Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E22 - Growing Up Is Hard to Do

KH7672

Growing Up is Hard to Do Episode Ranking  

72 users have voted

1. 1. How'd you enjoy the last Crusader's episode?

• I guess this flower's going to be the most interesting thing we'll see this episode (HATED IT)
    • In our defense, every other part of the episode was planned really well. (Disliked it)
    • I guess these grown-up stories aren't always perfect. (It was okay)
    • That offered some quality grown-up advice. (Liked it)
    • Being a big, grown-up CMC send-off is all it takes! (LOVED IT!)

OOOOOOHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!????   Adulting........

1784617255_cmcgrownupagrol.thumb.png.79d84724024bf53d93a7ca5c9834fbfa.png

Credit goes to AgrolChannel

No worries, I didn't spoil the canon reveal for you ;)

Title: Growing Up Is Hard to Do

Air Date: September 28, 2019

Written by: Ed Valentine who previously wrote Flight to Finish, The Cart Before the Ponies, and The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.  A nice choice in a writer to close out the Cutie Mark Crusaders saga :catface:

Synopsis: When the Cutie Mark Crusaders are magically transformed into grownups, they discover that growing up the right way means gaining experience and wisdom that simply can't be rushed.

We first met them as annoying little kids screaming at the top of the lungs, and watched them grow through finding themselves, their special talents, and their place in society that can't break them up.  The only way to go for them is up-literally-so tune in for the send off to the CMC saga.

Watch Live and chat with us on EquestriaTV in the CMC Clubhouse (adults officially allowed now :laugh:)

And since this is my thread, for those who know me, I can't end it without a little commentary :D:

33997420_grownup1.thumb.png.0bd4e56c9600efcd0d20518c456853fc.png

231244576_grownup2.thumb.png.9cea0c2c928db22dee978cca405d006b.png

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 10

• This topic was pinned and featured
6 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I got spoiled by a screenshot, and I have to say...

Hide contents
  Hide contents

I really like how Adult!Scootaloo’s wings are still filly-sized. Nice touch. XD

scootaloo is nemo confirmed

• Brohoof 4

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

According to a new tweet from Jim, they've been wanting to do something like this since the end of season 5.

Makes sense they finally had their cutie marks then, it would've been even more awkward for them as grown-ups with blank flanks :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

According to a new tweet from Jim, they've been wanting to do something like this since the end of season 5.

They shouldn't have held back then - it would have made more sense than it does here.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Makes sense they finally had their cutie marks then, it would've been even more awkward for them as grown-ups with blank flanks :muffins:

As Will Guide, I first woke up in Equestria with a blank flank and lack of memories. The CMC were the ones who remind me about the 3 basic pony races and gave me encouragement to discover my Cutie Mark and get my memories restored as I go along.

11 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Spoiler

They probably should have. The CMC have been growing up quite a bit and this episode made them really seem like children.

Anyway, the tornado dog was cute.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 3

I'm probably gonna be reminded of that Fairly Odd Parents episode where Timmy wished to be an adult, but remembered that he didn't even BOTHER exercising or anything, and looks terrible. Radically different from the end of Channel Chasers. I prefer the kind of rapid growth in EarthWorm Jim where Evil Jim made Jim and Peter into old people. At least they gained instant experience, and used the thing to become babies, so they could use cuteness to beat Evil Jim. It was the cold opening of "Opposites Attack!"

Okay, I watched through a segment of the episode, and learned they should've asked Pinkie Pie first,, but she probably went with the Cakes, or had a lot of work at Sugar Cube Corner.

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, YoshiAngemon said:

I'm probably gonna be reminded of that Fairly Odd Parents episode where Timmy wished to be an adult, but remembered that he didn't even BOTHER exercising or anything, and looks terrible. Radically different from the end of Channel Chasers.

Spoiler

Funny you mention that: The original plan for my little commentary was going to include an addition scene of that adult version of Timmy showing up saying to the Crusaders: At least you didn't have this kind of episode as one of the first your the series.

Then Scootaloo was going to comment with: But wouldn't that mean you learn the valuable lessons from this experience early so that you can enjoy your time as a kid, and be ready when you really become a grown up.

Finally cutting back to Timmy with a defeated look: You'd think that would happen.  (With a slightly opaque gif of Drake Bell Timmy Turner screaming) Then Timmy says even more defeated: You'd think....

But I decided to cut it not just because of the time it would take to make but also for being a little too on the nose for the CMC episode.

Edit: Also I added the poll now too, enjoy discussing :catface:

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 1

really to me it look like twlight and the others wanted them to learn so they let it happen. There is so many other ponies/non-ponies they could have asked before they gave up. I mean did you ask discord:umad:.  also why did the kids with that pet think just because the CMC were big they know what they are talking about? they go there with no problem and the CNC were lost.

• Brohoof 1

OK, I wish this was episode 12 and episode 12 had been this episode, because in my opinion episode 12 would have been a much better ending episode for the CMC than this kinda average episode.  I guess it was nice that there was a song in this episode so there was in fact an ending song for the CMC, but the plot was kinda. . . ordinary-ish?  It was cool to see how they looked grown-up, but there could have been better conflict in this episode, like them suddenly being grown-ups could have influenced in some way each of their main weaknesses.  On the other hoof, The Last Crusade had a unique conflict and seemed to celebrate all of the CMC's triumphs over the course of the series, and even has a name that seems to be screaming "Last CMC episode".  I actually would have been perfectly fine if "The Last Crusade" had been the last CMC episode, but oh well.

• Brohoof 2

Not sure if this is the last CMC episode for this season but if it is, I enjoy it. It's nothing special in the long run since I have seen the 'kids became grown ups' type of plot before, but it didn't annoy me in the slightest. I enjoy Biscuit and Spur as characters. They may be one shot ponies, but I enjoy their interactions with each other and the CMC. 

But yea, I kinda wish The last Crusade was the last CMC episode but eh, this one's harmless.

• Brohoof 2

It was an enjoyable episode, with a solid moral. But the most important thing we got in this episode is adult CMC, which I am glad we did. This episode was proves(at least im my opinion) that scootaloo will never fly, which I am glad, I think it adds more to her character.

The song was pretty dull though. 7\10

• Brohoof 3