Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Order of Rarity - The Church of Fabulosity

Jeric

17 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

of course there are differences in gear, that is the case between european knights of different regions and timeperiods aswel, but functionally, they're pretty much the same, both were warriors under a certain king/shogun/emperor, and feudal lords of specific regions, not all knights were lords of course, but i believe the same applies to samurai
then again this is the church of fabulosity thread, so maybe attire should be held in priority :proud:

Again, if you want to over-simplify things, then yes. You are correct. However, the differences matter. And unless you can find any historians, especially any Japanese historians, that are willing to say that they are the same thing, then they aren't. And I've seen Japanese people who would be insulted if you implied otherwise to their face. Bushido =/= Chivalry. If you are the child of a samurai, then by law of the Japanese class system, you are obligated to become a samurai yourself. Knights do not follow the same logic; becoming a knight is always optional. Furthermore, the concept of Knights and Samurai are rooted in their country of origin (Europe and Japan). I'm not saying foreigners can't become samurai or knights; they have. But to say one is basically the same as the other is like saying a Japanese onigiri (rice ball) is the same a sandwich. It's not. The concept may be the same, but it's still different.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to shoot you down. I'm saying we can both be right about this. :grin: I avoided getting into the huge list of smaller differences because I don't think it matters as much as the major differences (and besides, that's what YouTube is for!). But also, I don't want to drag this conversation out much longer. This thread is for praising the fabulous Miss Rarity! So if you want to keep talking about the finer points of samurais vs knights, I have an open inbox for ya.

...And despite my bias, I am pretty sure Rarity would prefer knights anyways... :worry:

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

like saying a Japanese onigiri (rice ball) is the same a sandwich

I know it wouldn’t have fit the metaphor, but man, I would have been so tempted to put “doughnut”...

D6B57BFB-CE67-4DD6-9CE4-7945970BCAC1.thumb.jpeg.a15ecd6fe989d07ff72a243b9fa8d80b.jpeg

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

On 9/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, TBD said:

You hear that @Pharynx? You guys are going to be in the new fashion era... wearing socks!

bdd.jpg

Psst, it's just me, guys, Thorax! Pharynx hasn't touched his account for weeks. Do you think he'll notice me posting memes through his account?

The drones put me up to it, I swear! :please:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Pharynx said:

Psst, it's just me, guys, Thorax! Pharynx hasn't touched his account for weeks. Do you think he'll notice me posting memes through his account?

The drones put me up to it, I swear! :please:

Time to bring out the hazmat suit, @Rarity

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Samurai Equine said:

Can someone be a darling and help me, please?

I fear I must confess my sins against fabulosity...

Tabi socks with geta sandals. They might be okay in one culture, but apparently not so much in another... :sunny:

you have nothing to confess, geta are one of those timeless things that never go out of fashion

• Brohoof 2

Not even one week later and this place seems dwindling.

1291265.gif

No matter, I'll just sit here in the back sewing things. That is what we do in the Church of Fashion, right?

Wait it's Fabulosity? Well Bobbins and Buttons, :sassy: I spread that message in my real life last week already!

IMG_20190908_214436.thumb.jpg.789cb5014b44747d52d47bbd5f601cbe.jpg

And here I was brushing up on everything from 7th grade sewing class for nothing :stressed:

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...