Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Disney In Recent Years

Spidey10

Even though Disney is probably the most successful movie studio in the world right now, I can say that I've grown to like them less and less. Sure they've made some classic films like Lion King, Beauty And The Beast, the Toy Story films, Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Up, etc and put out the odd surprisingly good film now and again today (Christopher Robin, Zootopia, and Moana come to mind), however they've also been really busy making a lot of mediocre/crappy films IMHO.

Most people seem to complain about the live action remakes of the classic Disney animated films. I have to agree with that. I'll admit that I did enjoy Jungle Book and Cinderella, but films like Alice In Wonderland, Maleficent, Beauty And The Beast 2017, Aladdin, and Lion King just feel soulless and poorly paced and I'm shocked that some of them made over a billion dollars. I'm not against the idea of remakes in general, but I have to believe that most of these live action adaptations will be forgotten in a couple of years while the original animated films will continue to be classics.

The MCU may be the most successful franchise, but I'm tapped out now. I find most of their films without much directorial style (Sans the first Iron Man, Thor, Guardians 1, and Winter Solider) and the last few films have had really shoddy color grading, an overreliance on comedy (Especially with Ragnarok), over edited and bland action scenes (Captain Marvel), mostly forgettable scores and villains, and they sometimes beat you over the head with the shared universe connections (Especially in the MCU Spidey films). The MCU has yet to make a CBM on par with something like The Dark Knight or Logan or Raimi's Spider-Man films or Man Of Steel. Some of the fanbase also turns me off as I've seen several MCU fanboys actually hoping for other Marvel based films from Fox and Sony to fail just because they aren't in the MCU. We're seeing a lot of this happening again with the Marvel/Sony split (Which happened because they got too greedy despite making tons of money of merchandise). I'm personally happy with it considering that other than ASM2, I think Sony has done a great job with Spider-Man and Venom and their world on film and with the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series (One of my Top 3 favorite shows) and the recent PS4 game.

With Disney Star Wars, I'll admit that I still like The Force Awakens, but Rogue One, Last Jedi, and Solo haven't aged well for me and if some Rise Of Skywalker leaks are to be believed, I have a feeling that film will also end up disappointing.

And even some great animated shows from Disney like Gravity Falls and Star Vs The Forces Of Evil had rushed endings. Granted in Gravity Falls's case it was creator Alex Hirsch's decision, but I believe Star Vs was cut short due to a rule they have about shows not going beyond 4 seasons. And because of that we got a series finale that felt incomplete.

And of course you have their purchase of 20th Century Fox. I know Fox was going to sell anyway (Which I hated), but if they were going to sell they should've sold to someone else (Not Comcast, maybe Sony though). Despite promising at CinemaCon that they'll keep the Fox division as is, they've recently started changing major parts of it and cancelling over a hundred Fox projects that were in development.

But that's just my take. What do you think of Disney in recent years? Comment and let me know and thanks for reading. :0)

• Brohoof 3

It's a 95+ year old company that originated in 1923. Its history is full of ups and downs. If Disney is indeed on the downclide, it will come back up

I still stand by my belief that just because something Disney makes seems unnecessary to you, like the Live Action Remakes, it doesn't mean it can't find its fans who enjoy these unnecessary films for reasons of their own. I myself love the 2017 Beauty and the Beast Live Action Remake due to fixing some plotholes in the animated film (Animated Prince implied to be cursed as an 11 year old child, Why the existence of a large castle seemed to have been ignored by a nearby town) or making LeFou wise up to what an awful man Gaston is. I'm not saying it's better than the original, just that it brought some new stuff so you can freely choose which version you personally enjoy.

As long as a "bad" film can give something that is worthwhile to any individual viewer, I don't really see the point in complaining about this all the time. A little complaint is fine, just don't let your complaining keep you from looking for actual things that might pleasantly surprise you. At the end of the day, it's really a matter of personal opinion, not an exact science that determines wheter a film is pointless or not.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 2

Jungle Book, I would say was my favorite "Live action remake" in recent years. Aladdin was pretty good, in my opinion. Lion King was not bad, but also not worth watching a second time. (Though I don't know how much of that is because I memorized virtually every scene of the original film.) I agree with you that Beauty and the Beast and Alice in Wonderful are not the best films. Loved all the Star Wars movies, though.

For the most part, I can agree with your sentiment that it's becoming "less interesting." However, I also suspect that age and movie experience might have greatly influenced that opinion. Frozen, for example, is very popular, even though I did not like it at all.

Let's not forget Coco, though. I think that was one of the best Disney/Pixar films in the past three years.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, ChB said:

Let's not forget Coco, though. I think that was one of the best Disney/Pixar films in the past three years.

Forgot to mention Coco with the recent Disney films I enjoyed. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Don't really plan on touching too much into this, just my two cents on a couple of things

1 hour ago, Spidey10 said:

The MCU has yet to make a CBM on par with something like The Dark Knight or Logan or Raimi's Spider-Man films or Man Of Steel

The Captain America movies though. I legitimately think it's the best Superhero trilogy, and I do mean including the Dark Knight trilogy

Also Man of Steel is the last movie I'd call a top tier superhero movie

an overreliance on comedy (Especially with Ragnarok)

I won't accept this slander on Thor Ragnarok. One of the best MCU films and singlehandedly saved Thor as a character. It actually shows why the comedy is important in some of these movies

We're seeing a lot of this happening again with the Marvel/Sony split (Which happened because they got too greedy despite making tons of money of merchandise). I'm personally happy with it considering that other than ASM2, I think Sony has done a great job with Spider-Man and Venom

Yeah, sorry, After the ASM movies, Venom and Spiderman 3, I have no faith in Sony handling Spiderman movies, they have a really bad history of meddling in their movies. Venom is my favorite Spiderman antagonist and I hate Sony's boner for him and trying to force him in everything, I remember not too long ago about how they were trying to force Marvel to include him into the MCU and Holland's Spiderman 3, which just tells me they haven't learned a damned thing. Spiderverse was great and people loved it, but I'm positive the reason it was so great was because Sony was smart enough to leave it alone and Lord & Miller got to make the movie they wanted. Otherwise Sony has a pretty shit history with animated movies and we've seen what kind of movies they churn out when they're actually in control(Emoji's Movie anyone?)

With Disney Star Wars, I'll admit that I still like The Force Awakens, but Rogue One, Last Jedi, and Solo haven't aged well for me and if some Rise Of Skywalker leaks are to be believed, I have a feeling that film will also end up disappointing.

Agreed for the most part with this, though I think Rogue One is the best movie since the original trilogy and on par with it

And of course you have their purchase of 20th Century Fox. I know Fox was going to sell anyway (Which I hated), but if they were going to sell they should've sold to someone else (Not Comcast, maybe Sony though)

I don't really mind it much, it was Fox's decision to sell in the first place and Disney simply jumped on the offer

I agree with the live-action remakes. Just cynical cash grabs and I'm really sick of them. They should give them all to Tim Burton since every time he's done one they've bombed

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 2

On 9/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, Kiryu-Chan said:

Don't really plan on touching too much into this, just my two cents on a couple of things

The Captain America movies though. I legitimately think it's the best Superhero trilogy, and I do mean including the Dark Knight trilogy

Also Man of Steel is the last movie I'd call a top tier superhero movie

I won't accept this slander on Thor Ragnarok. One of the best MCU films and singlehandedly saved Thor as a character. It actually shows why the comedy is important in some of these movies

Yeah, sorry, After the ASM movies, Venom and Spiderman 3, I have no faith in Sony handling Spiderman movies, they have a really bad history of meddling in their movies. Venom is my favorite Spiderman antagonist and I hate Sony's boner for him and trying to force him in everything, I remember not too long ago about how they were trying to force Marvel to include him into the MCU and Holland's Spiderman 3, which just tells me they haven't learned a damned thing. Spiderverse was great and people loved it, but I'm positive the reason it was so great was because Sony was smart enough to leave it alone and Lord & Miller got to make the movie they wanted. Otherwise Sony has a pretty shit history with animated movies and we've seen what kind of movies they churn out when they're actually in control(Emoji's Movie anyone?)

Agreed for the most part with this, though I think Rogue One is the best movie since the original trilogy and on par with it

I don't really mind it much, it was Fox's decision to sell in the first place and Disney simply jumped on the offer

I agree with the live-action remakes. Just cynical cash grabs and I'm really sick of them. They should give them all to Tim Burton since every time he's done one they've bombed

I love Man Of Steel more than most people I'll admit. Second favorite film of 2013 behind Prisoners.

I still trust Sony. Yes they've screwed up before with ASM2, but I grew up loving the Raimi Trilogy (Even Part 3 despite it's issues) and The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon (Miss it so much) and actually enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man and Venom (And the Eminem song is awesome).

I liked Rogue One on first viewing and it does have a mostly terrific action setpiece in the third act, but I felt a lot of the characters weren't really developed and I would love to see the original cut before they did all the reshoots.

Well Burton's Alice In Wonderland actually made a lot of money despite being total crap, but Dumbo (Which I didn't see) did not.

I think Disney does Animated films and theme park stuff much better than other forms of media

On a side note, I see Sony only good at making video game systems not Animated films like how Disney and Pixar does (I'm looking at you Emoji movie)

The modern Disney is only a dying shadow of its former self, more obsessed with squeezing more money out of their customers than creating fresh, original product. Sure, they come up with some decent stuff here and there; with all their resources it’s almost impossible not to hit on something worthwhile somewhere in the mix. But the fact is they don’t care anymore. When Walt was at the helm it was all about the art. He recognized that he couldn’t make art without money and that’s a fact of life, but it was never necessary to take advantage of people to get it. If they have a good product and make an effort to perfect it, fine. But nowadays it’s just a cynical machine more concerned with promotion than good art or customer satisfaction. But since Disney is so huge now and can absorb any losses that might occur, they don’t have to be good at what they do, only prolific enough to temporarily dazzle the public and keep the dollars rolling in. Once they finish a movie there’s no lingering artistic pride, only a mind for how they might market it for dvd, theme parks, merchandise and subsequent sales. That’s why the live-action remakes are getting worse; they’re just a commodity that they can cash-in on until public interest dries up (and obviously it hasn’t dried up yet, much to my astonishment). In Walt’s day, there was a saying they’d use at Disneyland; “Always let the customer go home with some money in their pockets,” but now it’s just the opposite. Little does the modern Disney realize that more customers will return over and over if they don’t get fleeced every time. That goes for the movies as well as the theme parks. Profits don’t have to equate to screwing the public; it always works much better if everyone is satisfied.  

• Brohoof 2