Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Your Fanon-Discontinuity Moments

Castle Bleck

What do you dislike so much, your only recourse seems to be outright Fanon Discontinuity?

For me, one example is Sombra's role in The Beginning Of The End...

Strike 1: R.I.P., worldbuilding and development from the comics.

Strike 2: No-nonsense, genre-savvy beast like before? Nope -- monologuey, overconfident stereotype.

Strike 3: Little more than the KGBeast to Grogar's Amanda Waller.

Edited by Antagonist 🦹♂️

The entire SugarMac ship. Bad first episode/impression? Strike 1. Involves a character with barely an episode's worth of development? strike 2. Makes Big Mac, an otherwise intelligent wise character, look like a lovesick imbecile? Stee-rike 3! You're out!

Edited by ggg-2

I much rather do a fan fic rather than flat out pretend they never existed.

In my case, it's Fame and Misfortune. It can be fixed if they dedicated one third to the bad side of the fanbase, one third to the good side, and the final third about the 2 sides clashing with the Mane 6 realizing there's always going to be good "fans" and bad "fans" and they should just keep doing things their own way

Also since this is the media discussion we don't necessarily have to talk about MLP Episodes

Edited by Will Guide

What turns me off? Basically gloried main character, the kind that only involved that one person. Annoying characters (especially females ones), Beating up the dead horse story plots, and the obvious direction in guys meet girl cliche.

RD became a Wonderbolt off screen. I don’t care how important Newbie Dash is, I hated it so much I refuse to accept it as canon, just about any other option would have been better 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

The Star Wars Sequels...

Strike 1: R.I.P., Legends.

Strike 2: Disappointment after disappointment with how the characters, the elements, etc., (both old and new) are handled.

Strike 3: Disney and Lucasfilm spamming Godwin's Law at anyone who criticizes this direction.

Edited by Antagonist
  • Brohoof 1

I very much agree about Sombra... I really enjoyed the comic version of his backstory and his second time returning after the Crystal Empire had reappeared. The umbrum, Radiant Hope, Princess Amore, all of that was so well thought out and added so much more depth to Sombra as a character. I understand why the show disregards the comics, but his reintroduction in Season 9 is so bland in comparison.

As for a non-pony example?

I like to think of Dragon Ball GT as an alternate continuity that diverged from the main one because Beerus didn't wake up from his decades-long slumber until many years later, some of the DBZ movies did occur, Frieza's army didn't resurrect him, and Zamasu didn't target Universe 7. Not something that was never canon to begin with, but rather a timeline of its own--separate from the main one in Dragon Ball Super--like the one that Future Trunks comes from. Even though there are some really terrible things about GT, there are some aspects of it that I would like to see in the main canon, like Super Saiyan 4 and the Shadow Dragons. Always annoys me when people try to pretend like GT never even existed.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:08 PM, Anti-Villain said:

What do you dislike so much that your only recourse seems to be outright Fanon Discontinuity?

For me, one example is Sombra's role in The Beginning Of The End...

Strike 2: Genre-savvy, no-nonsense beast like before? Nope -- monologuey, overconfident stereotype.

Fans who complained about the Crystal Empire must have been really happy, then. Me? I'm just glad he has more lines.

(edited)

@heavens-champion

I respectfully disagree with "More dialogue automatically improves a character" (not saying that's you, or anything; just saying that fans seem to overbelieve it for Sombra).

Just look at Kane post-unmasking in World Wrestling Entertainment, Samus Aran in Metroid: Other M, etc., for example.

Edited by Antagonist

Here's a wrestling one. The Invasion stroyline the WWF ran from April to December of 2001. A very sore spot for any wrestling fan.

Backstory: the Monday night wars between WWF and WCW ended not with a bang but a whimper. WCW spiraled into a debt ridden incoherent mess of nonsensical programming and backstage politics. AOL- Time Warner sold WCW to rivals WWF for a bargain. 

What should've happened: dream matches between WWF and WCW superstars. Stone Cold vs. Hollywood Hogan. The Undertaker vs. Sting. The Rock vs. Macho Man Randy Savage.  This was the Marvel vs. DC or Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter of the sports world. Millions of fans across the world were hyped.

What we got:

• WCW's main eventers choosing to sit out their lucrative contracts and thus not show up, cutting the star power in half.
  • All the WCW guys who did show up were lumped together into a band of evil doers, regardless of who they were or what rivalries they had prior. WWF stars "defected" to team WCW to "lend them credibility".
  • The WCW wrestlers were made into minions of the McMahon siblings, the spoiled children of WWF owner Vince McMahon who were out to take their fathers company. The most anticipated clash in wrestling history... was used to fuel a family drama staring the real life owners of the company. 

The result: WWF and WCW fans alike found the whole thing convoluted and distasteful. WWF fans tuned out in droves as the quality in programming dropped with no competition to challenge it, cutting the ratings in half. 

WCW fans tuned out all together, having seen the WWF treat their favorite stars like trash. More than 2/3 of all wrestling fans who watched TV on Monday nights dropped off the face of the earth. 

This one event killed pro-wrestling's popularity in America and no one, not even the now WWE, acknowledges that it happened. 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, Anti-Villain said:

The Star Wars Sequels...

Strike 1: R.I.P., Legends.

Strike 2: Disappointment after disappointment with how the characters, the elements, etc. (both old and new) are handled.

Strike 3: Disney and Lucasfilm spamming Godwin's Law against everyone who disagrees with this direction.

Well, I personally enjoyed Star Wars Rebels.

And I don't believe in that 3rd strike. It's unfair to blame the entire company when the blame should be on the specific people whose decisions caused the "downfall" of Star Wars

Edited by Will Guide

(edited)

@Will Guide

You're right; Rebels was a diamond in the rough (granted, it wasn't a Sequel).

Also, when I say "Disney and Lucasfilm," I'm indeed referring to the specific people in charge.

Hope I've clarified things better for you.

P.S.: Rogue One was also a diamond in the rough.

Edited by Anti-Villain

• 4 months later...

Granted I've never watched the Star Wars Sequels, but from what I'm hearing... yeah, I'm gonna ignore their stories. Anything in those movies like technology, planets, starships, species, creatures, droids, and other things can join my headcanon universe. But yeah, plot-wise, I really don't like how the sequels sound.

Han Solo dying- Well, at least it's not Chewbacca this time, but still!

The New Republic getting destroyed- Oh, Come on! Who didn't wanna see a space battle between the New Republic and the Remnants of the Empire!

First Order- This group's name confuses me. Wouldn't the Galactic Empire be a 'first order', and since the First Order is a successor of the Empire, shouldn't it be called something like the 'Second Order'.

The Resistance- It's basically just Rebel Alliance 2.0.

the New Jedi Order being wiped out- Wow. The Sequel movies must love rendering the heroes' efforts in the Original Trilogy entirely pointless, don't they?

Snoke dying- If you're just going to kill oFf a potential main antagonist in the middle of a trilogy, then don't build him up to be a main antagonist.

Luke giving up on restoring the Jedi- Seriously? Luke Skywalker, the guy who redeemed Darth Vader, became a Jedi master, and tried to rebuild the Jedi order, just gives up and goes into hiding after the Knights of Ren destroyed the New Jedi Order? He's going to become a hermit and hide on a remote planet instead of restoring the Jedi Order? Luke. Skywalker. Is just. Going. To give up. And Hide?!

Starkiller Base- Just because it can destroy an entire solar system, doesn't mean it's not similar to the Death Star. It just means it can destroy an entire solar system. This will be the only peace of technology I will leave out of my headcanon universe.

Kylo Ren- Sounds a little too much like Kybo Ren (villain from a short-lived, obscure Star Wars cartoon. You wouldn't have heard of him. Unless you already looked him up on the Star Wars Wiki).

Sonic series ended at Shadow for me. The pure evil ending was canon, the world ended, series over~

Strike 1: Sonic 06, everything about it 

Strike 2: The Wii games

Oh, Sonic Chronicles looks coo- NOPE, CANCELLED, love you EA

Strike 3: Abandoning the Adventure series and all character development from it. It was fun while it lasted.

Next, Star Wars. It ended with Disney buying it.

Strike 1: Calling everything not a part of the main movie series non canon. You can't do that?? Poor KOTOR, and well, everything...

Strike 2: Cancelling every ongoing Star Wars game series in favor of Battlefront

Strike 3: Battlefront itself.

Lastly, WWE. Ended with what happened with Benoit and his family. No strikes needed... nothing was the same...

• Brohoof 2

Twilight getting wings:

Strike 1: The leak.
Strike 2: Miss America's presentation of the episode.
Strike 3: A full spoiler of what was to come during a commercial break during the actual episode premiere!

:bea:

FiM skipped S6, and ended with the first half of S7 up to Perfect Pear, all that came after was the movie, Best Gift Ever, and Rainbow Roadtrip, which I consider the series finale

Equestria Girls continued as usual though, but there was a weird year long gap between Rainbow Rocks and Legends of Everfree

Spoiler

After all the bullshit I read in the leaks, I'm not touching anything with Josh Haber's name on it ever again

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 4/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Megas said:

FiM skipped S6, and ended with the first half of S7 up to Perfect Pear, all that came after was the movie, Best Gift Ever, and Rainbow Roadtrip, which I consider the series finale

Equestria Girls continued as usual though, but there was a weird year long gap between Rainbow Rocks and Legends of Everfree

Reveal hidden contents

After reading the bullshit I did in the leaks, I'm not touching anything with Josh Haber's name on it ever again

For me -- FIM went all the way to S8, then ended after BGE and RRT.

As for EQG, the only thing that never happened was the Anon-A-Miss stuff.

Edited by Antagonist 🦹♂️
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

Twilight getting wings:

Strike 1: The leak.
Strike 2: Miss America's presentation of the episode.
Strike 3: A full spoiler of what was to come during a commercial break during the actual episode premiere!

:bea:

Wow that sounds annoying. Of all things to spoil!

I dislike having two purple guys in FNAF. I get that one was really purple and the other was wearing purple, but it just sounds dumb. I get they’re also both family but that confused fans for such a long time that I really feel like the decaying purple guy (Michael) should’ve been a different color. That, or he could have been preserved somehow and keep his normal form until he dies in the next game.

• Brohoof 1

Basically everything they remake and reboot these days.

My first experience with this was when Frank Herbert's son started making a lot of crappy books and calling them Dune. I really wanted a book about the Butlerian Jihad but eventually I just realized I could ignore this crap.

The Star Wars, Star Trek, and Ghostbusters remakes don't exist among other things.

• 4 weeks later...