Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any train tracks/routes near you?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Continuing the thread theme of slowly determining where everyone in the world is via process of elimination, I have been wanting to make this thread for a while. 

Do any of you have any train tracks or specific train routes near where you are? If the route is specific and has a name, share that with us too if you want. :D I myself live in a county with a lot of freight railroad systems. My town has both a track in the south of it and the north of it, so either direction is trainy business. Seems Indiana is big fan of the freight train stuff, I wish it had more variety overall.

• Brohoof 1

My house is just about a 5 minute drive from a portion of the Florida East Coast Railway. It runs the entire eastern coast of Florida from Jacksonville to Key West. I live in between. 

• Brohoof 1

There are train tracks in the downtown area of my town as well as the downtown of the local city. I really don't know much about them, though. If I ever see trains on them, they are definitely freight trains. I don't know if we even have any areas for passenger trains. I know there used to be a train station, but it got turned into a Jazz museum.

• Brohoof 1

Manhattan, IL was incorporated in 1886. It is an old and established community. Due to railroad construction in the mid-19th century, many immigrants, especially Irish, moved to the area. Given that information, you can assume that my town and surrounding areas are home to many railroads. You’d be correct. They aren’t incredibly active but there nonetheless.

• Brohoof 2

There are trains everywhere where I live. I'm pretty sure the city next to mine started as a coal mining town, so that would explain it. We've also got an Amtrak station about 10 minutes from my house, so I know there's passenger trains, too.

• Brohoof 1

I wish I lived close, but I don't. Then I would be able to hear that train horn in a distance, at night!
What is more calming than raindrops against your window and a train horn in the distance, at 5 AM? :proud:

• Brohoof 2

There's a track just east of downtown in my college town. You can hear the freight trains a few times every day and night, even from the university.

The nearest major city has some of those, plus a stop on a cross-country Amtrak route. There is also an electric light rail train that reaches a good portion of the metropolitan area, as well as downtown and the airport.

• Brohoof 1

My old home town of Palmer, AK was a rail town. Train station was turned into a museum. 

Got train tracks running a few blocks from me, straight through town. Go through them every day for work. Don't know any specific names but the route belongs to Canadian National. 

• Brohoof 1

While the tracks I live near don't have any specific names, I do live in southern West Virginia in coal country. Specifically I live near both Whitesville and Sylvester; both of which are coal-mining towns and, as such, have rail-road tracks right next to them or go right through them. CSX runs the trains for the coal mines and one track runs across the road before entering the main part of Whitesville.

In fact; here's a vid of the end of the train after I left work on day a few weeks ago!

• Brohoof 1

I take the train nearly daily. The railway station is like 10min from my house and I don't have a car. There are tracks everywhere in my country but I don't think the names would tell you something. Many don't have names at all as far as I know. 

• Brohoof 1

There is a train route roughly around ten minutes from where I live. I haven't used it yet, but the option is there, I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

DC is on the southern end of the Amtrak Northeast Corridor, which goes from here all the way up to Boston. I rode the train to New York a couple weeks ago.

We also have both underground and aboveground tracks for the local metro system. And there are plenty of commuter trains that go out to MD and VA, though I’m not very familiar with their routes.

• Brohoof 1

I live near Asakusa Station here in Tokyo which has almost direct access to the majority of the inner city. I tend to go to Kuramae Station down the street from Asakusa however.

• Brohoof 1

Well yes, I do live near a train station. it's a 15 minute walk away from my home.

The lines though? There are plenty! We've got the Paris Nord to Villiers-le-Bel line, which diverges into multiple lines which are, but not limited to: 

-Ligne Nouvelle 1 (A high speed line used by Eurostar trains to London, Thalys trains to Brussels/Amsterdam/Koln and TGV trains going to Valenciennes, or Lille)

-Villiers-le-Bel to Creil line, with suburban trains going towards Orry-la-Ville and Creil, as well as Intercity and regional trains linking Paris to northern France cities like Amiens, Compiègne etc...)

After that, we've got the Paris to Pontoise line, the Paris to Luzarches line and the Paris to Persan-Beaumont line, all used by suburban trains. Regional trains usually pass through the Paris to Persan-Beaumont line to head north, towards Beauvais as well.

• Brohoof 2

There’s a track about a mile from here that runs East West. Train can be heard, at night. I’ve followed the track on Google Maps and it doesn’t go all the way to Houston, actually :mlp_wat: (unless I lose track of it).

• Brohoof 1

Both San Jose (where I permanently live) and Santa Barbara (where I go to college) are served by Amtrak's Coast Starlight, which comes once a day in both directions. San Jose is additionally served by three commuter rail lines though: CalTrain (San Francisco-Gilroy), Amtrak's Capitol Corridor (San Jose-Sacramento), and the less frequent ACE (San Jose-Stockton). Santa Barbara is also served by Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo-San Diego). The track in Santa Barbara is owned by Union Pacific, so occasionally you'll see a UP freight train pass by. 

If light rail counts, San Jose also has a light rail system called the VTA.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, Prospekt said:

There's a track just east of downtown in my college town. You can hear the freight trains a few times every day and night, even from the university.

The nearest major city has some of those, plus a stop on a cross-country Amtrak route. There is also an electric light rail train that reaches a good portion of the metropolitan area, as well as downtown and the airport.

Sounds like Denver. The California Zephyr passes through there. Recently, the city invested a ton on revitalizing LoDo and Denver Union Station and rapidly expanding the RTD. 

On 8/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, Envy said:

There are train tracks in the downtown area of my town as well as the downtown of the local city. I really don't know much about them, though. If I ever see trains on them, they are definitely freight trains. I don't know if we even have any areas for passenger trains. I know there used to be a train station, but it got turned into a Jazz museum.

And that sounds like Tulsa. Tulsa used to have a train station, but due to the decline of passenger rail transport and the construction of the I-44 the Tulsa-Kansas City passenger line was dead in the 60s. The city was lucky enough to preserve its station; some other cities weren't so lucky and their train stations were either left in disrepair or torn down entirely. Most passenger railroad companies were killed to make way for the highways. Tulsa went highway-crazy like many other American cities and now their downtown is trapped in a mile-sized highway loop and filled with empty parking lots.