Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Moon Landing Faked .... News at 11!

Pentium100

27 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

I have heard that but I am skeptical. 

I don't know if you are serious or not, but let's consider this: the Moon landing program involved thousands of people designing/building the rockets, lots of people over multiple countries tracking them (since if the spacecraft is on the other side of the planet you cannot get a radio signal to/from it so you need a tracking stations in Europe, Australia etc that would relay the signal back to the mission control). In fact, the video of the first steps on the Moon was received by a tracking station in Australia, not the US.

So, you would need to pay off all of those people to make them quiet. And be sure that everybody stays quiet. It would take a lot of money.

But, even if the US government did so, there was still the USSR. At the time the US and the USSR were in a fierce space race. If the landing was faked, the USSR would have found out about it since they had their own space program and tracing stations (also, Russian spies managed to copy pretty much all of the documents from the Manhattan project and Russian security was good enough that the US didn't know that the USSR has built a copy of the Fat Man until it was tested). So, the Russians would have had lots of fun exposing "the lies of the corrupt capitalist pigs" and then landed a man on the Moon themselves to prove that Communism is a superior system.

Or the US would have to pay off the USSR as well. I actually don't know what it would have cost them to do that. To make the Russians concede defeat when they knew it was a lie would have taken a lot and not just money.

And then, for what purpose? To fool the general public? What would have been achieved with that?

It's also funny to me when I read about conspiracy theories that predict the end of the world (a large asteroid etc). Yes, the government is keeping it secret, so when everybody dies it would be a surprise.

@Pentium100 you mentioned The Manhattan Project. There were thousands of people who worked on it who didn't know what they were doing. The Russians had spies, but did not espose themselves to the public just to embarass the US.

It is possible for engineers and technicians to build a rocket, thinking it will go to the moon. You wouldn't have to pay off that many people.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

The Russians had spies, but did not espose themselves to the public just to embarass the US.

Because it was more useful for them to build their own bombs. And to make sure the US was unaware of it until it was too late. 

The difference would have been that there would be no profit for the Russians in keeping the secret. Losing the space race (before the Moon landing, the USSR was first in all space related achievements) hurt the USSR, so having the evidence that the US faked it would have been great to either expose the lies and get their own man on the Moon or blackmail the US for a lot of money and probably several countries.

11 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

It is possible for engineers and technicians to build a rocket, thinking it will go to the moon. You wouldn't have to pay off that many people.

But that would mean that the hardware built had to be real and for real costs. So if you have real rockets, real guidance etc, you might as well fly to the Moon, since faking it won't save you money and still runs the risk of someone talking (or a spy finding out).

Pretty much the only way to fake it would have been to fly the spacecraft, but instead of the Astronauts have a tape recorder with the video and communications on it so the signals coming in were real. It would not have saved money at all.

3 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

The funny thing in the meta about all this is that because Area 51 can't really be considered a black site anymore, it's highly unlikely that they're keeping the aliens there anymore. 

Or maybe they are, since if someone leaked something nobody would believe it. "Oh, the US government is keeping aliens in Area 51? Never heard of that one before."

Edited by Pentium100

3 hours ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

@Pentium100 you mentioned The Manhattan Project. There were thousands of people who worked on it who didn't know what they were doing. The Russians had spies, but did not espose themselves to the public just to embarass the US.

Just say it. You're right and all evidence that opposes your claim is a fabrication to cover up whatever conspiracy theory you support because of some Illuminati deep state lizard men BS with a side-order of HAARP and project blue beam, and every space agency and astronomer on the planet is faking photos of the cosmos, and models of the solar system that have been being developed and fine-tuned for over half of a millennium have been falsified, all so we don't find out that Earth is flat. Because... why the heck not? Do you also think there has never been an actual mass shooting in America?

I split this part of the conversation from the Area 51 thread because it’s an interesting discussion that I don’t want killed. Staff does have the ability to split these off to prevent derailment while still encouraging discussion. Since we are a smaller community, should you ever see a salvageable discussion within a thread that goes way off topic report it asking for it to be split or PM a mod. 

• Brohoof 1

Because there isn't ample evidence it wasn't faked to anyone who doesn't so badly want to believe that we never went there that it makes moon landing denial an utter joke... :laugh:

I would go further, but I'm not willing to go down to the intellectual level of these people.

Edited by Angus Delaney

If it is so easy to do, then why hasn't Russia or China done it? 50 year old technology and they still can't do it? The Chinese and Russians didn't expose it because they might want to fake their own landing some day. They can't very well say, "yours was fake but ours is totally real."

19 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

If it is so easy to do, then why hasn't Russia or China done it? 50 year old technology and they still can't do it?

There is not much prestige in being second, especially after so long. Hey, look, our glorious technology is at the same level that the USA had 50 years ago!

20 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

They can't very well say, "yours was fake but ours is totally real."

They would have done exactly that. Send a Russian to the Moon, invite everyone to watch, provide evidence that the USA faked it. It would have been great.

22 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

The Chinese and Russians didn't expose it because they might want to fake their own landing some day.

What would be the reason for doing so? Hell, what was, in your opinion, the reason for the USA for doing so? Just for kicks "oh look how we fooled them"?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Pentium100 said:

There is not much prestige in being second, especially after so long. Hey, look, our glorious technology is at the same level that the USA had 50 years ago!

They would have done exactly that. Send a Russian to the Moon, invite everyone to watch, provide evidence that the USA faked it. It would have been great.

What would be the reason for doing so? Hell, what was, in your opinion, the reason for the USA for doing so? Just for kicks "oh look how we fooled them"?

There would be plenty of prestige. Pretend to put a bigger flag there. China builds entire cities with no people in them. Who knows why they do what they do?

I'm saying the Russians/Chinese won't expose ours as fake because they CAN'T go there for real. It is impossible. But they might want to fake their own. If they expose how ours was fake then people could see how they faked it the same way.

I think the plan was to actually go, but we figured out it can't be done. But we kept the project going for a few reasons. 1: to beat the Russians. If we can't do it for real then we fake it. 2: money. There was, and still is, so much money from government projects, especially something that big. The congress that funded it probably didn't know any better. But the people who knew didn't want the funding to stop. Why ruin a good thing? Think about it, why do we still fund NASA when it doesn't do anything any more?

:muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I've found the moon landing denier community has a lot of overlap with flat-earthers. And plenty of flat-earthers believe that all space exploration has been faked, which boggles my mind considering the multitude of video evidence from humans in Earth orbit...

Seriously, try faking this. Explain why the curve of the planet slowly materializes as the spacecraft ascends. 

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I've found the moon landing denier community has a lot of overlap with flat-earthers. And plenty of flat-earthers believe that all space exploration has been faked, which boggles my mind considering the multitude of video evidence from humans in Earth orbit...

Seriously, try faking this. Explain why the curve of the planet slowly materializes as the spacecraft ascends.

The Earth is flat you say?.... Hmmm:huh:

I was once a non-believer as well. The biggest peak of my belief that the moon landings were fake, was completely crushed by a single YouTube documentary. And I mean completely crushed to the point I feel so fooled and cheated on that I question every single documentary that falls into my path ever again.

So the documentary was all a setup to make you believe the moon landing was fake, to the point you actually believed it. Too much evidence! I was already on the the side of the documentary, so it was like "come on people, don't you see? Moon landing is impossible with our technology, etc, etc". Then came the ending of the documentary, with the "fooled ya!" text, and how they fabricated the whole thing. I was so broken!

Moon landing, real or now, doesn't matter. It is a rock with nothing of value other than pride for the one who touched it for the first time. But if you happen to have the tech to get there, maybe you can use that tech for good things! I hope we got something important out of it, other than losing money or creating more wars.

• Brohoof 1

Let's just put it this way: anyone who believes the moon landing was fake is a gullible fool. There's more evidence that we went there than shows we didn't. That and we couldn't hide that kind of thing for too long before getting found out. Every principle "argument" people use to say it was fake is easily debunked with just a modicum of scientific understanding or through just a little bit of basic research. It just drives me up a wall that stupidity this brazen is allowed to fester for so long.

• Brohoof 1

I don't even know why the moon landing is important anymore to anyone. Yeah, it was a massive achievement from humanity, but look where we're at now. About to start more wars over speculation, creationism is constantly trying to be thrust back into the mainstream, we give millions of dollars to people who play and exploit video games. In the modern world, if we take a step forward, we apparently have to take a step back along with it.

There’s a laser beacon that still sends pulses from the moon to earth and I’m pretty sure we put it there. And just as notable is the fact that special effects were not very advanced back then. They were improving in movies, but still not enough to convince anyone nowadays that it’s real footage from the moon. So if it can stand up under the scrutiny of today’s sophisticated eyes for fakery, it probably was real. I mean, duh.  

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Yeah, it was a massive achievement from humanity, but look where we're at now. About to start more wars over speculation, creationism is constantly trying to be thrust back into the mainstream, we give millions of dollars to people who play and exploit video games.

Because now, apparently, feelings matter more than evidence. You can't do that because it will make me feel bad.

13 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

There’s a laser beacon that still sends pulses from the moon to earth and I’m pretty sure we put it there.

IT's not a beacon, it'sa retro-reflector (like you can wear on your clothes to make you more visible to cars at night). If you send a laser pulse at it from Earth you can measure how long it takes to come back and, in turn, the distance to the Moon.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Because now, apparently, feelings matter more than evidence. You can't do that because it will make me feel bad.

IT's not a beacon, it'sa retro-reflector (like you can wear on your clothes to make you more visible to cars at night). If you send a laser pulse at it from Earth you can measure how long it takes to come back and, in turn, the distance to the Moon.

Okay, that makes sense. And still solid evidence of there having been someone on the moon to put it there. 

• Brohoof 1