iSmartMan

My Little Pony: Harmony Eclipsed

(edited)

Twilight and her friends have disappeared, and chaos is spreading across Equestria! Follow Princess Luna as she searches for the Mane 6 and locates the source of the calamities. (Takes place during Season 3)

1.png.25e0a64a7b3dc38bcb0dfa8a3db32763.png

2.png.05500ad0d7b6295c8425b1abc26a73b7.png

3.png.17e1746047433e3b4d8c3696b43dfd64.png

This is a fan project I've been working on for the past several years with several artists, musicians, and playtesters. I've got the first 2/3rds of the game in a rough playable state, though it still needs a lot of polishing and bugfixing. I intend to continue working on it, but I've lost momentum on it for a couple of months now. Since the last season's hiatus is over, I wanted to post my most recent build publicly before the series ends. Hopefully, it will help give me the motivation I need to get back on track.

A few things to know

-The game should be playable in its current build, but there are some missing graphics and other kinds of placeholders. I've done my best to clearly mark when something is a placeholder, so if you see something missing that doesn't explicitly say it's a placeholder or it isn't specifically mentioned in the Known Bugs textfile or in a post on this thread, then assume it's something I need to know about.
-There's still a fair amount of balance and progression tweaking to be done, and all feedback in that regard is valuable
-The game will explicitly tell you when you get to the end of the build, so if you get stuck before that, that's something I need to address
-Be sure to stagger your save files (have multiple saves instead of saving in the same slot every time) in case you encounter a game-breaking bug.
-Before running the game, make sure to go to this page and run the file that downloads from it. It's a pack of the default resources that come with RPG Maker XP, and the game uses a lot of the tilesets from it.

Controls are Space to confirm/interact, X to cancel/open menu, and arrow keys to move. If you want to customize those controls or use a gamepad, launch the game and press F1 to open the controls/options menu.

Game download (updated 10/18/19, found a bug that needed fixing)

Edited by iSmartMan
  • Brohoof 4
  • Excited 1

I can totally vote for giving this a chance considering I was a beta (alpha) tester.

This is a game with a packed story for sure! I can surely state that I enjoyed it! :)

I'm almost done with the next build, just need to get it playtested and then I'll post it here. Unfortunately, most of my previous playtesters have been busy, so if anyone would like to step up and volunteer to test out what I've currently got, let me know.

A new build has just been uploaded, new link in OP! I know the series is about to end, but rest assured, I will keep working, so keep an eye out for more updates!

So I downloaded this and played it for a bit.

That said I think there's awful lot of blunt 'hit them with a bigger stick' combat so far substituting for game depth. And the "solution" to the corruption of the mane six is apparently to beat them really hard until them vomit it out/admit defeat? I know the show didn't do it much better with fixing being discorded by applying UberMagic:RememberWe'reFriends, but come on... Blunt trauma with a side of background pony narration (and occasional random gifting of items with gameplay value that make no sense for those ponies to be carrying around) is rather dull and uninteresting as RPGs go.

I'm not sure what exactly the formula would be for a better/more substantial story. Rainbow Dash claims to be defending Ponyville, but from what? And surely someone would have figured out she's hiding out near Fluttershy's house. And there's no more depth to Applejack's  'story' at all despite her apparently trying to find all the others (the mane six) and having failed and just giving up on them, the farm, her family, and Ponyville. Hopefully there is a bit more substance to the changelings. In my opinion there really needs to be a bit more story and RP/interaction in between the smashing ponies upside the head bits.

Corrupted Luna wanted to rule Equestria and have eternal night (of course that involved removing Celestia from the picture, even if might mean killing her) if we loosely try to tie together show canon and this plot, so shouldn't the other ponies be doing something equally screwy. I think 'The Return of Harmony' having the discorded ponies act opposite to their sort of intrinsic nature was a pretty powerful plot device even if it wasn't really leveraged much. For example imagine:

- Applejack as a greedy, manipulative pony working only for her own benefit [not being honest or working together w/friends and family]

- Fluttershy as a rather unkind pegasus, perhaps even cruel, possibly trying to protect animals by preventing ponies from having pets or say using anypony's mistakes as an excuse to mistreat them [not being kind at all]

Right now the game feels really grindy and as though you'd better build the levels so the next arbitrarily difficult enemy will be possible to defeat without a massive item collection or endless rinse and repeat (aka reload and try again).

Tangentially it seems quite silly to have Luna advisecaution so bystanders won't get hurt (in a seemingly empty place no less) and then the very next course of action is to scour the hotel and confront 'Applejewel'.  

P.S. 

I think the graphics could be more custom and pony-y, but that's a matter of polish that isn't super critical.

Well, there is literally like a single pony working on this game.

I agree on the boss fights especially would require some work to differ more from each other and not being plain tank boss battles.

For your critique you are voicing, are you having any suggestions on how to make it in an (in your eyes, at least) better way?

I understand that. And it's certainly true that I tend to be a bit critical and to more clearly see the problems than that what's working well.

In my previous comment, I tried to explain a little bit of what I perceive to be the game's shortcomings and what would make it better in my opinion.

As it is combat is somewhat dull and grindy (e.g. rinse and repeat). You just get more experience to get more levels to get more HP and Damage Potential to beat the next stronger big bad. And in my experience you spam skills until the MP is gone and then resort to regular weapons because the former are much stronger in general and you need to take as little damage as possible to avoid losing/game over. This might be mostly a balance issue of some sort and a limitation of RPG maker's combat in the sense that it's very win/lose unless you go to some length to work out alternative outcomes.

Also there really should be, imho, more game content of some sort between 'bosses' and a bit less constant combat (slimes and snakes all over the place, changelings, etc). Some actual investigative elements and meaningful interaction with the citizenry would help. There is very little discovery required besides "check all the trash cans" kind of monotony. Why is every place just seemingly abandoned, it's really not clear that this corrupting darkness should cause that kind of change in general. At least in Cloudsdale you're presented with a plausible pseudo-explanation for the empty streets, albeit it's difficult to grasp why this would be happening.

With combat, do you refer to mostly the bosses? I agree with they are way too tanky and would require more interesting attack and defend patterns.

I agree on there needs to be more reasons to explore, honestly. The dev just recently added some treasures since before 1-2 builds I think. Also, he is not done with the storyline and the game isn't at it's (story) ending yet, so he simply  is busy on that regard as well.

TBH, I enjoyed the storyline overall, or the telling of it. I actually surely had a great time playing the game. ❤️

Thank you for the feedback. I'm already working on a few ideas to enhance the boss battles, but it is my first attempt at making and balancing a game and I have tended to be conservative and not go too far outside what I know works. Specific suggestions would be very welcome, though they should come with the understanding that I am free to pick and choose suggestions as I wish and not every suggestion will make it into the game. The emptiness and lack of wandering ponies is mostly due to me being terrible at writing flavor and fluff dialog. Based on what you and my testers have been telling me in this most recent build, the next iteration will probably add more wandering NPCs to areas, but they will only have placeholder dialog until either I or one of my other occasional helpers gets around to writing for them. Also, my intended approach for showcasing the corrupting influence of dark magic was for the Mane 6 to each become the dark side of their elements rather than the opposite. Rainbow Dash is Blind Loyalty, Applejack is Half-Truths and White Lies, etc.

Oh, and don't worry about the changelings. They make a return at the end of the current build, which is only the beginning of the game's third act. It will probably be another 3 builds before the game has the full story I have planned out.

I wonder if @Rikifivecan give advice in general and in specific considering he is very experienced in game design and RPG maker. He is also a mod or admin of an RPGmaker community.

I'd really appreciate that. Experience is one thing I sorely lack, and I'd love more suggestions from someone who has made all these mistakes before and can help me avoid them.

Found a major bug that needed fixing, updated the download link again