Sign in to follow this  
Kawaii Besu

Winter Wrap Up (Anime Rock Cover)

This was a fun one to make. I've been listening to a lot of anime-based J-Rock (think K-ON!, BanG Dream!, and a lot of anime OPs/EDs), and it just felt right to cover Winter Wrap Up into a style like that.

Applejack's part was surprisingly tricky to get right. Those syncopated beats are such finicky stuff that I simplified them slightly. Got more respect for Daniel on that part. :love:

Feedback is welcome! :)

Edited by Kawaii Besu

Badges

On 9/15/2019 at 8:46 AM, C. Thunder Dash said:

Mind if I give a little feedback?

Sure!

Badges

8 minutes ago, Kawaii Besu said:

Sure!

Alright, so the very first thing I heard was that you guitar was overpowering the rest of the track. It made the drums quieter than they should be. Other elements in the mixing were very dodgy as well. Enhancing the vocals using some compression would brighten them up for sure. Add a little drop of gain and lower the attack time to give your vocals more pop. This way, the S's, T's, and other consonant sounds. 

Also...NEEDS MORE BASS! I could hardly hear any bass instrument in the track, which is why I said the mix is off-balanced. A thick and deep bass would definately fit with this style. 

Finally, the transtion from the second slowdown to the final chorus was rather rushed. It would've been best to leave the hold-out on Twilight's vocals adding a cymbal roll, leading right into the final chorus. 

All in all, nice remix but the overall mix of instruments and lack of certain other elements put a damper on this remix. 

4 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Alright, so the very first thing I heard was that you guitar was overpowering the rest of the track. It made the drums quieter than they should be. Other elements in the mixing were very dodgy as well. Enhancing the vocals using some compression would brighten them up for sure. Add a little drop of gain and lower the attack time to give your vocals more pop. This way, the S's, T's, and other consonant sounds. 

Also...NEEDS MORE BASS! I could hardly hear any bass instrument in the track, which is why I said the mix is off-balanced. A thick and deep bass would definately fit with this style. 

Finally, the transtion from the second slowdown to the final chorus was rather rushed. It would've been best to leave the hold-out on Twilight's vocals adding a cymbal roll, leading right into the final chorus. 

All in all, nice remix but the overall mix of instruments and lack of certain other elements put a damper on this remix. 

Yeah, looking back, my guitars were waaaay to loud. Pretty much the stereotypical 'mixer who happens to be a guitarist', loud to be honest. :lol: Also agree with the bass part, it really needs to be louder and more prominent. More 🅱️ a s s, indeed.

I actually have a compressor in the vocal track already, but I just used a preset for vocals that came with the plugin. It does need more oomph in the consonants though, so I'll definitely play with the settings for that.

Hmm, not sure about the transition to the final chorus. I do like the idea of dragging out Twilight's vocals and then going into the final chorus, but that part also has an overdub of "Winter wrap up, winter wrap up" that starts the final chorus. I do remember finding a vocal track that features Twilight's vocals on that part soloed out, so I guess that could be doable.

Thanks for the feedback though! Really appreciate it. :D

Badges

6 minutes ago, Kawaii Besu said:

Yeah, looking back, my guitars were waaaay to loud. Pretty much the stereotypical 'mixer who happens to be a guitarist', loud to be honest. :lol: Also agree with the bass part, it really needs to be louder and more prominent. More 🅱️ a s s, indeed.

I actually have a compressor in the vocal track already, but I just used a preset for vocals that came with the plugin. It does need more oomph in the consonants though, so I'll definitely play with the settings for that.

Hmm, not sure about the transition to the final chorus. I do like the idea of dragging out Twilight's vocals and then going into the final chorus, but that part also has an overdub of "Winter wrap up, winter wrap up" that starts the final chorus. I do remember finding a vocal track that features Twilight's vocals on that part soloed out, so I guess that could be doable.

Thanks for the feedback though! Really appreciate it. :D

No prob!