Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode hits you most close to home?

Odyssey

Pretentious title is pretentious, but my point stands, hahaha.

So! We all have episodes that we love for various reasons. It can be because it was uproariously hilarious, or that it was super exciting from beginning to end. But what about episodes that reminds you of a time in your life where things weren't always perfect? The moments where a character might be going through a familial issue, or another who is doing all they can to help someone in need. Those moments that hit closer to home. Conversely, there might be an episode that does remind you of good memories, and watching it makes you relive those precious moments. Either way, 

Keep in mind that an episode doesn't necessarily have to be one that you like. You can hate the episode all you want, even with those moments that take you to a good or bad time of your life. Also, please keep any future Season 9 spoilers to yourself until they officially air on Discovery Family!

With all that said... which episode is the most "personal" to you?

• Brohoof 2

Magical Mystery Cure. There’s a reason why that’s one of my favorite episodes, despite it’s technical flaws.

What really hit me home is how miserable the rest of the Mane 6 were, in a light tone at first, but later with I’ve Got to Find a Way song, showed how miserable they really were..... that hit TOO close to home at the time :sunny:. And well, A True True Friend helping each other out, and it kinda helped me as well..... something I’ve desperately needed at the time :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

Mine was the episode where Gibble tried to get his step daughter to like him.  I loved how he tried his hardest to impress her and to get her to like him.  But one thing I did not like about the episode was he was so hung up on getting the daughter to like him that he said he didn't want to be apart of the family if she didn't accept him.  Which i think is ridiculous.  I wouldn't let a child predict who i can and cannot date.

• Brohoof 1

Dragon Dropped hit me pretty hard, because although I enjoyed it, it painfully reminded me of some things from my school years. That unwanted but growing feeling of jealousy when you see your friend making a new friend and hanging out with him. That sinking feeling when you realize his new friend has so many cool stuff and keeps inviting him over to play. Looking back it's terrifying how much my emotions impacted me.

In my case we drifted apart because it turned out he was lying about being busy and instead he was with his new friend. It hurt, but later made me realize we were never as close as I thought we were, so maybe this was for the best.

That's why I was happy this episode had a wholesome ending. This episode both hurt and cheered me up. (If that makes sense) 

Edited by JH24

Dragon Quest.
At the time I moved away from a GTA forum full of rough and "wanna-be-cool" boys to stay in the MLP one where they actually cared for me and they're still friends after all these years. That episode perfectely summed a good chunk of my life.

• Brohoof 1

There are two episodes that resonate with me quite well:

1. Once Upon A Zeppelin really hit it home for me in that there are times when you really should make time for yourself, or you'll potentially miss out on things you really want to see or experience. The moment Twilight missed the shooting stars and lost her temper; I felt like I could relate with her so well.

2. A Health of Information is one that I still need to listen to and learn from as I tend to ignore my own health to focus on things like work or whatever. It's a relevant lesson; so much so.

• Brohoof 1

For me it would be Grannies Gone Wild. I can relate to Dash SOOO much in that episode it's not even funny. :mlp_laugh: The lesson I need to learn from that episode? Slow down, don't be so impatient and driven to one thing when you could be missing the fun that's happening around you. Sometimes it takes your friends (or in this case, a bunch of grannies lol) to show you what you're missing out on.  

• Brohoof 1

Amending Fences - Moondacer's experiences prior to reconciliation with Twilight basically describe the story of my life.

The Parent Map - reminded me why I so rarely visit my parents and made me feel ashamed of this fact.

• Brohoof 1

Shadow Play Part 2. I was Stygian to a ridiculous degree of accuracy. The moment Twilight found him sitting in the dark, that sent a shiver straight through me. I was the ultimate emo goth stereotype, but not as a fashion. I was completely lost in the ashes of more than a decade of betrayal from everyone I ever trusted, and had even gone so far as to wear a metaphorical demon as an outer skin for protection. At the darkest moment, an old friend from what felt like eons ago tracked me down and started pulling me out. Then she tricked me into watching a little show, and there were ponies pulling me out too. The parallels were so spot-on, the whole scene put me into a bit of a panic attack.

Testing Testing 1, 2, 3. I've had many learning issues due to my Asperger's. I can really relate to Rainbow Dash's struggle to find an efficient method of studying, as well falling into the same self hatred when things don't work out. That really hit close to home for me.

One is A Friend in Deed, which is also my favorite episode, it's because I relate to Cranky. Usually I'm not so friendly, I don't smile that much, and I don't want to be bothered.

The other is Flutter Brutter, which I hated watching the first time. Even when I despise Zephyr Breeze as a character, I could relate to his situation very much, considering it's been comically exaggerated. The situation was maybe too real for MLP, but it was almost uncomfortably consoling at the end of the episode.

"For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" but oddly enough it's not because I'm Sweetie Belle in this position, no I'm actually Rarity and it really put into perspective the unintentional things I do to make my younger sisters feel stuck in my shadow. It helped to appreciate the work they do and also know how to confront them respectfully if they're even feeling that way. That episode became my favorite instantly and Sweetie Belle became my favorite too because she just felt like another one of my younger sisters and I love them all dearly.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, Cash In said:

Testing Testing 1, 2, 3. I've had many learning issues due to my Asperger's. I can really relate to Rainbow Dash's struggle to find an efficient method of studying, as well falling into the same self hatred when things don't work out. That really hit close to home for me.

Me too. To this day, I consider that episode where I can relate to Rainbow Dash (The Mane 6 member I have the least in common with) and even Twilight learning there's more than one way of studying.

And as for Zephyr Breeze in Flutter Brutter, he may not be a ideal role model but his fear of failure really connected with me. It was to the point that the entire 3rd act feel like a mirror as I watch it. That song was the encouraging song that got me to finish my studies at University. 

• 2 years later...

Honestly I feel like Amending Fences could basically sum up some parts of my life perfectly.

To be honest, Testing Testing, 123 also hits kind of close to home.

(edited)

The episode that hits me the most is Friend in Deed.

This hit me hard as it showed that Cranky was able to be happy again after Pinkie reunited him with his long-lost love.

They lost a lot of time, but it was heaven whenever they were happy together.

That is how I want to feel about the MLP fandom after I started watching MLP: FM so late.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight