypony ever did. It makes sense that Hippogriffs could introduce fish though.

Can you explain a little more about why they might like tofu, or come up with anything else? 

4 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Whatever the tiny things Rarity and Pinkie was eating in Canterlot at Spice Up Your Life.

Or a hay steak. They already have hay burgers.

I'll have to watch that episode again to see if you're right. x3 And maybe hey steaks. owo I'm just not sure how that'd work.

8 hours ago, Tropical Melody said:

Something based on oats? I remember being told or I read or saw somewhere that work horses are fed oats for energy and muscle. Think e.g. ploughing, cart-pulling etc.

This is why running a farm based on horse power got more complicated than when using oxen as the work animals. As well as the usual fields you want to cultivate, you then also have to add one or more fields of oats as energy food for the horse(s).

Oats are a good idea! I always forget to incorporate oats when I'm designing pony foods. It's usually just hay or salad. x3

Some sort of savory oat dish could be a possible substitute.

3 hours ago, ZomBrony said:

I thought tofu was only a meat substitute though. I like how in depth your answer is, but I've always been under the impression that ponies were completely meat-free. I entertained the idea that it was completely unthought of, and they'd be horrified if anypony ever did. It makes sense that Hippogriffs could introduce fish though.

Can you explain a little more about why they might like tofu, or come up with anything else? 

While tofu has historically been a meat substitute, not all of the various theories on its origin indicate that it was developed to promote a vegetarian diet specifically. (In fact, many in East Asia today do not regard tofu strictly as a meat substitute, but a dish in its own right.) Note too that meat had historically been a food for the rich, so getting protein in through plants was more of a necessity than a choice for the average person. Many theories on its origin do indicate, however, that tofu developed in China partly because the Chinese did not raise cows or goats for dairy on a large scale (and many Chinese are still lactose intolerant). By contrast, cheese seems very well established in pony culture.

As far as explaining why they'd like tofu, I really can't say anything beyond why any human would like tofu.  

As to other ideas, since cheese is well-liked by ponies, Welsh rarebitCauliflower cheese, or even macaroni and cheese might also be the equivalent of a steak.

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

While tofu has historically been a meat substitute, not all of the various theories on its origin indicate that it was developed to promote a vegetarian diet specifically. (In fact, many in East Asia today do not regard tofu strictly as a meat substitute, but a dish in its own right.) Note too that meat had historically been a food for the rich, so getting protein in through plants was more of a necessity than a choice for the average person. Many theories on its origin do indicate, however, that tofu developed in China partly because the Chinese did not raise cows or goats for dairy on a large scale (and many Chinese are still lactose intolerant). By contrast, cheese seems very well established in pony culture.

As far as explaining why they'd like tofu, I really can't say anything beyond why any human would like tofu.  

As to other ideas, since cheese is well-liked by ponies, Welsh rarebitCauliflower cheese, or even macaroni and cheese might also be the equivalent of a steak.

Ooh, I really like that rarebit idea! :D

And I had no idea about all that tofu lore, thank you. x3 I guess it could be an acceptable substitute then. I don't know much about a horse's diet, but I would assume they need a certain level of protein too.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, ZomBrony said:

Oats are a good idea! I always forget to incorporate oats when I'm designing pony foods. It's usually just hay or salad. x3

I was thinking like some sort of oat cake that is er, steak shaped :D

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Tropical Melody said:

I was thinking like some sort of oat cake that is er, steak shaped :D

Still has to be savoury. :P But I like that! A fun idea. c:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:09 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

There is no substitute for steak. These ponies are just going to have to adapt and eat meat. Break out the steak sauce!!

Beef, it's what's for dinnah! :kirin:

It's not as easy to do as dropping steak on the barbecue and sprinkling sauces and spices on it, but there is some absolutely amazing vegan cuisine out there. "The Tasty Treat" is the place to go.

• 11 months later...