Ashen Pathfinder

A Hose Shoe-In   

68 users have voted

1. 1. Was this .... a good Pony?

• Starlight DEFCON 5 ( Hated it )
    • RIP Phylis (Not a fan)
    • Needed moar time chair! (Okay)
    • A Great and Powerful Moral (Liked it)
    • STARLIGHT WINS .... FATALITY! (Loved it!)

SPOILER ALERT!

I just saw “Horse Shoe in”. I like this episode so so much better than some previous episodes. It provides good character development for Starlight and Trixie, and acknowledges Twilight taking her position as ruler of Equestria. I’m so glad we get to see how Twilight’s friendship school will function after she takes over for the royal sisters. It was great to see Octavia and Doctor Whooves again before the series ends. I don’t think we have seen those 2 with speaking roles since “Slice Of Life”. I liked Starlight’s interview process and Doctor Whooves was a really good candidate for the position. Sunburst was the perfect choice for VP headmare. Trixie was very careless but it’s clear she truly wants to help Starlight. I don’t know why some people dislike her so much in this thread when Trixie was trying to help for most of it except the napping scene and the bees. Great lesson! Great pacing!

What I wish was improved: Big Mac applying doesn’t make sense to me personally. At least Spoiled Rich applying was more of a joke than Big Mac. It doesn’t make sense why Twilight can’t just rule from Ponyvile since she already has a whole castle there and why she can’t continue to teach in Ponyvile. And I wish it was explained whether the other Mane 5 will teach at the friendship school, at all after Twilight takes power, or do they have other duties, royal or otherwise?? Does Sunburst have to live in Ponyvile now? So many unanswered details. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 3

Some nice details I missed on the first watch, like starlights reaction to doctor hooves monologue about time travail is probably one of if not my favorite moment in the episode.

Is it wrong of me to see the dinner meetings trixie mentions early on as dates?:rarity:

Starlights outburst on trixie was maybe a little over the top, but its not out of character so I have no problem with it. 

Hiring big mac makes little sense to me, and if octavia was afraid of being to busy with the new job to being a musician, why she applied in the first place(same goes to dr hooves)?  

Also, what happened to the flash bees? Did she teleport them? 

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 2

Trixie was indeed incompetent in her opportunity to become vice headmare, but Starlight should’ve handled it far better. She yelled at her, was passive aggressive toward her, and let frustration get to her. Rather than tell her right away she wasn’t fit, she let it go, helped worsen the process, and insulted Trixie. Starlight was right to apologize to her.

• Brohoof 3

Now I can see why certain people enjoyed this episode whether they are a Starlight fan or not. I enjoy how in this final season, characters who we haven't seen in a long time are being given appearances, and that they are either brief ones or full-fledged where they prove necessary to the narrative. For instance, Spoiled Rich was the last person I was expecting, but it did give Chantal Strand something to do, the same with Kazumi Evans. Since this is essentially the last hurrah, it makes sense to go all out and bring back characters who have been forgotten or needed an extra bit of love.

Quick note: They called him Dr. Whooves and he was credited as such in the credits. This wasn't the case in the past so now this is his official name even though the fandom acknowledged this a long time ago.

I see that many are questioning Starlight's decision to apologize to Trixie. I for one feel that this was the right thing to do as she could've avoided so much grief instead of unleashing her frustration like she ended up doing. Trixie wasn't exactly being helpful and she did do a lot that made Starlight furious, but then she didn't deserve to treated the way she was. Starlight has proven time and again that she takes Twilight's lessons to heart even though she doesn't always realize them straight away. By apologizing, Starlight solved the problem she created and learned that Trixie is a natural at listening and giving out advice when necessary. Also, Trixie earns major props for her dealing with Grandpa Gruff.

As usual, the animators were on top form with the various expressions, exaggerations, and so on. Again, it's the final season so going all out is expected. On a different note, this could be the completion of Starlight's arc as she is destined to succeed Twilight as Headmare of the school. With only six episodes remaining, I'd say this is where it ends for her, and it's quite the success story given her initial appearances. This also concludes Trixie's arc I find as well as Sunburst. Speaking of which, he should've been Starlight's initial choice.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Quick note: They called him Dr. Whooves and he was credited as such in the credits. This wasn't the case in the past so now this is his official name even though the fandom acknowledged this a long time ago.

They are brave! Imagine if Hasbro knew the truth?? The writer probably said to the executive producer "Well, his name is Dr. Hooves, because he is... a doctor", and got the nod of acceptance.

This episode is like, oh a Starlight Glimmer funny expression episode. It just can't go wrong! And it didn't! The episode's highlight to me was the last second before the end credits expression.
Is there any way to make an episode bad with Starlight Glimmer? It seems I have seen no bad one since she was introduced (including the bad ones, which are still good ones, only bad because time travel and hair style change, my own opinion of course).

I was so glad to see more of Spoiled Rich, and listen to her wonderful voice actor. Takes me back to the era of the past when Diamond Tiara was a character. Those were the days!

Seriously though, this episode was good! (thank you MLP team for including Starlight Glimmer again. When they are done with Season 9, and realize all good episodes have popular fan characters in them, they might learn how to do the next season... wait... no.... why?)

Edited by Splashee
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, I did not expect Dr. Whooves and Octavia to have speaking roles again since Slice of Life when they appeared in this episode, but I'm glad it happened. Also, I do appreciate that when Starlight was preparing to become Headmare of the school, she needed a Vice Headpony to help her out, and while she was concerned about not wanting to refuse Trixie the opportunity, once Trixie proved she was unable to meet the requirements, Starlight was forced to tell her the truth, leaving her deeply upset. After a talk with Twilight, Starlight makes up with Trixie and has Sunburst become her Vice Headstallion while Trixie filled Starlight's old position as school counselor.

Pretty good episode, with some funny moments, and speaking roles from Octavia and Dr. Whooves, so I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10.

• Brohoof 1

We got elephants cruelty this season, then  in the same season, we got the worst of all, the cruelty of the poor inanimated object, Phyllis the plant.:mustache: R.I.P Phyllis, you always will be in my heart.:(

Anyway.

This ep will be the last Starlight episode and it didn’t disappoint. She finally earns her place after years, being student of Princess of friendship, who think this mare can come this far since Season 5? :rarity: I still prefer she become a badass magic expert to teach the new generation about magics but oh well, Friendship is Magic, the strongest kind of all (kinda) so it’s still a suitable role for her. I hope this will be not the last of Starlight because there is one last bang i need to see from her, her and Chrysalis, hope the writers dont forget that.:mlp_wat:

The candidates for the school are actually very interesting this time. We got Starlight best friend *Wink*, a strong farmer, a musician, a doctor and a gold digger. The final candidate choice is questionable but i think Starlight doesnt know much about Spoiled, i guess, that woman could product a ton of pre-season 5 Diamond Tiara. Talking about Diamond Tiara, how the hell that girl has no line since her redemption but her mom got 3 speaking role in AJ Day Off, Apple Lies and this ep? :lostit: That make no sense, what with your character treatment? Dont you see the potential of this character...

*back to the episode before i go insane*

It’s good to see background characters has more interaction with the main characters. Good fanservice but not out of place, Octavia and Dr.Hooves could be the great vice-headmare, but the plot demand Starlight best friend. *Wink* I dont know Trixie is suitable for her job or not, she’s too egotistical to listen to anyone problems but again she stand up for Gallus so she is not that bad, Starlight just give her a wrong job. Her first doing as a new student counselor is putting Phyllis to the trash can, broke Starlight heart... I dont know what i should feel about that.:bea: Sunburst is the perfect choice for the vice-headmare or headstallion, but the question is, will he move to Ponyville permanently? 

And thanks god, this is not Matter of Principals, because Trixie at least has some good quality to be in the School of Friendship...

This is a very enjoyable school-centric episode, and a very last Startrix episode. Nothing is really wrong about this ep beside Floral cruelty and repetitive WINKs. :lostit: 8/10

Bonus: i forgot to mention something. I strongly believe that Starlight really killed those flash bee. If it’s a friendly teleportation then why should they did that scene happen off-screen anyway? How Starlight quickly resort to violence when it come to save her friends is what i really like. Thanks god they put her out of 80% adventure-based story because it will be too anti-climatic. (Those goofy villains like Storm King have no chance)

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

In my opinion, the "wink" joke was funny once & then it got more & more annoying as the episode went on. 

At my first watch (only watched once) I was guessing each time she was going to do the wink by saying wink out loudly. I got an almost perfect score (not including the first wink, or the second wink, which were the "funny ones"). I did say wink one time when she didn't, lol. That makes me 1 wink more annoying than Trixie.

I agree though, it was extremely annoying after a while.

• Brohoof 2

Poll is up! 

This episode, is locked in as #10 on my All Time FiM episode list and is my favorite Starlight and Trixie episode. There was a lot of normal people problems in this one. 

• Brohoof 7

A writer that I do not remember seeing before, and well the episode is .... AWESOME! Starlight and Trixie are the cutest couple * cough*... friends in the entire show!

It's like I realize it now in a culmination after starting from neutral about their shipping to liking their episodes more and more! Oh my gosh they are soo cute. The Student Counsel was interesting mixture of adventure and comedy but in this episode the chemistry between these two was through the roof here, so good and pleasant to watch that. And that didn't require many faces like in Student Counsel, well I did say im not fan of gags overdose.

Another story comes to an end

Never thought about it but now that I do, Starlight replacing Twilight at the School of Friendship is the best and most logical decision about where Starlight would grow next in her development. So receiving the news about it, Starlight did not even look surprised much, it's like she expected it and that about her expectations is justified. Then we see the typical Starlighting? well it is lesser than Twilighting worrying how she can handle all that.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In.thumb.jpg.f799c5070f488ef7bf0f729c03f6f5c8.jpg

Trixie is so adorable in her way to expect that there can be no better match for the job than her. I love her character here. These 4 candidates made up for some interesting interactions with the rest in Ponyville.

Big Mac doing something different than the farm even if he is not the best is really nice to see such different interactions with like Ocellus and others.

Spoiled Rich (that's her right?) of course would go with her way to get  money and would teach 'business' hmm barely fitting word for the Equestrian society. 

When's the last time Octavia had so much screen time and talking. The students seem to enjoy the music but of course she's from the greatest musicians around.

And then we see Trixie as expected not handling her duties well but because Spoiled is known for her.. values, quickly loses the spot first.

There is something about Ocellus, the changelings and Octavia that really go well with music.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In2.thumb.jpg.6978246bc262a0599cfb9bc3a68775f9.jpg

Dr Who(oves) and the Yaks hah interesting interaction. But the most interesting one was 

Trixie vs Granpa Gruff

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In3.thumb.jpg.cecd84ff6e2f634d0b509b912068e9af.jpg

Watch these two (one former) antagonist go into conflict, so cool!

Silverstream's father does portray the concerned father whose daughter has to be in a quality place kind of personality. And Big Mac is not for that.

I love that place, looks really nicely made for the environment of Dr Whooves.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In4.thumb.jpg.1c20698d8857716af236cd5bf0d241ce.jpg

Hey this is the swamp from a Health of Information with the electric bees or umm whatever they were. Got to give props to the animators again, really nice effects:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In5.thumb.jpg.fe94d85eae281ace89fae5466303a3c8.jpg

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In6.thumb.jpg.130e0a82c8452443720258ba8de2cb41.jpg

The disaster was expected but we know them Trixie is able to forgive such behavior their relationship is not without tremors, but it is so good and realistic because of that energy between them!

Have we seen that already in Road to Friendship ? Trixie sticking her face like that gives me flashbacks to their wagon adventure in the desert :wau:

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In7.thumb.jpg.f3741a928ad3fc47d202235d1d69db4f.jpg

Sunburst for the vice-head-mare, he does look like one with this goat beard and glasses, you could tell what better match? And that concludes his place in  Equestria and Ponyville too woo

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se9-ep216-AHorseShoe-In8.thumb.jpg.9a7ccaa3eaa606100448d8c813841abf.jpg

What a great 5/5 or 10/10 episode, really nice continuity, doesn't need any further ending.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, ImpctR said:

A writer that I do not remember seeing before, and well the episode is .... AWESOME!

For a new writer on the show so late, I think they avoided falling into the "new writer writes old character terrible" trap
That's a relief in my book

• Brohoof 2

heh 

OCellus.thumb.jpg.998bd4be129c7287a36c30324a97645c.jpg

I must say, I quite enjoyed Ocellus' OC. :P 

The final Starlight Glimmer-centered episode is...admittedly somewhat underwhelming, to me at least. Again, the conflict involves her and Trixie with Trixie being the side of sentimentalism and Starlight being the side of pragmatism. They really stuck with this format, but even though the other two episodes that used this formula, The Road to Friendship and Student Counsel, did a good job eliciting sympathy for Trixie, I was more on Starlight’s side by far this time. At least they acknowledge that Trixie didn’t deserve the job, but she totally had that scolding coming to her. That’s not to bash Trixie, as she did, as always, have some funny lines and was beast in standing up to Grandpa Gruff. However, it’s disappointing for Starlight’s character arc to end with such a telegraphed, standard episode that really doesn’t leave me with much to say.

• Brohoof 4

Starlight episode, w00t!  Great episode to put the likely final pieces of the school's future to a close.  Good use of some characters we haven't seen much of in a while in the form of Dr. Whooves and Octavia.  Big Mac trying for the position was really interesting.  Did he plan on leaving the apple farm?  Oh no!  Didn't work out int he end though.  The moral was a good one.  Taking that one more step beyond the previous Starlight Trixie arc, when they were learning to balance work with friends, and driving into the avenue of not letting friendship cloud what needs to be done.  It can be hard to not want to put a friend of yours into a position where you two can work together, even if it doesn't fit.  I can understand Starlight exploding at Trixie, even if was her fault for not being honest from the beginning, but Starlight was hopeful it would work out.  And in the moment of putting students in danger like that, I could see where getting lost in the emotion could be explosive. 

Trixie taking over Starlight's position as guidance councilor, just as Starlight took over for Twilight's, just feels more complete to me. 

I was a little sad to not see Octavia get the position, shoved to the side as a quick sentence of putting her music ahead of a position she signed up for.  She did so well with the students, parents and the field trip.  The students liked her and she looked to be having fun.  So sad.  Having Sunburst swing in and get it was rather meh for me.  Probably wouldn't have been as bad if I saw him get tested and Octavia not perform as well as she did.

The animation, expressions and use of character was just as amazing as most of season 9.

No, Phyllis! 

Speaking of which, interesting that Queen Chrysalis, who sees Starlight as a nemesis, is attached to a log and now Starlight has a potted plant that she speaks to. 

Edited by Rising Dusk
  • Brohoof 1

what an absolute blast this episode was, i didn't dare to hope for another episode with Trixie, i thought i've seen the last of her, as far as her being the focus at least, so this was as pleasant a surprise as i could get, now all that bias aside, it really was a great (and powerful) episode ok ok i'll stop now (maybe) quite an interesting asortment of candidates, i really rooted for big mac, as it was pretty obvious that Trixie wouldn't be getting the position, and octavia actually looked like quite the fit, but in the end, Trixie saves the day and brings Sunburst to ponyville, he really was the perfect pony for the job, and now the 3 of them can rule supreme! erm... i mean. they will run the school with diligence

tbh i was surprised Discord didn't show up, considering his interest in the school in a matter of principals, it would be pretty fun to see him compete with Trixie, he'd probably be as terrible at it, but also as much fun and i for one think those two have a great chemistry that was barely toutched, no complaints though, the episode was absolutely splendid, it gets a 10/10 from me

• Brohoof 3

I thought that this was a pretty good episode.  I have always liked the friendship between Trixie and Starlight so it was nice to get another episode focusing on them together.  I wasn't expecting Spoiled Milk, Doctor Hooves, and Octavia to be in this episode, but each of them ended up being pretty entertaining.  I was especially surprised with how much I liked Spoiled Milk in this episode.  And I found the conflict in this episode to a pretty good one all things considered.  Overall I thought this was a good way to end Starlight's arc in the show.

• Brohoof 1

What a bold move to end an episode on such a dark note. Infinity War pales by comparison. Phyllis, you’ll never be forgotten.

As for the episode in general, I wanted to see something like this for a long time. However, I always imagined a nepotism episode would be about Twilight selecting somepony for a job and having to choose between one of her friends and Trixie, with Trixie being more qualified. But I’m completely satisfied with what I’ve seen nevertheless.

It was a fun episode that continued the theme of change, which is prevailing this season. It also receives bonus points from me for giving all the secondary characters a spotlight. Although Spoiled Rich having a speaking role in Season 9 and Diamond Tiara only appearing in the background seems unfair. But seeing Doctor Whooves talking about time travel (Starlight’s reaction was priceless), and Octavia and Vinyl performing together was a treat.

Finally, seeing Starlight dealing with a problem that cannot be solved with magic (or can it? wink!) was an interesting experience. I’m glad everything worked out the way it did.

• Brohoof 2