Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a good reason Rainbow Dash isn't a Wonderbolt yet?

Midnight Breeze

I think the reason is because, no matter what she says, she'd rather be with her friends. She represents loyalty to her friends and if she were to just up and leave them for the Wonderbolts, their hearts would break (even though they'd understand why). She couldn't do that to them.

In my humble opinion, I think the only reason she isn't is because she hasn't asked to join yet. I am certain that they would be more than willing to have her on the team and that all Dash would have to do is ask.

THAT WE HAVE FREE MUFFINS FOR EVERYPONY!!!!!!!!!! :D

lolwut? xD

(edited)

rainbow dash is secretly a shadowbolt. spitfire, holding a respectable position in equestrias royal guard (even if it is only demonstration) knows this, and keeps her out of the wonderbolts becuase she has more important thing to do like reconnaissance over the everfree forest.

it actually makes scence. as proven rainbow dash is a far better flier then all the wonderbolts, where would you rather have equestrias best flier, impressing upper class citizens in canterlot or doing work controlling and monitoring equestrias most unstable area.

Edited by jarrod989

I think politics are also involved a bit. (thanks to a certain fanfiction that actually went into highly technical detail as to WHY exactly Rainbow Dash could not join the Wonderbolts)

The Wonderbolts appear to be at least a honorary part of the Equestrian Military, but they are Military nonetheless. And the Wonderbolts seem to be much more mature and experienced than Rainbow Dash by at least a few years. While Rainbow Dash definitely demonstrates raw talent that even exceeds that of their standard requirements, Rainbow Dash's position makes it difficult to join. First, she is too young. Making such a young pegasus a member, even if she is talented, is risky for their public image. Younger members tend to get in trouble more often, and the Wonderbolts probably have done research on Rainbow Dash as a potential future member, and saw her hotheaded personality and laid back stubbornness to be a potential wedge in the team. (She would be more likely to refuse an order, or for the sake of her friends, spilt from the Wonderbolts to do her own thing. For both fighting and air shows, teamwork is key, and RD might not have her heart fully into the team at such a young age. Joining is one thing, becoming a part of the team is another entirely.)

Second, she has connections with Celestia, and bears an Element of Harmony herself. While Celestia may or may not be influential in the choosing of a Wonderbolt, a lot of ponies, especially those in the higher parts of society, would be outraged and think that Celestia may be picking favorites or that RD got in only because of her connections and not the hard way. Other professional flyers also might think that RD cheated her way in, and thus chaos in the pegasi sports community would rage on for years.

Of course, this is purely speculation, and is way past the overthinking line. It may be something simple like she is too young. . . But you never know. . . ;)

• 1 year later...

Look, I want Rainbow Dash to a wonderbolt just as much as the next guy.

And you do make some good points.

One being that she is the only one that can do a sonic rainboom.(Wich is when you fly so fast you break the sound barrier. Wich is about 761 MPH.)

But she will not become one until she learns these basic things.

1:that being a wonderbolt means that you are not only the best flyer in all of equstria. But you are willing to risk your life to save somepony elses.

2:She also has to learn to be less prideful.

3:She has to mature more. She also has to be just a bit more older.

And finally, just because shes the greatest flyer, doesn't mean shes the best leader.

Because thats what a captin is. A leader. Rainbow dash may be a good coach but spitfire is a pony with way more experience.

so any way, This is what rainbow dash will have to do to become a wonderbolt.

Oh! Wait! That's right! She already technically is one! Shes a wonderbolt recruit. What were basically wondering is, when is she going to be a privet.

But like I said, To be an official wonderbolt she has to do these things. 

The exact same reason the Cutie Mark Crusaders haven't got their cutie marks, Fluttershy hasn't overcame social anxiety and Spike isn't in a stable relationship with Rarity - plot.

RainbowDash needs way more time to mature and grow. Also, the show doesn't want her to be one yet because then she probably wouldn't have any more real goals.

If it's true that the Wonderbolts are akin to a military branch, then Rainbow Dash not being one yet is probably out of narrative convenience.  If they made her a full Wonderbolt, her duties would weigh heavily against her time with her friends.  This is also known as the Sailor Moon Dilemma, as the characters start to weigh their personal lives against their duties.  So it's not an easy issue.

I think there are a ton of really good responses to the question in this thread, and personally, I would love to see RD become a Wonderbolt at some point, in the same way that I would love to see Rarity achieve her dreams as a designer. It would be hard to work into the narrative as it is currently, but with things slowly progressing in the "Princess Twilight Arc", I could see it happening in a couple of seasons or so, and I would love to see the writers handle these changes in the dynamic of the mane six :D

And to everyone saying "it's just for the plot/a plot hole/a kid's show so don't question it": you are all being terribly uncreative :P

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKFKKTYhoY[/media]

Will refrain from even dwelling into that territory, as you do dislike her and you're entitled to your opinion, and I don't see the reason in trying to convince you otherwise when it's not what this thread is about <3

Anyway, I agree, also, with what This Day Aria said. In the grand scheme, it is looked at as a 'kids looking to the future and dreaming of something they want to be' type of thing. That's why even if an episode like what I mentioned occurred, she would never stay in the Wonderbolts for the rest of the series. She'd either leave of her own choice, the more likely scenario, or some other event occurs that forces her to quit.

I keep hearing people say that she would leave just so she could be with her friends etc. But why? Think about it, wouldn't that sort of send the wrong message to kids? "Don't go to college or join the military just because you would be separated from you family and friends" sorta thing, I honestly think that would be a bit weak in terms of writing.

Also, what event do you think would happen to cause her to quite in the first place? Perhaps start up her own flying team of some sort, or maybe find out that the Wonderbolts aren't all they are cracked up to be?

In any case it should be interesting to see how the show handles the issue, and me personally think that if she manages to join the Wonderbolts she should stay with them unless she has a VERY good reason not to. After all, her special talent is flying after all. So then what would she do if she didn't have some way to vent that urge for speed.

I think that regardless of what she does she will still end up doing something in regards to flying (other than working for the weather team), where she can really show off her talent to everypony.

The Wonderbolts probably want her with them, but they want to see if she can prove herself through some rigorous tests before she can actually join them.

She's honestly better then all of them. She's her own wonderbolts.

I concur with this post...........just here sense of motivation and determination proves that she's way better than them, to a point that she is her own Wonderbolt.  I applaud your response.

*forgive me if its late*

Now hear this: The Elements of Harmony: An Official Reference guide actually calls Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt. We really need an episode about this though.

(edited)

From a meta perspective, this creates a conflict of interest. You have such a great character and a goal she's been working towards her whole life, which is great from a story perspective. An episode that would ship her off to the Wonderbolts would make perfect sense storywise, similar to how Chuck Lorre sent Wolowitz to NASA in "The Big Bang Theory" and Jake to the Army in "Two and a Half Men". It would be great for it to be a temporary, but relatively long-term change to the show's status quo, seeing as how in real life teams like the Blue Angels change their lineups almost annually.

On the other hand, Rainbow Dash is one of the most popular and marketable characters on the show. Cutting her from the rest of the mane cast would simply be PR suicide. Changing Twilight and her (perceived) social status back in season 3 was one thing but sending a mane character away is where the line would be drawn. It would affect the show's dynamic too much (which may also be why Twilight's status was rarely mentioned this season) and it's a risk no one in charge of this show would want to take.

I think that the upcoming episode dealing with the "Wonderbolts Reserve" as basically a compromise between keeping her on board and shipping her off permanently or for a set term may actually work out for the time being, but Rainbow Dash becoming a full-time Wonderbolt may best be left for when the show nears its end. She nearly became one in "Wonderbolts Academy", and with it coming so close to Twilight's ascension, lends more credence to the theory that season 3 was written with the intention to be the final season in case Hasbro was not willing to continue, especially with the revelation that the ending of the episode was subject to a few rewrites.

In-universe, I will say that a team of prestige such as the Wonderbolts requires years of demonstrated flying experience, dedication, and character, and I think they might be holding off purely on the "character" part. It makes sense to us, the writers, and the other characters.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus

• 5 years later...
On 6/2/2012 at 8:29 AM, ~C. Discord~ said:

In the grand scheme, it is looked at as a 'kids looking to the future and dreaming of something they want to be' type of thing. That's why even if an episode like what I mentioned occurred, she would never stay in the Wonderbolts for the rest of the series. She'd either leave of her own choice, the more likely scenario, or some other event occurs that forces her to quit.

Some things are strange to read, lol. Though I don't know if I'd have disagreed, back then..

She needed to grow, but they needed to grow too. 

Edited by Latecomer