Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E18 - She Talks to Angel

Dark Horse
Message added by Jeric

SPOILERS FOR THIS EPISODE ONLY ARE ALLOWED IN THIS TOPIC. NO SPOILERS RELATED TO EPISODES AFTER THIS WILL BE ALLOWED. 

She Talks to Angel  

69 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think

• Furious Bunny Noises
    • Annoyed Bunny Noises
    • Indifferent Bunny Noises
    • Impressed Bunny Noises
    • Adorable Bunny Noises

Quite a few points on this episode.

1) I liked Fluttershy's disheveled hair at the begining.

2) I suspect part of Fluttershy's rule on no eating other sanctuary inmates had to be put in place because a lot of these animals seem to be quite healthy and active (the wolf, snake, bear) and are merely enjoying a resort holiday so if they're going to stay around injured prey animals they need to not eat them. It goes back to what I've said elsehwere the difference between animal and person seems in Equestria to be nothing more than the ability to speak. If you are going to worrry about something what about the fire lizard's starvation diet to see why its smoking?

3) Zecora does like taking risks with that potion i wonder if its a bit of buried animosity over a certain plant incident awhile back?

4) Curious that both Fluttershy and angel were more concerned about the species part of the change than the gender one. Though I can see all sorts of uses for that potion and the idea of Pinkie or Dash getting ahold of it and using it for pranks is . . . a mix of worrying and amusing. I LOVED the fact they showed the swap by actions rather than having the voices remain the same for the person inside the body (not that they could) like so many shows do.

5) Angel is quite amusing when he can be understood.

6) The stare was also amusing along with Angel's griping about it.

7) Something seemed out of place with Twilight though I can't put a hoof on what. . .

8) Concentrated carrot extract makes me wonder more and more about Pony cooking and science for this to be a thing.

9) Dr Fauna seems to be spending a lot of time at the sanctuary these day's.

10) I knew that was a fire lizard.

11) So Fluttershy is swamped with work between the sanctuary and school, I imagine Applejack, Rarity and Dash are in similar boats with their responsabilities. Even Pinkie Pie is probably getting stretched thin and she's working at a store with two other ponies. Now the princesses want them to take over running the country something is going to break soon.

Edited by Senko

This was a decent Fluttershy and Angel focus episode, probably the first Angel focus episode in existence. It's the second time after Gummy's internal monologue in episode 100 that we get some insight in to what a domesticated animal is thinking, except Angel is able to express his thoughts through words, using Fluttershy's capacity for speech. Meanwhile, Fluttershy can now only communicate with Angel, leaving her feeling lonely and desperate to undo the swap. Seeing Angel speak through Fluttershy's voice was definitely surreal and humorous.

The problem with juggling the sanctuary and the school is addressed. Fluttershy has little time to tend to Angel and this makes him feel jealous towards the other animals. When she becomes an adviser to Princess Twilight Sparkle, how will she have time for anything else? Overworking is bad for health.

It seems like Zecora set the whole thing up since I'm sure she would understand the difference between a regular gecko and a fire lizard. How did she even know Fluttershy and Angel were having a friendship problem and why did she deem it her responsibility to deal with it? This is something I would expect more from Starlight, who has often used the most controversial solutions to disputes. Also, counseling is actually her career.

Overall, an entertaining albeit slightly contrived episode. Considering Angel's bad publicity with fans, I think this did a good job at making him appear more sympathetic. And he ships Fluttershy/Discord, which is pretty humorous, especially for some shippers.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

So, with that in mind, the show seems to be trying to have it both ways. These "non-speaking" species act sentient sometimes, in some ways, for particular scenes or gags or plots. But then, outside of those particular scenes or gags or plots, the same species are also sometimes treated as not sentient, and the show almost never brings up this mismatch or any of the moral, legal, and practical issues that would come up from it.

And then there's the as-of-yet unanswered question as to why the cows and sheep from S1 were able to speak and yet they were OK with being treated as nothing more than livestock. Certainly they must have the same sticky hoof powers that ponies have and can use tools to build a society? There's also the goats that make up Iron Will's crew and they seem as intelligent as ponies, but they don't seem to be able to speak, at least not in pony language.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

What would have happened if, say, Angel drank one of the potions and Fluttershy didn't drink the other one? Would thepotion just stay in Angel's system permanently, waiting to act until the other one was drunk, too?

My guess is that is what would happen. I guess the contents of the potion are quantum entangled or something? :)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know something is unexpected going on in this episode when Fluttershy and Angel Bunny switched bodies, that's suddenly weird and confusing of their voices. :confused: When they return to their original bodies after being unexpectedly switched, I knew what's going on and Fluttershy herself will exactly take good care of all animals, and Angel will be in good hands with Fluttershy for now on. Therefore, I will say this is a great episode for fixing everything what has to be in her animal sanctuary! :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm impressed at how the writers can still come up with unique ideas for episodes. I never imagined to hear Angel's actual voice in the show. I haven't really cared much about him until now as he didn't play any significant roles besides mildly annoying Fluttershy from time to time. This episode told a lot about him and his personality, and I'm glad to get a new character I can care about.  :mlp_yeehaa:

I am so glad that we got a better glimpse into Angel’s thoughts/motives. This was just a fun episode and it was satisfying for Angel to learn the lesson he did.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:25 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

So, as everyone is well aware by now, vegan snake cookies has been my number one wishlist item since the very beginning of the series.  I've been hoping and wishing for years that we would get vegan snake cookies before series end.  Thank Celestia--I can die happy.  :squee:

What's poning, ponles?

I really liked this one.  I didn't think I was going to, but it was great.  Angel has always been a sniveling little piece of sh*t, but it was kind of nice to actually get to hear his side.  It was a clever way to have him talk without actually having him talk, which would have been stupid.  It was nice to see them bond and understand each other, there.  It was all really well done.  I'm surprised they didn't call it Wacky Wednesday.... or.... um... Manic Monday.... or uh... Silly Saturday.

We got to see Zecora at least one more time before the end!  :squee::D:mlp_yeehaa:

I really enjoyed seeing some proper screen time of the animal sanctuary.  I think I'm the only one who liked Fluttershy Leans In, and I always wanted to see more of the sanctuary.  I really liked seeing some close-up time with the animals.  They were all so cute!  My favorite was Clementine the giraffe.  I loved Antoine the python too, and omg, that little fire lizard was adorable!  I found it kind of funny that most of the animals had human names, while most ponies seem to have names that are either just their cutie mark, or that describe what they do.

I absolutely loved the predator/prey support group.  I thought it was pretty gritty and legit that they actually explicitly addressed that some of these animals want to eat the others, and do in the wild.  I was surprised by that.  Pretty cool.  And I was downright shocked that they actually had Antoine eat Muriel the elephant.  I mean, they had to get her out before she started being digested!  :mlp_blink:  Holy crap, dude!  That's pretty gruesome if you think about it.  I'm sure Muriel wouldn't mind it if K flashy-thinged that memory away!

I found it very interesting that Angel could immediately speak to all the other animals when in Fluttershy's body.  This is actually an extremely important fact in terms of continuity, and I think they nailed it.  Angel clearly can't speak to the other animal species normally, because Fluttershy had to translate for him at the end (really nice touch, btw.  I loved that.)  So, the fact that he can talk to the animals as Fluttershy clearly proves that her Dr. Doolittle ability is something contained in her physical body, most likely a latent magical ability (like the Pinkie Sense), that is part of her physiology.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with her memories or knowledge.  In other words, she doesn't "speak" animal, like humans speak a language.  She can't teach any other creature to do it.  It's more akin to, say, Superman's ability to fly.  If you were to "switch" bodies with Superman, than you'd be able to fly, and he wouldn't in your body.  It would have nothing to do with his memories.  The ability lies in the computer's hardware, not what's installed on the hard drive.  That's how I always suspected it worked.  This just confirms it.

"I want to marry Discord."  :love:

Reveal hidden contents

I glad the [most likely] last Fluttershy spotlight was a good one.  Yay!  :yay:

first, that was not a confirmation, agnel was just making fun of her owner and second both characters were never interested in each other.

• 2 months later...

This was a really weird but interesting episode. The animals seem to understand but can't speak back. I wouldn't call them animals at the point. Knowing that real world animals cannot eat what is outside of their intended sources, the animals here just seem to have...preferences.

The part where Angel takes over as Fluttershy for the animal sanctuary was a bit grating. Hell, he even had that elephant eaten by the snake with the keys stuck in his trunk. That was pretty dark for this episode, but I loved seeing Zecora in this one.

I like seeing Fluttershy act the way angel does though in a weird way, I suppose. But as long as it doesn't actually harm others. One could say, that she would be perfect for the element of cruelty if she never developed her shy personality... 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh joy, a body swapping episode! What else is new?! /s

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this episode. It's very boring, the plot was so unoriginal, and seeing Angel in Fluttershy's body talking all dude-bro was very weird.

I feel that this episode was made just to make people like Angel and it doesn't work for me. I don't like Angel then and I still don't like him now, so I'm not buying it.

Also, that "Fluttershy marrying Discord" line was just pure fan-service bait to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

This is one of those episodes that felt like it should've happened much earlier in the show to me.

Both Angel and Fluttershy have anger issues, it's nuts. It's completely understandable though, considering their circumstances.