Derplight Sperkle

Spoiler S09:E16 - A Trivial Pursuit

Jeric

There will be spoilers within, please be forewarned.

Message added by Jeric

How was the episode?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• Hate it
    • Dislike it
    • It was okay
    • Like it
    • Love it

On 8/19/2019 at 5:45 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

Things weren't actually any better with Sunburst though. Then it was just him keeping her out of the game, trying to do it all on his own. Nothing was ever going 'well' for Twilight that whole time.

How about forgetting Pinkie for a moment, bickering over whether or not she was pushing her fun over Twi's, or trying to control Twilight's definition of fun, and instead trusting Spike's judgement? For all intents and purposes, he's the Princess's closest advisor. Spike knows Twilight's breakdowns better than anyone, the episode opens with him knowing that one is coming, and he's trying to prevent it before it starts. That's not a question of his fun vs. hers. If Twilight was truly enjoying it, Spike wouldn't be intervening. How often do you suppose professional competitors have to breathe into paper bags just to keep from passing out due to hyperventilation? That's beyond tryharding. If we're going to still argue that Twilight was enjoying it, then we might as well start debating BDSM.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, Goat-kun said:

We might as well. Some of you might benefit. I did say she was tilting, did I not? Twilight is prone to such behavior and Spike is fully aware of that. However, if Twilight was not enjoying an activity she herself wanted to join, then Spike would comment on that and try to talk her out of it.

Let's get back to tryhards. Once they get the mid-or-feed out of their system they can enjoy the game together way more than a tryhard and some noob spamming emotes. Harmony ain't gonna send you to heaven so don't be afraid to make things fun for yourself :P

I re watched the episode on TV today before the new episode to see if I missed anything in my previous analysis. From the very first scene Spike can tell Twilight is already at an usual level of “Twilighting” and her behavior is WAY different from the other 2 times she played “Trivia Trot” and multiple times he tries to bring her back down to earth and talk her out of it, by reminding her she is Princess of Friendship and to focus more on how she herself is playing. Sunburst even tells Twilight she’s “out of the zone” compared to previous games. On a rewatch I did notice Twilight said “This game is special, I’m hoping to win” to Pinkie Pie so she did try to get across to Pinkie that it was important to her but I think Twilight should have said “I need to win” more directly to Pinkie since it seems like Twilight just smiled and told Pinkie not to worry every time she(Pinkie) started to notice Twi having trouble, and we know Pinkie does not read subtle body language well. Twilight also rarely let Pinkie Pie even answer so Twilight kinda sabotaged herself in the end either way. Just my 2 cents again.   

Badges

1 hour ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

“This game is special, I’m hoping to win” to Pinkie Pie so she did try to get across to Pinkie that it was important to her but I think Twilight should have said “I need to win”

Hmm... that line actually says a lot. It's possible that she WAS playing just for fun this whole time and she only got all unhinged when she realized she had a chance to break a record. Maybe Pinkie wasn't so much in the wrong here after all.

2 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I re watched the episode on TV today before the new episode to see if I missed anything in my previous analysis. From the very first scene Spike can tell Twilight is already at an usual level of “Twilighting” and her behavior is WAY different from the other 2 times she played “Trivia Trot” and multiple times he tries to bring her back down to earth and talk her out of it, by reminding her she is Princess of Friendship and to focus more on how she herself is playing. Sunburst even tells Twilight she’s “out of the zone” compared to previous games. On a rewatch I did notice Twilight said “This game is special, I’m hoping to win” to Pinkie Pie so she did try to get across to Pinkie that it was important to her but I think Twilight should have said “I need to win” more directly to Pinkie since it seems like Twilight just smiled and told Pinkie not to worry every time she(Pinkie) started to notice Twi having trouble, and we know Pinkie does not read subtle body language well. Twilight also rarely let Pinkie Pie even answer so Twilight kinda sabotaged herself in the end either way. Just my 2 cents again.   

So Twilight was tilting, she wanted to win, and she and Pinkie are not good friends. Tell me something I don't know :P

5 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Hmm... that line actually says a lot. It's possible that she WAS playing just for fun this whole time and she only got all unhinged when she realized she had a chance to break a record. Maybe Pinkie wasn't so much in the wrong here after all.

My thoughts exactly. I hadn't noticed that line when I watched it last week and I really wish I had. Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

So Twilight was tilting, she wanted to win, and she and Pinkie are not good friends. Tell me something I don't know :P

Or they are both great friends and DO care about each other but the writers did NOT make that clear in "Trivial". :) Pinkie and Twilight acted completely different and more like themselves in the new episode that aired today IMHO. 

Badges

11 minutes ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

My thoughts exactly. I hadn't noticed that line when I watched it last week and I really wish I had. Thanks! 

Or they are both great friends and DO care about each other but the writers did NOT make that clear in "Trivial". :) Pinkie and Twilight acted completely different and more like themselves in the new episode that aired today IMHO. 

If one that tries to prove that cites an episode to disprove the previous one, then how can one decide which episode is canon? The white knights are wrong as per usual. There is no progression. There is only a sinus function. We have witnessed all of this before. Will you join me in forsaking canon? Well, judging from the speculations above, you've all already done that. Just make sure you don't become delusional like some Luna fans.

Still, Mane 6 are not friends. They are friendly coworkers. To be a friend does not mean the same as being a good human. A bond needs to be personal, beneficial, and it needs to exist exclusively between two individuals. What can you offer me that resemble such a bond?

1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

If one that tries to prove that cites an episode to disprove the previous one, then how can one decide which episode is canon? The white knights are wrong as per usual. There is no progression. There is only a sinus function. We have witnessed all of this before. Will you join me in forsaking canon? Well, judging from the speculations above, you've all already done that. Just make sure you don't become delusional like some Luna fans.

Still, Mane 6 are not friends. They are friendly coworkers. To be a friend does not mean the same as being a good human. A bond needs to be personal, beneficial, and it needs to exist exclusively between two individuals. What can you offer me that resemble such a bond?

I consider all official Hasbro released episodes, all of EG and the MLP 2017 movie canon regardless of how much I hate a particular episode. "Trivial" is canon! I'm not one of those weirdos who calls unlikable episodes non canon. I can't stand when fandoms write off parts of a show as non canon because they don't like an episode or spin off. I'm allowed to criticize writing however. :) 

Badges

With Twilight Sparkle being obsessed over winning in this episode, I really do feel her pain that she may have lost. As you see, I admit that I am also obsessed with winning at games and when I lose, I feel really disappointed.

On the other hand, I think I may need to start thinking about how much I had fun playing a game rather than obsessing over whether or not I won or lost.