Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Listen to AM radio?

DubWolf

8 hours ago, Envy said:

When I think of AM radio, I think of those awful conservative talk shows. I ain't going anywhere near AM radio.

Usually here it's just sports commentation if you're lucky, usually just fuck all here,
Sometimes listening to both biases will help you form an opinion,

6 hours ago, Cash In said:

I have a few times, though I'd rather listen to any of the alternatives.

same to be honest

1 hour ago, Prospekt said:

I've listened to sports that the local sports FM stations won't carry, but that's rare. Normally I just stick to FM.

That's usually all that usually AM radio has,
It's all repeated usually on FM here

• Brohoof 2

I don't really listen to AM radio or radio stations in general. Most of the time, I'll listen to the radio if I'm out driving with my sister. As she mostly listens to Q102 - Philly's #1 Hit Music Station. Although, I never really turn the radio on if I'm out driving by myself. 

I do remember listening to the radio with my dad, whenever he turned to 93.3 WMMR - Everything that Rocks. I always enjoyed listening to that station from time to time. 

7 hours ago, Sherbert MGS said:

Usually here it's just sports commentation if you're lucky, usually just fuck all here,
Sometimes listening to both biases will help you form an opinion,

Years ago, before my dad got XM radio, he would always have those talk show hosts on in the car because he liked to ridicule them. Rest assured, I've heard them all, and I'm very glad my dad got XM radio not long after Trump was "elected".

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Envy said:

Years ago, before my dad got XM radio, he would always have those talk show hosts on in the car because he liked to ridicule them. Rest assured, I've heard them all, and I'm very glad my dad got XM radio not long after Trump was "elected".

XM Radio? Is that like DAB radio or Internet Radio?
Here in Scotland DAB has only recently became popular,
we all use FM radio or Internet radio here usually because everyone has access to those, and they sound better.

• Brohoof 1

I never listen to the radio. Can’t stand all the annoying commercials. Plus you can’t replay your favourite songs. :P

That said, I would listen to FM. I think there’s like 3 stations on AM and they’re all talk shows that speak a different language to me. :derp:

6 hours ago, Sherbert MGS said:

XM Radio? Is that like DAB radio or Internet Radio?
Here in Scotland DAB has only recently became popular,
we all use FM radio or Internet radio here usually because everyone has access to those, and they sound better.

My dad has Sirius XM. I just looked it up and it is satellite radio.

1 hour ago, Sherbert MGS said:

What is satellite radio?

I don't know anything beyond the obvious (satellite). Besides that, it is a subscription service that can be used in modern cars (how many and how I don't know, I don't know much about cars).

I'll tune in to an AM station when repairing an old vacuum tube radio and such. There's a couple stations that are local, but it's not the kinda stuff I like to listen to

On 8/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, WWolf said:

People sound different than on FM :wacko: .

That's likely due to the 10kHz bandwidth of AM stations  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Envy said:

I don't know anything beyond the obvious (satellite). Besides that, it is a subscription service that can be used in modern cars (how many and how I don't know, I don't know much about cars).

huh...
here we all use free methods like FM and in very new cars DAB

• Brohoof 1

Yes. In my drive to and from work, signal is too weak for me to listen to FM most of the time. I listen to AM radio for traffic/weather report, as well as sports games.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, mini said:

I don't even know what the difference is between FM and AM

I don't even listen to the radio anyway

AM: Amplitude Modulation. THe amplitude (signal strength, the height of the peaks on the sine wave) of a radio wave is changed for radio transmission. AM radio became huge in the 1920s, and is still used as an alternative to FM.

FM: Frequency Modulation. The frequency (also signal strength, the number of peaks on the sine wave) of the radio wave is changed for the radio transmission. Invented in the late 1920s, it became widespread because of the better audio quality over AM. FM also uses the VHF radio band, which television also uses to this day.

• Brohoof 1