Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

are bronies the part of the furry fandom?

Muffinnz

is the mlp fandom part of the furry fandom?

- Bronies don't wear fur suits

- the mlp fandom is more strict on the persona races

- mlp fandom has a core source (mlp:fim) to talk about as the furry fandom is more general

- lots more

my opinion: Bronies are NOT the same as furries

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 2

Bronies and furries are completely different fandoms with completely different histories and subcultures. Saying that they are the same simply because both involve something cartoon animal-related is like saying that China and Japan are the same because they're both Asian countries. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Muffinnz said:

- Bronies don't wear fur suits 

Like furries, some of them do.

- the mlp fandom is more strict on the persona races

A valid statement - but could you elaborate?

- mlp fandom has a core source (mlp:fim) to talk about as the furry fandom is more general 

There are various branches of the furry fandom - some place a lot more focus on specific works.

Personally, I think Bronies could qualify as furries. Here's the thing - in any fandom, there's a great degree of variety as far as how much that fandom is expressed. For example, I'd consider myself a furry - I don't have a fursona, I'm not much of a part of any community that specifically labels itself as furry, but I think cartoon animals are groovy. Likewise, My Little Pony does revolve around anthropomorphic animals - while they may not all be physically human-like, they exhibit most human-like traits in mentality and behavior.

• Brohoof 2

"Bronies are just diet furries." 

- BronyCon 2019. 

This has been an issue philosophers in the fandom have been pondering and debating over since it's inception. Luckily, one of them has decided to tackle it head on. 

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bronies are just furries in denial

They can overlap but they aren’t mutually exclusive 

I like your take on this. 

• Brohoof 2

54 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

"Bronies are just diet furries." 

- BronyCon 2019. 

This sign.

IMG_20190803_180039.thumb.jpg.f663a6e0806998e6383ed92bb28c3e15.jpg

And there are quite a few bronies who wear fursuits (myself included). You'd be surprised at how many fursuits were at BronyCon this past August.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Booker said:

This sign.

IMG_20190803_180039.thumb.jpg.f663a6e0806998e6383ed92bb28c3e15.jpg

And there are quite a few bronies who wear fursuits (myself included). You'd be surprised at how many fursuits were at BronyCon this past August.

I would be surprised. If I didn't see the fursuit parade that ran through half the convention center. And the fact that the "Intro to the Furry Community" panel was at capacity. With a line that wrapped around the corner and stretched into the main foyer still waiting to get in.

1 hour ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bronies are just furries in denial

They can overlap but they aren’t mutually exclusive 

I think both halves of that statement mean the same thing. :muffins:

Bronies as a thing are not furries. But some bronies are furries.

• Brohoof 2

Most furries don’t wear fursuits. As far a strict rules on personas that depends. Go ahead and try and use a restricted fan created species and see what happens? There are some original species that are “locked” and some that are free to use but you have to abide by rules regarding the species. 

You know how cost prohibitive those things are? My wife was involved in that fandom before cable internet and I’ve been “adopted” as one furry once told me in the early 2000’s. Hence the rare use of the mouse avatar when I done across old fan art of my wife’s fursona. I probably know more about the fandom than most furries under the age of 25. 

Anyway, the general view from most furries I’ve interacted with is that you aren’t one unless you willingly take that label. Makes since since we like to modify things in various languages to denote the general intensity of a thing. Die Hard Fan is a phrase to suggest that it is more tied to someone’s identity that someone who says, “yeah that thing is okay”. 

Some people just overthink this stuff, far too much. Are Bronies also Furries? That depends on the Brony. 2nd Amendment said it well. 

• Brohoof 1

There is clear overlap in both the furry and brony fandom. However, they are not exclusive to each other. I should know, because i've spent a significant amount of time in and around the furry fandom. There are elements that both fandoms have, but there are major differences between them as well.

• 9 months later...

No I wouldn't say so. You can become a furry if you wish but they are two seperate things while thers is crossover.

Honestly i hear some furries talking about how much they dislike bronies though i never know if they are joking. Then again they talk stuff up about furries too lol. Some furries however do talk about how much they like the show and even send memes of mlp. It depends on who and which group of furries.