Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E17 - The Summer Sun Setback

Jeric
Message added by Jeric

There will be spoilers here. If you see one at this point it’s on you!

56A6E69F-3600-4A70-BB92-12F6049B2631.jpeg

The Summer Sun Setback  

68 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Hated it!
    • Not a fan
    • It was okay
    • Like it
    • Loved it <3

Seems Tirek has a better handle on his draining powers. Drained them just enough that they feel weak, but not enough that their cutie marks vanish.

Chrysalis, your Trixie is showing... 

• Brohoof 4

23 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

Either grogar is clueless to what his subordinates are doing or he is a really good actor. 

That's exactly what's been going on in my mind since the Terrible Trio got ahold of Grogar's Bell and hid it behind his back. We shall see in the final Episodes.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

I guess thats how they show that discord in kinda of neutral. He doesn't want to solve the problem himself no matter what.  

Nah, he was still willing to step up and help in the Season 6 finale. I figure his schtick is that he only steps in to help when absolutely necessary.

• Brohoof 2

Am I the only one who feels Twilight's character change was rushed?

At least this episode got rid of one of my worries. I saw the purple mare on the moon in the finale trailer, and I got worried Twilight was gonna end up on the moon at the end. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Booker said:

Am I the only one who feels Twilight's character change was rushed?

At least this episode got rid of one of my worries. I saw the purple mare on the moon in the finale trailer, and I got worried Twilight was gonna end up on the moon at the end. 

Yes. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, BastementSparkle said:

Nah, he was still willing to step up and help in the Season 6 finale. I figure his schtick is that he only steps in to help when absolutely necessary.

forgot about that one, but he couldn't solve that problem anyway.

Twilight finally doesn't freak out for the first time in a long while. I wonder if she won't freak out when the Villainous League makes their presence known.

By the way, using deductive reasoning from the credits, that panicking lead weather Pegasus that has appealed to me I suspect is named Feather Flatterfly. Who did all the Twilighting for her instead. He gets a lot of comfort hugs from me.

Before I get to work, let me address the elephant in the room: The few Ponies who saw Cozy Glow. In their defense, you should think about how Tirek seems to be holding back from sucking ALL the life force from the ponies. The victims cutie marks didn't disappear so it's likely because Tirek is only taking enough to make a pony feel weak and disoriented.

The end flat out points out that Tirek had to give back the energies he's stolen to cover their tracks. And I believe that one guard was about to put the pieces together that a dangerous filly like Cozy was out of prison but since he had his energy sucked out before he could fully do something, Woosh! Out went his life force and his train of thought. I personally think Chrysalis might have in disguise convinced the affected energy-deprived ponies that they were a bit tired from working a bit too hard and that they were seeing things. It's not a strong explanation, but it's still an explanation nonetheless. And just because the Terrible Trio managed to get past all the security measures, it doesn't mean our heroes are stupid or anything. Just that the villains were thinking much more strategically. Like a good game of chess.

But the most important thing I found about this episode is that both our heroes and villians succeeded. The Ponies got to put on the best Final Summer Sun Celebration despite the setbacks. Twilight surprisingly kept calm throughout the whole chaos and I agree with Discord. It really does seem like they might be ready for whatever comes next

And as Chrysalis said, it was never about ruining the celebration. It was about the Terrible Trio learning to work together. Their team up got them Grogar's bell behind his back and now a book that might tell them how to use it. 

All in all, this has been one of the best episodes where everyone benefits.

• Brohoof 10

Just now, Rushing cash said:

forgot about that one, but he couldn't solve that problem anyway.

Well, he was planning to, just that Chrysalis's throne kinda threw a wrench in that. Still, the second he heard Flutters was captured he looked about ready to summon up a giant fly swatter on Chrysalis. So, I still stand behind what I said, he helps when it's necessary, otherwise he sits back on the sidelines so they don't become dependent on him and can grow...and also probably to enjoy the show, of course.

• Brohoof 1

So, for the episode, I am really glad we got to see the villains again before the finale, so we got development on that front. I am glad that their plan actually succeded and they have the book for the belle. Grogar did nothing this episode, however he did mention that he found a magical artifact and that he will soon retrive it, he will do it himself he won't send the trio so he either don't trust them to succed anymore or the trio already did what grogar wanted them to do(work as a team) and so he just want to start his plan of conquest or he knows what they are doing and every thing that happened so far is actually what he wanted and that is part of his plan. I hope its the last option, but I got a feeling he is oblivious to what they are planning. 

So, the writers wrote twilight feaking out a lot lately(and that massive freak out last episode) to just show that she got over a massive character flaw that will hurt her seriously when she becomes the queen, although that flaw was never that important before this season? On one hand I am glad that she won't lose it on things so trivial on the other hand I am disappoinred in the writers that they chose to go that way from the beginning. 

The episode was very good and the new plan of the villains is interesting and I can't wait to see what happens next. But, how the hell did no one found that they were there, I mean cozy spoke to the weather manager, a gurd(that was draind of his magic) so them. I guess we can say that the manager felt no one will take him seriously if he blaimed a little filly and the guard was brainwashed or killed or got amnesia or something like that.

Great episode, much better then the last 3.     9\10.

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 3

Solid episode. The events that unfolded flowed naturally well, without ever feeling forced. Good acting from the villains. Their plans were well executed without making them look overpowered. They also achieved a milestone they have long planned for, giving us more to look forward to. All of the characters never acted out-of-character, and the festival was delivered exceptionally well. 9/10.

• Brohoof 5

10 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Mike Vogel continues to be the MVP of this season (and most of the series IMO).

Agree, one of the best writers in the shows history(along with larson, the lady writers)

• Brohoof 2

That was a great episode. Not only was it very enjoyable to watch, but it also carried a kind of "sadness" with it; sadness in the sense that this episode felt that we're getting closer to the end, that things are being set in place for the finale. Twilight getting ready for her role as ruler of Equestria; Chrysalis, Cozy Glow and Tirek in a race against the clock to execute their own plans and master Grogar's bell, and then there's Grogar's presence hanging menacingly above Equestria; readying himself to finally step out of the shadows. There really is a strong tension here with everyone involved. We have three different sides here and their paths are about to cross.

I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that irked me somewhat about this episode was that it still felt Discord is kind of an outsider of the group. He's still suspected when something goes wrong, and when trying to help his only task is not to create trouble. I do like how he plays the role as a mentor figure though.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 3

It felt like they were cleaning up the mess that they made before. That's why I don't completely like this episode even it's one of the better episodes in this season. They shouldn't have been made a mess in previous episodes in the first place. I don't know how they are able to make this kind of episodes when they were not able to see those exact problems in previous episodes and completely openly state and fix it this time. A sense of character development and progress just by regression and coming back.

I'm glad that Twilight is competent and reasonable this time, but what about the other times? Are those episodes deliberately being bad just to be a stepping stones for this episode being a more satisfying one? Now Twilight is finally back to being functional, the only thing needed is to give her a character. It felt weird and contrived. It felt like they were pushing it too much, like when they made Fluttershy bold just to reward the unhappy audience sick of her previous behaviors. This episode wasn't satisfying as much as intended because the flaws could have been dealt better in the first place.

The rest of Mane Six just made a problem just because the plot required it. Someone had to mess something up didn't they. But even it was obvious, it was less annoying and it was a kind of problem that could have occurred during the early seasons. Applejack being a voice of reason was a rare occasion that needed to happen more often. It was good to see it, but it could have been done with more nuances.

I liked that this is an episode in the villain's point of view, and it is a way better version of The Mean 6. The villains being a central role in the series and being treated as a character, not just being a disposable prop feels fresh. I really wish they don't blow it the finale with all these characters.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 4

7 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

It felt like they were cleaning up the mess that they made before. That's why I don't completely like this episode even it's one of the better episodes in this season. They shouldn't have been made a mess in previous episodes in the first place. I don't know how they are able to make this kind of episodes when they were not able to see those exact problems in previous episodes and completely openly state and fix it this time. A sense of character development and progress just by regression and coming back.

I'm glad that Twilight is competent and reasonable this time, but what about the other times? Are those episodes deliberately being bad just to be a stepping stones for this episode being a more satisfying one? Now Twilight is finally back to being functional, the only thing needed is to give her a character. It felt weird and contrived. It felt like they were pushing it too much, like when they made Fluttershy bold just to reward the unhappy audience sick of her previous behaviors. This episode wasn't satisfying as much as intended because the flaws could have been dealt better in the first place.

The rest of Mane Six just made a problem just because the plot required it. Someone had to mess something up didn't they. But even it was obvious, it was less annoying and it was a kind of problem that could have occurred during the early seasons. Applejack being a voice of reason was a rare occasion that needed to happen more often. It was good to see it, but it could have been done with more nuances.

I liked that this is an episode in the villain's point of view, and it is a way better version of The Mean 6. The villains being a central role in the series and being treated as a character, not just being a disposable prop feels fresh. I really wish they don't blow it the finale with all these characters.

Everyone's a damn critic.

It's not a mess of their own making, it's part of her arc.

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic

This is my new favorite episode, I can't remember having this much fun with any of the other episodes in the season, not even with Frenemies, although it comes close, and this truly feels like a satisfying last season of the series episode.  It was an extremely entertaining episode where everypony was at their best at some point or another during the episode, it was hilarious, it’s setting up the finale even more, it made me like Twilight again, and Cozy Glow was just the best. Again.

• Brohoof 3

22 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I noticed that cutie marks weren’t disappearing when Tirek their magic. Was it because he didn’t absorb all of it?

Exactly!

Like I said above,

49 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Tirek seems to be holding back from sucking ALL the life force from the ponies. The victims cutie marks didn't disappear so it's likely because Tirek is only taking enough to make a pony feel weak and disoriented.

It was enough to cause setbacks in the Celebration all just to distract so they could sneak in and take the book of their goal. 

Like a good game of chess.

• Brohoof 4

Urge to splat the Legion of Doom...rising. How dare they show their hide in Canterlot and mess everything up!

Other than that, this is a great episode and Twilight not Twilighting for once. I'm gonna miss all the celebrations Celestia and Luna did together though.

• Brohoof 2

MLP SUMMER SUN SETBACK:

SPOILER ALERT! This episode is definitely my favorite of the most recent MLP season 9 episodes. It fabulously continues the season long arc with the villains and Twilight getting closer to being the ruler of all Equestria like I feel the last episodes of the series should be doing. It does not feel like wasteful filler like the 2 previous episodes. Like I said this episode made me dislike “Trivial” even more. Though I did notice the little callback to “Trivial” as Twilight was joking with the sisters, which was rather clever and funny. Even Twilight acknowledges she freaks more over Trivia than other worries! Twilight and Pinkie Pie are back to normal here Thank God.  My favorite scene was towards the end where Twilight raises the sun herself and then beautifully honors Celestia and Luna. That scene truly shows Twilight coming full circle and it was just downright touching. I love the way the lighting around Twilight’s head was the same as the lighting in the beginning of Twilight’s cutie mark story when Celestia is raising the sun so the sun is shinning behind her whole body. The fact that Celestia and Luna picked Twilight to plan the Summer Sun celebration before even deciding this would be the last ceremony was a nice callback to season 4. I like that we got to see more about how the amulet actually works. I love that Celestia and Luna acknowledged the problems Twilight had raising the sun in “Dark and Dawn” and actually gave her a proper lesson. The parts with the villains and the rest of the Mane 6 were funny and well executed. The part where Tirek drained magic out of the earth ponies was interesting and certainly raised the stakes. A lot of people on the internet seem to think Tirek’s use of his powers in this episode was a continuity error because the earth ponies retain their cutie marks but I happen to think Tirek is using his powers in a different way here because it was described as “draining life force” rather than “draining magic” and eating Grogar’s magic may have changed Tirek’s powers slightly. I wonder if “draining life force” could kill a pony? I know that’s too dark for this show but the question crossed my mind regardless. I loved Applejack’s line about nobody listening to her!!! Everyone in the Mane 6 is in character this episode. My only minor problem with the episode is Queen Chystalis’s line at the end where she says that they divided the ponies when they actually didn’t. They created chaos yes but the only ponies who seemed divided by pony race were the unicorns Cystalis spoke to. The idea of dividing the ponies is an interesting one but I beg the writers to please make the lesson of the finale a little more than a lesson on racism PLEASE!  Something deeper! Racism was already covered in season 8. 

• Brohoof 1