Ashen Pathfinder

A Hose Shoe-In   

68 users have voted

1. 1. Was this .... a good Pony?

• Starlight DEFCON 5 ( Hated it )
    • RIP Phylis (Not a fan)
    • Needed moar time chair! (Okay)
    • A Great and Powerful Moral (Liked it)
    • STARLIGHT WINS .... FATALITY! (Loved it!)

4 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

And Twilight almost seems to be denigrating the royal etiquette lesson, but, for example, if Twilight will have to deal with other societies like the yaks, who might get offended at improper etiquette and retaliate (in whatever way) as a result, then knowing proper etiquette would be important.

It's funny she was complaining about napkin placement, since she rather enjoyed arranging silverware back when the princesses were teaching her that skill a few seasons ago.

And I liked the nod to Starlight's old character with the origami swan napkin: She used magic to solve a problem. :)

ven when Starlight is talking to Big Mac in her office, she tells him "And if you aren't comfortable with that, vice headmare probably isn't the job for you". Is "headmare" supposed to be a gender-neutral term? Is the word "headstallion" not used? Could they not just use the terms "principal" or "headmaster"?

In my comments I simply referred to Sunburst as the new headstallion. But headmare used everywhere could be a possibility in a matriarchal society like Equestria.

But then, if Sunburst moves to Ponyville, will he be moving into the castle with Starlight? That seems like more shipping fuel.

It even has a swimming pool on the roof for those late-night romantic dips. :bedeyes: And like you said, they both get the entire castle to themselves. Presuming, of course, that Starlight can ever figure out her way around the place. :laugh:

• Brohoof 3

About this last episode "Horse Shoe In". I noticed the Mane 5 are still teaching at the school in background shots when I rewatched it today so maybe they will still teach at School Of Friendship after Twilight moves to Canterlot. I really hope that is the case because I do like the idea of the Mane 5 remaining as "professors" while Twilight is ruling. Especially since we don't see Starlight hiring brand new teachers, this would make sense. I'm surprised Maude wasn't anywhere in the episode however. 

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

To start off, I'll just talk a bit about the qualifications and fitness for candidates to help run or teach at the School of Friendship. I've said before that I don't think any of the Mane Eight are particularly qualified to be running a school, and that's been shown in the haphazard, and sometimes downright dangerous, way that the School of Friendship has been run so far. So Equestria seems to have different standards for qualification and fitness for a job like that, as compared to what we would probably have.

Remember Twilight threw out the EEA guildelines for her school and one of the reason accreditation was initially refused was the irresponsible teachers weren't suitable. In fact it was actually the first reason Neighsay gave Twilight for not meeting the standards.

The science, music, history lessons actually seemed a little odd to me as the school previously only taught these things as a means of learning friendship not normal classroom lessons like Cherilee does. That is you use science to X a friend but not X a problem if you see the difference. In fact Trixie could have probably made a case that she was teaching a friendship lesson on sleepovers and the activities therein.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Senko said:

Remember Twilight threw out the EEA guildelines for her school and one of the reason accreditation was initially refused was the irresponsible teachers weren't suitable. In fact it was actually the first reason Neighsay gave Twilight for not meeting the standards.

The science, music, history lessons actually seemed a little odd to me as the school previously only taught these things as a means of learning friendship not normal classroom lessons like Cherilee does. That is you use science to X a friend but not X a problem if you see the difference. In fact Trixie could have probably made a case that she was teaching a friendship lesson on sleepovers and the activities therein.

People always seem to misunderstand this. Who decides whether someone is qualified for a job? Someone who gives out acreditation. Who gives them the authority to give out acreditation? The ruling government of the country.

Twilight IS that. The alicorns quite literally are the law. Celestia puts restrictions on herself, but School Daze makes it clear that Twi can do whatever she wants because she makes the rules. If she thinks someone is qualified, they are by the authority of the country.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

People always seem to misunderstand this. Who decides whether someone is qualified for a job? Someone who gives out acreditation. Who gives them the authority to give out acreditation? The ruling government of the country.

Twilight IS that. The alicorns quite literally are the law. Celestia puts restrictions on herself, but School Daze makes it clear that Twi can do whatever she wants because she makes the rules. If she thinks someone is qualified, they are by the authority of the country.

Oh I know, I noted this back when she made Rockhoof official story keeper that she was growing much willing to use absolute power to achieve her goals. I was referring to the fact that Twilight has personally decided to create something new and define the rules for that which is not the same situation as what Equestria uses to determine its teacher qualifications. This is not a case as Music Chart Fan said of Equestria having different standards for qualification and fitness for a job like that, as compared to what we would probably have. What it is is a case of an absolute ruler creating their own rules and requirements for something new and previously unknown by herself. It may work and probably will become the standard in the future if it works out (which it would have a better chance of if the writers hadn't decided to have Celestia and Luna suddenly and inexplicably retire and hand over even their cutie mark responsabilities to her) but it isn't the same as Equestrian standard as shown by the fact that the body which is responsible for accrediting schools determined her teaching choices (friends) to be unsuitable. Similarly its important to note that Celestia mentioned even she had to listen to the EEA and Twilight got round this not by overuling them directly but by moving her school out of their juridstiction by declaring it a place for learning friendship not for learning classroom lessons. Hence why the crusaders are still attending Cherilee's school though they'd much rather go to hers.

I enjoyed this episode immensely. I imagined it being very similar to Student Counsel in some regard, but it managed to pleasantly surprise me. I liked how the episode unfolded, though I'll admit that Trixie did make some very questionable decisions - I couldn't blame her for some of her actions though. I can't really blame Starlight either, as the scenario she threw herself in would've been quite difficult for many to handle. I did like the inclusion of the other candidates for Vice Headmare, as it certainly gave them some interesting development - particularly the characters who haven't had speaking roles in a long time. Sunburst getting the position? I won't lie that I saw that coming, but I'll admit that Trixie  certainly earnt her new role as counselor.

I liked this one. It was satisfying seeing Starlight Glimmer finally tell Trixie off. It’s not because I dislike Trixie but because what was said to her was true. I knew that Starlight Glimmer was going to choose her in the end, though. I saw it coming a mile away lol.

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent episode featuring Starlight's new job as a headmare! I found the 'wink' jokes by Trixie to be cute, along with many others. :ooh:

I see some controversy regarding Twilight hiring Starlight at the job without any form of verification, which is quite interesting as it's something I hadn't given any thought about. Her actions do seemingly contradict the moral of the episode, but I think there's something more to the situation. Unlike Trixie, Starlight has worked with Twilight for years, proving her ability as a counselor and a temporary headmaster. All those years counted as a certificate to skip the process. This also lies in line with how Sunburst could get his job as a vice headmaster right away unlike the others.

Hiring for a new vice headmare at the School of Friendship was not an easy task for them, so I will say that Starlight Glimmer will have to think carefully for those vice headmare candidates. That's when it was a complete mess in the classroom, Twilight Sparkle fixed the damage magically as much to Trixie's dismay to Starlight's dismay outcomes. Right at the conclusion, Starlight Glimmer (along with Sunburst) formally offers Trixie to be provided as a new student counselor at the School of Friendship. That's when Trixie threw her plant Phyllis in the garbage can for office re-decorations, she cried out for Phyllis :(, and I will say that's funny for that part! :laugh: You know what? I will say this is a great episode! I will thank them for making appearances of Octavia, DJ-P0N3, and Dr. Hooves in this episode! :D

When I saw Spoiled Rich again in this episode, I say "Spoiled Rich? No way! Why she's here for?:o

• Brohoof 2

Well, first off, I gotta say... stupid no Dish for months.. and then stupid Dish on Demand for not showing me the other 8! episodes that I also missed... *sigh* seriously, I just watched the final episode and part of me wants to go back and watch those last 8 but with how it ended *sigh* I rather not...

But anyways, this was a pretty good episode and I'm glad they went the route of picking a different Vice Headmare for the job instead of pulling a 'well, you messed up but really you're still good for the job" and just got Trixy another job that did fit her better... so yeah.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

Throughout Season 7, confidence exuded out of her, showing more comfort in her opinions and ideals once again

I think some of that was a facade though; her panic at the thought of Twi finding out she had lost the table, and her nightmare in Royal Problem shows her insecurity was still pretty close to the surface in S7. I did like her "tough love" at the start of S8 though, when she bats the rulebook into the moat :)

• 4 weeks later...

Note: the episode has just been released in my country.

I really loved this episode! It is one of the few that I enjoyed this season. I love the relationship of Starlight and Trixie, they have a very good chemistry and are very close. :pinkie: Actually Trixie's winks didn't annoying me. But I would've liked to see a little more of Sunburst

The only thing I noticed and didn't like is Twilight, she has never said what she really wants. She never had her goals or dreams? I never liked Twilight, but I'm pretty sure she would love to be a magic teacher, librarian and everything related, but Celestia always makes the decisions for her, the only time she did it was when she opened Friendship School, but now she must leave it because she must do something that she was not even asked if she really wanted to do.  :glimmer:

Anyway. I am very very proud of the beautiful Glimmy and all her achievements, certainly one of the best ponies (well, for me, the best, but those are details) :laugh:

Spoiler

81788806_image1(462).thumb.png.9141d78b64e96f77e29fc0c184fc0ec2.png 

I always knew that Starlight liked plants!

Edited by Jane
missing a ''s''

• 1 year later...

I loved the Episode, definitely one of my Favs, i am always up for more Trixie Lulamoon! :fluttershy:

Spoiler

I am also very happy that she managed to get a Job in the school of Friendship, she really developed well in the Show.

• 1 year later...
On 2019-09-20 at 4:29 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

Throughout this episode, the job that Starlight is looking to fill is always referred to as "vice headmare", even when speaking to male candidates. Even when Starlight is talking to Big Mac in her office, she tells him "And if you aren't comfortable with that, vice headmare probably isn't the job for you". Is "headmare" supposed to be a gender-neutral term? Is the word "headstallion" not used? Could they not just use the terms "principal" or "headmaster"?

Neighsay does refer to himself as the new headstallion in “School Raze”.