Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler S09:E16 - A Trivial Pursuit

Derplight Sperkle
Message added by Jeric

There will be spoilers within, please be forewarned.

How was the episode?  

78 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• Hate it
    • Dislike it
    • It was okay
    • Like it
    • Love it

Title: A Trivial Pursuit

Air Date: August 17, 2019

Written By: Brittany Jo Flores

Synopsis: Twilight's hopes of keeping her Trivia Trot winning streak alive are waylaid when she is paired up with Pinkie Pie, who has never been to a trivia night before.

SinfulBiodegradableAustraliankestrel-siz

• Brohoof 7

• The topic was featured
  • The topic was pinned

Wait, we were having another Trivia Event on MLP Forums. Wha? 

Just kidding. I know at this point, some of us are still waiting on the results of the Friendship Day Trivia and that this topic is for the upcoming episode.

I wonder how much of this upcoming episode will remind people of the Trivia Events we do on these Forums?

I am very interested in hearing how people react to this episode after the episode we just had. FWIW, I though the humor in this episode made it worthwhile, but yikes:

Spoiler

There are some scenes that are difficult to endure for anyone who appreciates Twilight.

• Brohoof 7

Pinkie Pie Ruins Everything: Electric Boogaloo

And the brainwashing of the day is: the definition of "having fun" always acknowledges the lowest common denominator even if nobody else is having fun. Only a Friendship Commissar can claim that sacrificing your enjoyment for the sake of others is necessary for you to have the "right" kind of fun.

5 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

HOWEVER! There is a single good thing that came out of it all:

ShipIt.jpg.b165cf226b532154a728fa3b9cad6ed9.jpg

IshipIt.gif.62a056f1b0119727a12729a4345bf10a.gif

Problem Starfoals? 3Y6uKBJ.png

Ever since they went antiquing together it makes more sense. 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, Goat-kun said:

HOWEVER! There is a single good thing that came out of it all:

ShipIt.jpg.b165cf226b532154a728fa3b9cad6ed9.jpg

IshipIt.gif.62a056f1b0119727a12729a4345bf10a.gif

Problem Starfoals? 3Y6uKBJ.png

That single frame of animation got stuck in my mind as well.

Well, this episode will help me a ton! The project I am working on will be improved by almost 100% because of its very specific plot. I'll give my review of the episode officially airs.

• Brohoof 1

A question: Does Twilight even NEED to keep her winning streak alive if she is gonna be Ruler of All Equestria? It would give the Princess something to gloat about. Like when White Bomber had TWO BOMB STARS out of the Seven to become a Real Bomberman. I speak of Bomberman Jetters, an anime I watched on Youtube.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

3 minutes ago, YoshiAngemon said:

A question: Does Twilight even NEED to keep her winning streak alive if she is gonna be Ruler of All Equestria?

Need? no.

Want? well, it IS Twilight, after all...

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Need? no.

Want? well, it IS Twilight, after all...

Well, Twilight was worried about keeping her Perfection Rate up, when she was to return a late library book. Maybe she's not supposed to be a Perfect Princess, I mean, a Perfect Princess would set a bad example for Equestria. I mean, if Twilight has such a Perfection Problem, then she might end up turning into Midnight Sparkle out of imperfection!

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 2

Personally, I like how this episode goes for more comedy and treating a simple game like serious business. The reactions and lengths the contestants go through can be quite funny

The fact the episode ends without us knowing who won I felt was important because it's not about who wins or loses, it's if you're having fun doing it. So, @YoshiAngemon, to answer your earlier question: No, Twilight doesn't need to keep her winning streak. It's actually refreshing to see a trivia episode where we DON'T see the winner.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 6

On a side note, Let's be grateful that when the Trivia Events are held here on MLP FORUMS, we are allowed to use outside references. The trivia events here is how easy or hard as the participants make it on themselves choosing whether or not to rewatch or look up the question source.

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

This was a weird episode, IMO. 

This episode proves to me that Twilight Sparkle doesn't respect/like Pinkie Pie as much as a "true, true friend" should. 

Nobody's perfect. Even the closest of friends can be unintentionally cruel to each other, like in the S2 finale.

• Brohoof 8

2 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Nobody's perfect. Even the closest of friends can be unintentionally cruel to each other, like in the S2 finale.

Well, as evidenced by her now-tarnished Library Return Record, Twilight is already imperfect.

• Brohoof 4

13 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

This episode proves to me that Twilight Sparkle doesn't respect/like Pinkie Pie as much as a "true, true friend" should. 

When Pinkie has proven time and again that she doesn't respect anyone's seriousness and everything is a fun game for her, it's kind of obvious how would Twilight react to her on something that she believes to be serious.

• Brohoof 5

Wow! This was a really good episode.  Like I didn't expect much from this from the synopsis, but boy was I surprised.  I found A Trivial Problem to be a really cute, silly, and charming episode with a good amount to like about it.  I really enjoyed the competitive atmosphere in the episode, that of which allowed us to see some more of Applejack and Rainbow's rivalry in a fun way, Granny Smith was great here, so was Spike, I also always get a kick out of Twilight freaking out, there were some great facial expressions, and over all I found this episode to be a lot of fun.

• Brohoof 4