Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Any DC Super Hero Girls viewers?

Sepul-Coloratura

Who's your favorite character?  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite character?

• Flutt... Bumblbee
    • Rain... Supergirl
    • Trix... Zatana
    • Lun.. Wonderwoman
    • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)
    • Pink... Batgirl
    • Ace
    • Krypto
    • Ace with a mask
    • Krypto with a cape
    • I have someone else in mind.

I thought it was averagely ok until the dogs episode and Harley Quinn / Batgirl episode. It was so good, I thought I could be very optimistic about the show's future if they could pull that out. But I'm still a bit skeptical about how the show is going to explore and resolve the dilemma that the character's arch enemies are actually their best friends in real life. It's inevitable for them to face the truth, and if they do a good job doing it in a right timing, I'm going to be very surprised.

Anyway, what do you think of the show?

• Brohoof 1

I like it. I've only seen up to Misgiving Tree and from what I've seen it's a fun show, but not particularly great. This could change since Misgiving Tree was much better than everything before, but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 1

DC Superhero Girls reboot is slowly getting better & better.

My favorite characters are:

Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn & Barbra Gordon/Batgirl. Jessica Cruz/Green Lantern is awesome, too. 

My favorite episodes are: #SweetJustice, #MeettheCheetah, #Beeline, #SheMightBeGiant, #CrushingIt & #GothamCon.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I am a fan of the new DC Superhero Girls cartoon.  I was interested in it since it was first announced and I have yet to be disappointed.  My favorite characters are Bumblebee and Zatanna and my favorite episode is #Beeline.

• Brohoof 2

It's a genuinely good show thus far, largely due to that weirdly enjoyable Faustian charm (which somehow feels surprisingly greater than the sum of its parts - this also applies to FiM in its formative (and best) years) which I suspect derives from the fun, energetic tone and unorthodox juxtaposition of lighthearted comedy (although it must be said that some of the satirization of teen behavior feels kind of cheap, particularly in the opening episodes) and a non-standard approach to character introspection, almost exuding the air of a spiritual successor to the original PPG (and not the current flavorless slop on CN) resultantly (particularly as the show also bends the inherently flat appearance of its artstyle and Flash assets to create a unique and advantageous look, which echoes the original PPG's use of its TV budget to evoke a contour-based UPA aesthetic). That being said, the similarities to FiM can become a little more than obvious at times and the gags are (generally) weaker than early FiM's offerings (Adventures in Bunnysitting exhibits both issues by essentially playing out as the same episode as Swarm of the Century with far fewer of Larson's trademark sly meta jokes and references), but it definitely has potential, which should be expected given that Faust's potential greater creative freedom indicates an eventual glimpse into the type of show FiM could have evolved into under her continued leadership, which should be... interesting, to say the least (particularly in light of how creatively confused the current incarnation of the show seems). 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/21/2019 at 4:44 AM, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

It's a genuinely good show thus far, largely due to that weirdly enjoyable Faustian charm (which somehow feels surprisingly greater than the sum of its parts - this also applies to FiM in its formative (and best) years) which I suspect derives from the fun, energetic tone and unorthodox juxtaposition of lighthearted comedy (although it must be said that some of the satirization of teen behavior feels kind of cheap, particularly in the opening episodes) and a non-standard approach to character introspection, almost exuding the air of a spiritual successor to the original PPG (and not the current flavorless slop on CN) resultantly (particularly as the show also bends the inherently flat appearance of its artstyle and Flash assets to create a unique and advantageous look, which echoes the original PPG's use of its TV budget to evoke a contour-based UPA aesthetic). That being said, the similarities to FiM can become a little more than obvious at times and the gags are (generally) weaker than early FiM's offerings (Adventures in Bunnysitting exhibits both issues by essentially playing out as the same episode as Swarm of the Century with far fewer of Larson's trademark sly meta jokes and references), but it definitely has potential, which should be expected given that Faust's potential greater creative freedom indicates an eventual glimpse into the type of show FiM could have evolved into under her continued leadership, which should be... interesting, to say the least (particularly in light of how creatively confused the current incarnation of the show seems). 

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Obnoxious contrarianism aside, the show is decent, but suffers from the episodes being only 11 minutes long. Which makes it feel at times rushed and scattershot. 

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 1

Biggest issue plaguing the show is the way it either nerfs or flanderizes the male heroes. Almost everyone one of them is either completely useless or an egotistical jerk.

- Hal Jordan is a dude bro jock to cowardly to breakup with his clingy girlfriend or use his power ring 

- The Flash is somehow subdued by bank robbers. 

- Aqualad is a total dweeb. 

- Superman is a vain showboat.

- Robin is an annoying, ugly, and downright sexist dork who's somehow even more unbearable than his TTG counterpart. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not saying we need to have an episode of the girls needing to be saved by a strapping young male, but having almost every guy in the show be like this is a problem for two big reasons:

1. It enforces the idea of the "Men vs. Women" argument that one sex must come on top over the other.

2. It sends the message that females can only show their competence if they're male peers are inept and incompetent.

@TheAnimationFanatic To be honest, it's quite interesting to see the kind of viewpoint that DC Superhero Girls has. It might be a pathological way of thinking, but the grounded collective mindset of the show is interesting, almost feels like it's own genre and a parody. (search Blitzmensch in youtube. Not saying that they are like Nazis tho. It might be an extreme example, but what I meant is that it requires a more laid back mentality and a more voluntary immersion to enjoy or even laugh at it. It's also not as prominent in the show.) I'm more concerned that the male characters would be nothing but an effigy and have no interesting characters or liveliness and ruin the fun. The quality of the show will tell us eventually. If they constantly avoid portraying male characters as legit human beings, the show will collapse. So far, not finding anything that much interesting with the male characters.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

3 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

@TheAnimationFanatic To be honest, it's quite interesting to see the kind of viewpoint that DC Superhero Girls has. It might be a pathological way of thinking, but the grounded collective mindset of the show is interesting, almost feels like it's own genre and a parody. (search Blitzmensch in youtube. Not saying that they are like Nazis tho. What I meant is that it requires a more laid back mentality and a more voluntary immersion to enjoy or even laugh at it. It's also not as prominent in the show.) I'm more concerned that the male characters would be nothing but an effigy and have no interesting characters or liveliness and ruin the fun. The quality of the show will tell us eventually. If they constantly avoid portraying male characters as legit human beings, the show will collapse. So far, not finding anything that much interesting with the male characters.

I don't need the males to be the focus, but their handling has been annoying one note and problematic at best.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Yeah... It would seem that Faust's kryptonite is writing male characters. Or rather, she struggles with showing their positive traits over their flaws. 

Lauren is after all a feminist, the kind who are the delusional one. I can’t believe she would say something like that, I mean there are guys whose would called themselves Dick for short  and you seriously don’t say something inappropriate like that to them.  That’s insulting.:unamused:

19 minutes ago, TBD said:

Lauren is after all a feminist, the kind who are the delusional one. I can’t believe she would say something like that, I mean there are guys whose would called themselves Dick for short  and you seriously don’t say something inappropriate like that to them.  That’s insulting.:unamused:

I would never take it that far, nor do I think that there's any malice behind it. Hell, the latest episode did a much better job of portraying both its male and female characters well. No need to take it as an insult. My frustration is more just an extension of how Dick Grayson has been handled.

19 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

I would never take it that far, nor do I think that there's any malice behind it. Hell, the latest episode did a much better job of portraying both its male and female characters well. No need to take it as an insult. My frustration is more just an extension of how Dick Grayson has been handled.

The way she said thought it’s still inappropriate.

Probably a blend male character I assumed. With a anxious jokey voice. 

Edited by TBD

On 9/24/2019 at 8:08 PM, Bas said:

The new one, uh?
Wanted to give it a try. But prob nobody wants to etiher watch or motivate me to do so. :blush:

Alright here goes.

I would give this show about 7/10. It’s just like mlp but with DC characters. Since the characters does have some resemblance to the mane 6 plus the animation is good too.  The story is not too bad either. The only problem for me is that it’s only 11 mins long. But it’s pretty good I would give it a try.  

12 hours ago, Bas said:

How would you rate MLP, or TTGO! or TPPG Reboot or DT reboot? Just to get a comparison.

It doesn't have the heart or the focus of MLP:FiM, and it's not as sharp as the DuckTales reboot. That being said, it's WAY better than the Powerpuff Girls reboot and isn't as obnoxious as Teen Titans Go! can be (except for their take Robin, who is even more insufferable).

There are a lot of aspects about the DC Superhero Girls that are lacking and unpolished, but there is potential for the show to get better.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Kara now the dumb muscle/hothead of the group? It just seems so out of character for her given that she's usually passionate about science and adept with technology? 

For that matter, shouldn't Jeesica and Karen swap personalities since Jessica struggles with her anxiety and Karen was a cheerleader?

7 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

For that matter, shouldn't Jeesica and Karen swap personalities since Jessica struggles with her anxiety and Karen was a cheerleader?

I guess because bees are small creatures & Karen is meek most of the time. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234