Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why do all griffins start with G?

Shady Mist

Are you looking for the meta reason, or the in-universe reason? Because the meta reason is simple. It’s a cute theme/pattern that the crew enjoy using.

As for in-universe, it could be anything from a big coincidence that we keep running into G named griffons, or it could be an actual species tradition.

• Brohoof 5

There is something similar in the book Sandman, where Cain and Abel debates what Abel's new pet gargoyle should be named and Cain violently insists that names of gargoyles should begin with G.

I don't know where that rule came from, neither the one about griffins, but it might have a history.

AEED42F1-0DCE-4EC5-A6B7-E3E9FFA21EE8.png.1e427aa858bf0b5eb6dfb8d56c0d0b40.png

Don't forget how every dragon's name is 'intimidating', related to fire, or related to something that dragons do. Maintaining a theme for the names of the characters you write makes things easier to organize and also helps you look 'cool and creative'. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's never been an in-universe answer to that question, but I would have to believe it's related to their culture and traditions. They're a pretty stubborn bunch so I go with that.

Likely why it's hinted that zebra names start with z.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't think I will ever be able to unnotice it. I honestly don't know how have I not noticed it the first time I watched the show. But now that you point it out, I too consider it a nice little gimmick for griffins!

I would also really love it if all zebras in the show had their names starting with letter Z. And who knows what other cratures could follow the same gimmick?

BTW I just noticed something similar about changelings: all changelings names are either scientific words for body parts, or just simple Latin words. Because whenever I google the name of a changeling without typing in "MLP" or something, I moslty get images of body parts. Which is really weird!

Still, very good point!

• Brohoof 1