Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is fall like?

CastletonSnob

I live in south-western Ontario up here in Canada.  The fall tends to get really windy here, so does spring, it's kinda like summer's humidity is being blown away lol.  I live somewhere where there's lots of farmland and not enough trees to buffer the wind so some days there can be wind advisories where the wind might be strong enough to blow you off your feet it you're not careful.  Leaves change colour and fall.  Apples are in season so you see crates of apples at the grocery stores around here, it helps that there's a local orchard about 40 minutes away, the lady that owns it is pretty nice.  There's more rain in the fall around here but I don't complain since that's my favourite weather.  Soup is also perfect for this time of year since all sorts of hardy veggies are in season around this time of year.

My mom used to take my brother and myself to an apple cider place in Michigan, they had the best cider and doughnuts, sometimes people would feed ducks with the doughnuts and there were always bees around because of all the kids spilling apple cider and the bees would be attracted to the sweet juice.  They weren't a big problem but there'd always be some bees flying around the little courtyard the apple cider place had.  Sometimes if you go to an outdoor market place, you'll see a person with this HUGE cauldron making batches of hot apple cider, which I suggest more people have hot apple cider it's so good!!!

On some plots of land, you'll see people harvesting brussel sprouts.  They tend to leave the stalks on the ground while keeping the bulb so at some point around the late fall early winter, you'll drive through these patches of what smells like rotting food but apparently it's good for the soil to let them rot.  You'll also see trucks taking tomatoes out of town, there're these huge trucks with two open trailers full of tomatoes.

I really like the crunch of fallen leaves on the sidewalk, there's a lot of elderly people in town so you often see lawn care people raking leaves and at some point they'll stop mowing the grass because the grass stops growing in preparation for winter.  There's this old wives tale that you can tell how severe winter is going to be by counting the pine cones at the top of the pine tree, I guess it's right sometimes... 

Sorry for rambling a bit but I hope it made some sense?  That's how fall is for me... :-D

In Western Washington the sun stays but the rains return, bringing everything back to life while simultaneously all of the deciduous trees start to turn bright red and yellow. The dry lawns recover and there's a nice last batch of fruits and vegetables. The rain falls more and more often, and the days turn to grey. Leaves pile up on the ground and the air gets colder. Soon all that's left are the green pines and oaks whose brown leaves will hang on until spring when the new ones finally push them out. The mornings will become calm and quiet as a layer of fog rolls in overnight, but then stronger winds will pass through and blow it away along with all of the clouds. With nothing to keep the heat in, frost covers every surface, and there's no turning back. Winter is coming and world is already dead. Frankly I love it.

I experienced my first little bit of Fall in Eastern Washington this past week. The rain also made it's way over but most of it was held back by the Cascade Mountain Range. All the dry dead material from over the summer had added up and a general stench of decay filled the air overnight. The summer heat wasn't done with us quite yet, for the mornings may have been cold, once the sun was up, it would climb into the 90s, but with the added humidity it just became muggy.

I live in Florida, so, I don’t get to experience much of a Fall really. I do remember what Fall is like when I used to live in Illinois though. Basically just your typical changing and falling leaves, crisp chilly air, outdoor colors all around are mixes of brown, orange, and red. I don’t remember much else cause, well, I haven’t lived there in over ten years heh.

I'm in New York, so the fall comes here a bit early. Though it usually happens around September-November. The leaves change colors, the air gets noticeably cooler, and it a lot of the times it can be overcast depending on the day. Sometimes bits of snow can fall and or frost appears on the grass.

Fall for me is the best season. It’s not too cold nor hot. I can’t really explain it but it always makes me feel relaxed especially if you have spices and pumpkins scented laying about. Leaves falls and that tell you that Halloween and thanksgiving is around the corner. Overall it’s just a great season.

Autumn can range between being warm and cold, though it usually sticks somewhere in the middle. Aside from that, it's often quite a scenic time of year. Leaves are falling and change colour. It's quite beautiful actually.

In New York City, the temperature begins to break just before the Autumn Equinox, usually early September.

1. In the beginning, there’s plenty of risk for sunburn, but once it crosses into October, it really cools down. Come November, the temperature’s regularly in the 60s or 50s, so it’s time to grab an autumn coat.
  2. Sundown becomes noticeably early. Now sunset is around 7pm, and it will only drop closer to 6 as you creep towards Halloween. When Daylight Savings time ends in November, you really see the days turn dark early, sometimes to 4:30 when the Winter Solstice arrives.
  3. Leaves begin to turn around the Equinox. Right now, I’m seeing a spattering of yellow leaves hanging in the trees. The color will change for others, ranging from red to orange. They tend to stop around Thanksgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fall is my all time favorite season. The autumn here in germany can be really diverse. In september, we have usually warm and sunny weather with a lot of morning dew and slight fog in the air. Typical is that the dew lies on the spider webs on the meadow which looks really interesting. These time is called Altweibersommer. The trees are often green or have slightly colors. In october, we often also have warm (bu not so warm as september) and sunny weather and because of the colorfull trees, these time is called goldener Oktober (golden october because of the leaves who have often golden colors). It is btw. my favorite part of the autumn because it is warm but not hot and everything looks amazing. It is similar to the indian summer. In november  (and early december), most of the leaves are fallen down and we often get fog and also usually the first frost and snow. But it can also be really stormy and rainy in the german autumn (like currently). The heaviest storms are usually in the time of autumn/winter here in middle europe.