Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology My PC won’t let me troubleshoot, it just breaks more.

ExplosionMare

I’ve tried to free up space, I’ve tried making a system restart, I’ve tried troubleshooting, and the computer still crashes and overall doesn’t work. Updates never install despite actually having just enough space left and troubleshooting hurts the computer more than it helps it.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this before, please feel free to share. I’m sorry that I’ve made 1 or 2 computer forums already, but I’m running out of things to try.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

What's your computer specs?
What operating system?

Crashes in what way?

I don’t remember those two things but here’s how it crashes:

- Games mostly lag, which I can handle, but can crash out of nowhere. The computer used to make noises letting me know when it would crash (which was usually just a charger thing) but now it gives me no logic or reason

- Updates fail to install and SOMETIMES crash if they’re loading for too long. Troubleshooting always crashes cause the computer refuses to do anything despite having a reasonable amount of space

- Sometimes there are little glitch like pixels on the screen and sometimes if I highlight the desktop that area becomes black. Today the computer fazed in and out of crashing and did the pixel thing, which is new.

(I hope that explains it)

• Brohoof 1

Just now, ExplosionMare said:

Games mostly lag, which I can handle, but can crash out of nowhere.

The gamecrashes to desktop or do you get a blue screen?

Do the crashes get more frequent after the PC has been turned on a while? For example, are the crashes more frequent after you reboot the PC compared to when you first turn it on after it being off for a few hours? 

• Brohoof 1

So if I understand correctly you have a laptop? (You mentioned a charger) You have Windows as your operating system?

We're going to need a few system specs before we can give more specific advice.

Just in case: Have you run a full anti-virus and malware scan on your computer?

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

The gamecrashes to desktop or do you get a blue screen?

Do the crashes get more frequent after the PC has been turned on a while? For example, are the crashes more frequent after you reboot the PC compared to when you first turn it on after it being off for a few hours? 

I can only stay on something for a couple of minutes at the time on average. I got lucky yesterday and was able to play a game for 20 minutes.

The screen itself isn’t blue, it’s usually black as if it’s turning off. It stays like that until I reset it.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

- Games mostly lag, which I can handle, but can crash out of nowhere. The computer used to make noises letting me know when it would crash (which was usually just a charger thing) but now it gives me no logic or reason

- Updates fail to install and SOMETIMES crash if they’re loading for too long. Troubleshooting always crashes cause the computer refuses to do anything despite having a reasonable amount of space

- Sometimes there are little glitch like pixels on the screen and sometimes if I highlight the desktop that area becomes black. Today the computer fazed in and out of crashing and did the pixel thing, which is new.

Sorry to say this but we honestly need more information if we are to help you. This includes your computer specifications and what you have done before the problem started happening.

From what I'm thinking already though, it might be a faulty graphics card or your graphics driver may somehow be corrupt.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, JH24 said:

So if I understand correctly you have a laptop? (You mentioned a charger) You have Windows as your operating system?

We're going to need a few system specs before we can give more specific advice.

Just in case: Have you run a full anti-virus and malware scan on your computer?

Yes, I just recently ran an antivirus. I have one little feature turned off but that’s not the problem, it only prevents all day scanning (I can’t play my games if it’s on).

As for specifics, what exactly do you need? I don’t wanna give out anything crazy cause, you know, this isn’t tech support. If you’re asking for stuff relating to the brand and all that I could give you that.

@TheTaZe What info do you need? 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

@TheTaZe What info do you need?

I assume you are running Windows. You could provide us with something like running dxdiag.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Yes, I just recently ran an antivirus. I have one little feature turned off but that’s not the problem, it only prevents all day scanning (I can’t play my games if it’s on).

As for specifics, what exactly do you need? I don’t wanna give out anything crazy cause, you know, this isn’t tech support. If you’re asking for stuff relating to the brand and all that I could give you that.

Some specs like Windows version (XP, 7, 8 or 10), processor, RAM and graphics card would be informative.

But I have to agree with Taze, it sounds a bit like it has to do with the graphics card. About 10 years ago I had similar issues with my old computer. Games would crash within 20 minutes and then the desktop screen started to show glitches.

Edited by JH24

3 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

What’s “dxdiag”? Sorry, I’m not good with the super technical stuff.

dxdiag is Direct X Diagnostics. Should show some information about your computer. Mostly the display tabs though since I'm thinking it might be a display issue.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, JH24 said:

Some specs like Windows version (XP, 7, 8 or 10), processor, RAM and graphics card would be informative.

But I have to agree with Taze, it sounds a bit like it has to do with the graphics card. About 10 years ago I had similar issues with my old computer. Games would crash within 20 minutes and then the desktop screen started to show glitches.

All I know right now is that I’m using Windows 10. My laptop is an HP so I can’t physically take the RAM and graphics card out to replace it, but I could try to find info on it.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

The screen itself isn’t blue, it’s usually black as if it’s turning off. It stays like that until I reset it.

At first glance it looks like a driver problem, but  could also be a bad connection, either to the display (bad cable) or the graphics chip (those are known to desolder themselves from the motherboard.

Try rebooting the laptop and go to the BIOS setup (the way to do that is different for each device, but usually you need to repeatedly press F1, F2, DEL or some other key immediately after turning the power on - if you see Windows boot screen, you are too late).

Leave the computer in that screen for a while, observe what happens:

If nothing happens (the display remains OK and the system keeps working for, say, 30 minutes)

Spoiler

• boot Windows in Safe Mode (Instructions). Keep it at that for a while and see if it crashes now.
  • If it doesn't, then it is most likely a driver problem, you will need to use something like "Display Driver Uninstaller" to remove the current driver and then you will have to install a new one normally.
  • If it crashes anyway, your Windows installation may be messed up and you may need to reinstall Windows.

If the display fails as before:

Spoiler

Connect an external monitor/TV and check if it works OK now

• If it does, then the cable from the motherboard to the display is most likely bad, you will need to get that replaced.
  • If it fails just the same with an external monitor, then the graphics chip may have desoldered itself from the motherboard, you will need to take the computer somewhere where they can resolder it.

If anything is unclear, please say so and I will explain.

Edited by Pentium100

2 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

All I know right now is that I’m using Windows 10. My laptop is an HP so I can’t physically take the RAM and graphics card out to replace it, but I could try to find info on it.

I'm guessing you have some sort of office laptop. Those don't have physical cards since it's most likely integrated graphics which is on the motherboard itself.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

I'm guessing you have some sort of office laptop. Those don't have physical cards since it's most likely integrated graphics which is on the motherboard itself.

The only words I’ve seen on the bottom of the computer is the model #. Is there a way in the settings I could check the graphics card?

12 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

At first glance it looks like a driver problem, but  could also be a bad connection, either to the display (bad cable) or the graphics chip (those are known to desolder themselves from the motherboard.

Try rebooting the laptop and go to the BIOS setup (the way to do that is different for each device, but usually you need to repeatedly press F1, F2, DEL or some other key immediately after turning the power on - if you see Windows boot screen, you are too late).

Leave the computer in that screen for a while, observe what happens:

If nothing happens (the display remains OK and the system keeps working for, say, 30 minutes)

Reveal hidden contents

• boot Windows in Safe Mode (Instructions). Keep it at that for a while and see if it crashes now.
  • If it doesn't, then it is most likely a driver problem, you will need to use something like "Display Driver Uninstaller" to remove the current driver and then you will have to install a new one normally.
  • If it crashes anyway, your Windows installation may be messed up and you may need to reinstall Windows.

If the display fails as before:

Reveal hidden contents

Connect an external monitor/TV and check if it works OK now

• If it does, then the cable from the motherboard to the display is most likely bad, you will need to get that replaced.
  • If it fails just the same with an external monitor, then the graphics chip may have desoldered itself from the motherboard, you will need to take the computer somewhere where they can resolder it.

If anything is unclear, please say so and I will explain.

Thanks, I’ll take a lot at this! 

• Brohoof 1

On 9/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, ExplosionMare said:

I just predict that if you reinstall the computer (doing a factory reset thing, either recovery CD, or a hidden boot menu thing, your manual will tell you how to do it), you will first have a working computer for a while, but then it will start acting up again. I have seen this so many times before.

There are many things that can destroy a computer, either it be a lightning strike (not directly, but an over voltage spike from a nearby lightning strike), or just a lot of dust in the system (rare to cause damage) or a hot environment in general (could melt things). Dust may clog the fans to your CPU and graphics card, then overheat will melt the components (again, quite rare).
When a component starts failing, you see random crashes. Some broken parts you can live with, or learn to live with. But your crashes seem to be affected by graphics performance. My guess is your graphics card has gotten some trouble, or your RAM (if you graphics card is built in, it may use the system RAM). Either way, you can try to find your problem by replacing one component at a time, or you can start saving up for a new computer (both cost money, one is more annoying and might not solve the problem).

If your problems looked less random, and more like appearing in an annoying fashion, like they know exactly when to happen (like advertising or popups on the internet), then they could be causes of a virus or spyware, or even a rootkit. You get those by installing programs that you have downloaded from the internet (usually illegal software). Some antivirus programs don't detect the same viruses, so trying different ones are good practice.

Either way, when you have a computer, new, or old but in a good state (working every day). Keep it clean and cool, allow it to breathe, and don't download programs from the internet (unless you must, then there is emulators you can run the programs or games in, so that viruses can't harm your actual real computer environment).

4 hours ago, The Historian said:

Based on the symptoms, it sounds like you might have a bad stick of RAM and possibly have a problem with the graphics adapter, display or inverter board.

What laptop make and model do you have?

It’s a white HP

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

It’s a white HP

There may be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or under the battery specifying the model number. Something like "EliteBook 8460p" or similar. HP has made many different laptops (I have one that has a 486 CPU and 16MB RAM in it) and those laptops are different from each other, including what their common problems are.

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

Okay, now I've got the make but not the model. It should be on the bottom somewhere, or even on the keyboard fascia.

Quick question, what would giving you the model # actually do? (Sorry, I’m paranoid about computer info stuff)

• Brohoof 1

Since everyone has asked for the model #, here it is (hopefully this is right):

14-ax027cl (I couldn’t tell if the O was a 0 or not, so it’s one of those)

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

@ExplosionMare When you bought the laptop, what was it's model name? (You can find that somewhere, can't you?)
We are not asking for some secret serial number here, just the model name so we can help you.

• Brohoof 1