Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cozy Glow: The one unexplained villain

MovieLord101

4 hours ago, Latecomer said:

It's not that bad. Cozy's worldview is one of stable world under her rule. (of course, her methods would destroy it in the process - but smart as she is, she is just a kid.)

Yeah it's weird. The way she talked about ruling it seemed like she saw herself as a benevolent dictator. She seemed to think everyone would genuinely be happy with her at the helm. But she was nearsighted enough to not realize that taking the magic away would result in a widespread famine and apocalyptic weather.

Cozy could have been a pretty cool angle if they took it further. She was like a "religious extremist" resulting from the "dogma" of friendship as it's established in the show. "Friendship is Magic" got distorted into "Friendship is Power" and she ran amok with it. That she arrived at that conclusion really isn't that strange. It feels like something that logically had to happen sooner or later.

As of Season 9 though, I really have no idea what she's expecting to get out of a victory.

• Brohoof 2

Did some research after Eli Stone's Season 8 review on Vimeo. After checking Lauren Faust's IMDB, I have to wonder......was the team at DHX just trying to make Cozy as a ponified Darla Dimple from "Cats Don't Dance" but forgot to give a motive in the process? Lauren was an animator on that movie and the two characters look VERY alike. However, Darla HAD a motive, a simple one but a motive regardless: she was a spoiled brat who lorded her fame over everyone and did bad things to anyone who threatened her fame. Simple, but effective. Cozy Glow doesn't even have THAT.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I don't get her either. It would have been simpler to make her a monster disguised as a pony. Sure, you would argue this would ruin the plot point in School Raze where Neighsay realizes he's been unfair to the non-pony students, but I think the Student 6 rescuing him would change his mind about non-ponies, anyway.

37 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Yeah, I don't get her either. It would have been simpler to make her a monster disguised as a pony. Sure, you would argue this would ruin the plot point in School Raze where Neighsay realizes he's been unfair to the non-pony students, but I think the Student 6 rescuing him would change his mind about non-ponies, anyway.

I thought for sure she was Chrysalis the entire season, until it turned out that Tirek had put her up to it.

Cozy Glow is somewhat of an enigma. We really haven't had many details regarding her desires, aside from perhaps a few vague moments. While this mysterious nature can make her more of an interesting character to some, I feel that it also leaves a lot to be desired.  

On 10/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, BornAgainBrony said:

I thought for sure she was Chrysalis the entire season, until it turned out that Tirek had put her up to it.

I always thought it would've been really weird to reveal that she was Chrysalis. At least after the Mean 6 aired. Why would Chrysalis be going on unhinged, desperate rants in the middle of the woods if she already had a stable undercover identity at the school? Why would she be unable to hide her contempt for Starlight in her photographer disguise when Cozy didn't seem to have any problems conversing with Starlight at all? Why did she even need the photographer disguise? Surely she could've asked for photos as Cozy, saying "I just wanted some pictures of my FAVOURITE teachers." or something..

And as has been pointed out, it undermines the plot of Season 8

12 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I see a lot of similarities between crazy glow's meglomania and pre-reformation Sunset though.

The big difference though is we're given Sunset's backstory. There's a lot more information available to speculate about why she is the way she is.

4 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

The big difference though is we're given Sunset's backstory. There's a lot more information available to speculate about why she is the way she is.

Well, sorta. We know she was a spoiled brat when she was 'tia's student, and basically a diamond tiara type character once in the EqG world - but we have only glimpses of that, and no real reason why she became like that (contrast with, say, GlimGlam, where we get to see in detail why she went off the rails)

• 5 months later...

Hate to dig up an old thread, but now that I've mulled things over, I think the writing staff really didn't put a lot of thought behind Cozy Glow as a character. They just wanted an evil kid villain that was a nod to Lauren Faust's old work and didn't want to be bothered with fleshing her out that much since the show was 2 seasons away from being done.

Shame that didn't think the fanbase would expect more from them.

38 minutes ago, MovieLord101 said:

Hate to dig up an old thread, but now that I've mulled things over, I think the writing staff really didn't put a lot of thought behind Cozy Glow as a character. They just wanted an evil kid villain that was a nod to Lauren Faust's old work and didn't want to be bothered with fleshing her out that much since the show was 2 seasons away from being done.

Shame that didn't think the fanbase would expect more from them.

Youu know I always say "a wasted idea in the show is an opportunity for a fan to come up with their own conclusion" so instead about it just go and write/read a fanfiction that explains Cozy Glows' backstory. Plenty of great stories do leave unanswered questions and let the fans come to their own conclusions. 

in fact it's the very reason I'm actually glad they never actually showed spikes real parents. Because of that I was able to come up to my own back story that would actually fit nicely into lore.

Personally I always thought that spikes real parents were actually kind dragons who felt like outcasts so they left the dragon lands, traveled a very long way and found their own place. They were planning to raise spikes egg but there was a situation beyond their control. They wanted to give a Spike his best chance so they managed to somehow get the egg to a trusted Pony or whatever who somehow knew that Celestia would use it. and that's just one possible way that spikes egg and it up and Celeste is possession all that time.

so Spike's parents died, but endured Spike would have a chance at life. Of course that's just my interpretation

• Brohoof 1