Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight shoulda been a main character

FlareGun45

1 minute ago, Goat-kun said:

Read the first claim of mine: if Mane 6 would have been written better then Starlight would have never existed. Starlight does not inhibit Mane 6 to be written better. Starlight is a symptom of shit writing, not the cause.

I simply disagree - Starlight has stories that no member of the Mane 6 could do, and there is no reason to not add those stories and only use Mane 6 ones indefinitely. Heck, the CMC have had their own largely separate stories since the beginning.

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

I simply disagree - Starlight has stories that no member of the Mane 6 could do, and there is no reason to not add those stories and only use Mane 6 ones indefinitely. Heck, the CMC have had their own largely separate stories since the beginning.

And that, my forumgoer, is the One True Story fallacy. I had to invent the whole thing cause some Starfoals inevitably try to suggest that Starlight simply must exist within FIM cause without Starlight one could never have Starlight-associated stories exactly in the way they are with Starlight. Of course not, but that's beside the point.

You get Mane 6 stories and introduce characters that can offer way more than just non-issues to feed the lessons. CMCs, for instance, explored the concept of a cutie mark. For more information re-read what I have already written.

1 minute ago, Goat-kun said:

And that, my forumgoer, is the One True Story fallacy. I had to invent the whole thing cause some Starfoals inevitably try to suggest that Starlight simply must exist within FIM cause without Starlight one could never have Starlight-associated stories exactly in the way they are with Starlight. Of course not, but that's beside the point.

You get Mane 6 stories and introduce characters that can offer way more than just non-issues to feed the lessons. CMCs, for instance, explored the concept of a cutie mark. For more information re-read what I have already written.

Rather, isn't it you who are falling into that fallacy? There's no reason not to have Starlight's story and the Manes' stories, and the students stories and the CMC's stories and Spike's story... this show can support them all when written well.

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Rather, isn't it you who are falling into that fallacy? There's no reason not to have Starlight's story and the Manes' stories, and the students stories and the CMC's stories and Spike's story... this show can support them all when written well.

The fallacy only works when it is suggested that a character's existence is necessary just because they exist, not when one states that a character should exist due to their value. Should Starlight exist within FIM? Why? What is her value?

15 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

The fallacy only works when it is suggested that a character's existence is necessary just because they exist, not when one states that a character should exist due to their value. Should Starlight exist within FIM? Why? What is her value?

If you don't see any, then i suppose she has none to you.

The show could have managed fine without her, I don't doubt - but you could probably eliminate any individual Mane save perhaps Twilight on the same basis.

13 hours ago, Latecomer said:

If you don't see any, then i suppose she has none to you.

The show could have managed fine without her, I don't doubt - but you could probably eliminate any individual Mane save perhaps Twilight on the same basis.

Ascribing the same value to a bunch of main characters that were originally designed to work as a group of friends and to a stand-alone character added at the end is also a falsehood.

The show could have managed fine without her = she has no value that couldn't have been met or exceeded by characters that were already within the show. Her addition is bad management.

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Ascribing the same value to a bunch of main characters that were originally designed to work as a group of friends and to a stand-alone character added at the end is also a falsehood.

The show could have managed fine without her = she has no value that couldn't have been met or exceeded by characters that were already within the show. Her addition is bad management.

You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose. But I am also entitled to disagree.

And the Mane 6 dynamic does not require all of them - we're just used to them. And they all add to the show - as does Starlight, as do all the leads.

7 hours ago, Latecomer said:

You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose. But I am also entitled to disagree.

And the Mane 6 dynamic does not require all of them - we're just used to them. And they all add to the show - as does Starlight, as do all the leads.

That is not an argument. I have now spent seven posts describing my view on character value and you're giving me the: that's just like, your opinion, man. Yes it is. Now tell me like, your opinion, man: What value does Starlight add to the show that cannot be gained from existing characters? More non-issue lessons? Yup, but even background critters can do that so it ain't gonna cover the cost of yet another friendship-starved unicorn flailing around the place like a caffeinated squirrel.

And yes, Mane 6 dynamic does not require all of them but it sure as Tart requires the dynamic itself.

5 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

That is not an argument. I have now spent seven posts describing my view on character value and you're giving me the: that's just like, your opinion, man. Yes it is. Now tell me like, your opinion, man: What value does Starlight add to the show that cannot be gained from existing characters? More non-issue lessons? Yup, but even background critters can do that so it ain't gonna cover the cost of yet another friendship-starved unicorn flailing around the place like a caffeinated squirrel.

And yes, Mane 6 dynamic does not require all of them but it sure as Tart requires the dynamic itself.

If you can't see any value in Starlight's story, then I suppose her addition was indeed of no or negative value to you. Many of us, however, have greatly enjoyed many of her episodes - which is reason enough for her to have joined the show. Certainly, there are aspects of her arc that could have been written better - but I would rather take it as is than not have her at all.

12 hours ago, Latecomer said:

If you can't see any value in Starlight's story, then I suppose her addition was indeed of no or negative value to you. Many of us, however, have greatly enjoyed many of her episodes - which is reason enough for her to have joined the show. Certainly, there are aspects of her arc that could have been written better - but I would rather take it as is than not have her at all.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I hate Rarity. She's a thot. Will defend her existence all the same.

If your whole defense of Starlight is your personal enjoyment of her episodes, then there is nothing else to be said. The prosecution rests, your honor.

20 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

I'll let you in on a little secret: I hate Rarity. She's a thot. Will defend her existence all the same.

If your whole defense of Starlight is your personal enjoyment of her episodes, then there is nothing else to be said. The prosecution rests, your honor.

Indeed - but I consider that defence, plus her not actually disrupting the show, sufficient.

And Rarity is a lovely mare.

I am one of Starlight Glimmer's fans and also Flash Sentry's fans so i hope one day of in the MLP G5 she will become the main characters with the old and new characters in the G5 because for me G5 need Starlight Glimmer,Rara (Coloratura) and Lightning Dust.