heavens-champion

Movies/TV Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

So, there is a new show on Netflix called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. It's a prequel to The Dark Crystal, taking place when the Gelfling are still alive, and the Skeksis are considered the benevolent rulers of the world... until a Gelfling discovers a terrible secret the Skeksis have been hiding and sparks a rebellion. I thought I'd share some info on it with you in case any of you haven't seen it. Here's a trailer.

Edited by heavens-champion

Badges

I love the movie, it played a big part in my childhood. I might just give this series a shot.

Holy heck! I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw this thread I was a little worried. Having seen a couple of pretty dreadful netflix aduptations I was scared that this was going to be no exception. But after watching that I'm genuinely hype to watch this. I really appreciate that they've taken to again using puppets for this. I know it would of probably been easier and cheaper to make an animated series of some description so I'm really happy they stuck to their guns here.

I wonder if this is done by Jim Henson company :pout: I'll have to do some research. Hopefully they release a 'Making of' documentary as for me I almost enjoyed watching the making of's of both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth more than the movies themselves. Always found it fascinating the amount of different techniques and tv magic used to create these projects. Fingers crossed I guess! :please:

7 hours ago, Vinyl Scratch. said:

I wonder if this is done by Jim Henson company

I think they are!  I think Jim Henson's daughter is also a part of the production too.

I've only seen a couple episodes and it's great, definitely recommend seeing it when you can!!!

Badges

I watched this show and it was alright. It probably would have been a better with fewer episodes and less filler. But I liked the characters and I like the original movie, which is what got me interested in this. If you like the original movie it's definitely worth a look. 

I absolutely love this series!

I won't lie, I was less than optimistic when it was first announced, but I was immediately converted when I started watching it.  They've kept everything so true to the original and I love the new characters as well, especially Deet, she is just absolutely adorable.

I've watched it all the way through twice already, and I hope they don't keep us waiting too long for a second series.

The only problem is... if you've seen the film, you know how it has to end :(

Badges

I love Deet. She's so cute.

deet_by_wen_jr_ddfmqf3-pre.jpg?token=eyJ

Now I want to read the Dark Crystal books and comics.

Edited by Fluttershutter

Badges

5 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

True, but at least we knew it was coming.

Badges

I liked that the show had a nice dose of physical effects and real puppetry and didn’t rely too much on CG. It gave it a nice look like the original movie. Nice voice cast too, including my favorite, Mark Hamill.  

10 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

True, but at least we knew it was coming.

There is a possibility that they won't actually finish the series where the film starts, Aughra does after all say that she can see many paths and many different outcomes, so they might pull the 'alternate timeline' gag and take the series elsewhere.  I would be somewhat disappointed if they do this, I would rather they stay true to the film no matter how heartbreaking the final outcome would have to be.

Badges

I found this cool drawing:

deet_pony__the_dark_crystal__age_of_resi

On 9/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, Concerned Bystander said:

Well, it's just possible a lot of the Gelflings could escape into space. :sneer:

Badges