Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Little Snowdrop

So this is the first time I ever drew a MLP character. I tried to kinda find my own style but also mix in some details with the show's artstyle (like the light spots in the eyes). What do you think?

I actually just started to ink pictures a few month ago, I always only did sketches before, so this whole thing is kinda new to me. So I'll appreciate any tips or hints you can give, not only about how to draw MLP chars but also about how to ink and color pictures in general. 

Spoiler

More Info about the Character:

This is the original form of Steampunk Gear, one of my two OCs. He grew up at a farm but never actually got his CM until adulthood when he started tinkering around with some stuff and invented a few machines.

He met Floating Matter, my 2nd OC, later and with her help created some mechanical wings. I plan on drawing FM as well as SG's winged form the following days.

938747771_SGOriginal.thumb.png.74b8447fafddc8c686a178073ac6bc61.png

(also I just realized I forgot the shadow on the tail... oops :laugh: )

Edited by Little Snowdrop
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, @Little Snowdrop This is really good! 

The only tip I have is to make the arch of it's back slightly lower, so it doesn't look off put.

Here, let me use a drawing a friend of mine made for me, so hopefully you get what I am talking about.

939737574_imageproxy(1).png.01ddcf198c41bb3ce04bff43268d13ec.png

See how the back is curved down the slightest bit? I don't know if I'm being much help, but if you need anything else, you are more than welcome to contact me.

Although if I am being honest, I feel like @Splashee (my amazing friend who made this drawing for me) would give much better tips than I ever would.

Hope I was helpful, and good luck!

• Brohoof 1

@Little Snowdrop Really good looking OC there! Really cool eye shading and highlights!

Inking is hard. I think you have done a great job!

As for feedback, I have none! Simply everything you drew could be considered your own style, and it works! If you want more of the show's style, there is just a couple of tweaks here and there. But as an artist, you have the freedom to keep your OC just the way you drew it. If you have time and like to draw, draw more and post it at this forum! I want to see more! :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Well, overall, your knowledge of light mechanics are pretty good seeing it applied as how you shade your character. 

Though I've identified a few unpainted areas on your character, mainly on the mane and tail. (But who cares anyway, nobody actually zooms into those)

q.thumb.PNG.6a452f2149329b43b9c0071e6f836dce.PNG

But, great job on the overall design, (especially the shading, big fan.)