AlicornSpell

Food Why do most humans eat meat?

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, TBD said:

We’re created as omnivores and we can’t help it when we hunger for flesh. 

We can crave any number of things that are not great for us. But that does not mean we need to indulge. Now mind you as I previously said I dont care if people eat meat and I eat meat myself. But its natural is a bad argument and we cant help what we crave is even worse. Alcoholics cant help that they crave the drink and its even got genetic components to the addiction so they could even be born with the risk. That does not mean they should indulge. 

So I think a better way to phrase the question is why despite the questionable ethics of factory farming and the risks of over indulging in meat products why do we continue to indulge in a habit that we often abuse? 

As of last week I don't anymore. I feel like arguing over what's naturally present in certain food sources is kind of moot since you can get every nutrient you need in a pure plant based diet. Sure meat has a lot of protein and iron and essential vitamins and minerals but you can still get them from other sources. 

Of course I'm cutting meat and dairy out of my diet for health reasons. Animal agriculture as it exists is unethical and bad for the environment but if you're concerned about ethics in what you buy and use you're going to have a hard time in life. Eat what you want but be honest about it. Vegan diets aren't unhealthy and eating meat and dairy doesn't make you a murderer.

Oh, and to clarify, I of course still think something should be done to curb the negative impact of animal agriculture, but I dont expect millions to change their diets overnight. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason I eat meat is simple. It's delicious.

• Brohoof 3
  • Yay 1

I don't like all kinds of meat. Like pork and lamb, for example, which I tend to avoid. Not for any specific religious or cultural reason, but rather because I don't like the taste of them. But I don't mind other meats like beef, poultry, seafood, etc. They are a source of some important nutrients. While most of those nutrients can be found in plants, people have different tastes and I think we can use the power of individual choice to get meat from sources we deem ethical and support their practices.

Humans need meat. We’re omnivores with incisors designed for that purpose. Meat has nutrients we need for balanced health and well-being. I do care about animals too, but most livestock that’s bred for meat wouldn’t be alive in the first place if not for the purpose of human consumption. I know that’s a bit of an excuse and I’m not going to deny it 100%, but I was not made to be a vegetarian and the animals I eat are not going to go running free if I change my diet. I like my meat and I’m not going to stop eating it. Sorry .