Dragon Dropped  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• Wow, right through the floor!
    • Only a bit of damage...
    • Impressive thud.
    • It bounced?
    • Ahhh! Multiball!

It's a fairly common trope in certain films with a teen girl writing Mrs ... and the surname of her crush as she imagines them marrying too.

Badges

Okay so I've been preoccupied with video game problems recently but I had to say something about this episode as a Spike/Rarity shipper. Objectively, I can't find much fault in this story and I'll elaborate on that later so my personal issue with this is the way it seems to undo the progress made in Best Gift Ever. I could relate to Rarity as Spike stopped giving her attention and while he had no obligation to hang out with her, he should have acknowledged her at least. Rarity was also wrong when she persuaded him not to hang out with Gabby. However, the way Gabby reacted was no better since Spike has no obligation to hang out with her either. The whole point of Season 3 episode 3 was that friends don't have to hang out all the time so a lot of this episode was Rarity and Gabby getting jealous over Spike.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad episode, but not good. I'm conflicted. There were some humorous moments like Twilight's annoyance with Rarity misplacing her couch and Rarity's melodramatic apologies. Nopony does melodrama better than her. There were are few moments that reinforced Spike/Rarity such as the last scene but I think they were overshadowed by Spike's OOC indifference to Rarity. Nevertheless, it's an episode focused on my favorite pony and dragon and has a nice moral about sharing, so I can't regret watching it. I'd rather watch this than Season 5 episode 11 which remains my most disliked episode to this day.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, Senko said:

2) First gem cave exploration had me expecting Opalessence to be the one carrying Rarities basket.

Y'know, that's cool, I actually thought the same thing!

Badges

On 9/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

(funny this got brought up so recently, just got to watch it in theaters yesterday for the anniversary re-release).

Lol, I probably subconsciously thought about it because I recall seeing at least one email from my local theater about its special event anniversary release. Though I don't recall now if it was before or after I posted my comment, double lol.

I guess it's possible though that Spike has known for long enough that Rarity can't reciprocate, but he's just enjoying the fantasy of pursuing her anyhow because... why not?

My impression of him in his S1 episodes was his aim was to score points with her ahead of time, so when he was old enough to date her he'd already be ahead in the game when it came to future competition from other stallions. And it seemed to have worked to an extent, since of all the characters she could have grabbed, she grabbed for him during the climax of "Scare Master."

In later seasons when Sparity had been pushed to the sidelines (compared to its propensity in S1), it's less clear if that was his aim anymore. He may have just been happy to experience the euphoria of being near her and being helpful.

The funniest thing I can think of about such an episode would be something along the lines of, "I am NOT calling him Dad."  To which Spike obviously replies, "I wouldn't want you to, that's just weird."

Well, it was be particularly weird if she were instructed to call him dad because it would imply Sweetie Belle is actually Rarity's child. XD (Which, I'm well aware is a theory considered in some circles of the fandom due to the lack of presence of Rarity and Sweetie Belle's actual parents.)

If Spike did marry Rarity, it would make him Sweetie Belle's brother-in-law, which is a lot easier than thinking of him as dad. And if Spike married Apple Bloom, then he and Big Mac would be brothers, which would be kind of neat.

Badges