Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E22 - Growing Up Is Hard to Do

KH7672

Growing Up is Hard to Do Episode Ranking  

72 users have voted

1. 1. How'd you enjoy the last Crusader's episode?

• I guess this flower's going to be the most interesting thing we'll see this episode (HATED IT)
    • In our defense, every other part of the episode was planned really well. (Disliked it)
    • I guess these grown-up stories aren't always perfect. (It was okay)
    • That offered some quality grown-up advice. (Liked it)
    • Being a big, grown-up CMC send-off is all it takes! (LOVED IT!)

1 hour ago, JCKane said:

I dunno.  I didn't think that was a good conclusion to the CMC archs.  and Admitedly, the Last Crusade, I do feel could of gone better imo... but like it felt like the 'final CMC focused episode'... not to mention it was in the final season... unlike the one you mentioned, thus they had room to add alot of the other CMC focused episodes.

It only works as a final CMC ep for a CMC that never grow up - in fact not even then, because that breaks it's own moral of "adulthood comes to those who wait".

Forever FIlly, on the other hand, is an episode about the CMC (well, one of them at least) growing up.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

Strange that Pinkie Pie wasn't able to take the CMC to Appleloosa. Had she been available, we'd have had a completely different story.

I made a comic strip of how that could have happened.

2156211.png

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Remember "Marks for Effort", where at the end Twilight offers them positions as tutors at the Friendship School? It would have been nice if their sendoff had involved actually going somewhere with that. Many of their students would be at the age where they would either still be blank flanks or just gotten their cutie marks, giving the CMC ample opportunity to practice their talent as cutie mark counselors.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:52 PM, Rushing cash said:

This episode was proves(at least im my opinion) that scootaloo will never fly, which I am glad, I think it adds more to her character.

It could have added more to her character if it had actually been part of her character for a meaningful length of time, instead of just being dropped on us at the end.

For several seasons we've seen her yearning for the experience of flight, and now she finds out that it ain't gonna happen and has no reaction whatsoever. Even if you've resolved to not let your disability define you, discovering that you'll never get to do what you've always wanted to do with your life tends to be highly unpleasant. To ignore that is to do as much of a disservice to people with disabilities as they would have by giving her adult form normal-size wings.

Not to mention that dropping the "late bloomer" act earlier would have allowed the opportunity to explore the idea of assistive technology (such as Apple Bloom's glider from "Call of the Cutie") - which would have made Scootaloo's situation feel less tragic than the wishy-washy way they handled her condition for most of the series.

Edited by HedonismBot

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I personally really liked this episode. Spurt and the red colt were pretty cute characters. Sweetie Belle looked the best as an adult out of the CMC. The stallion at the Hayseed Junction station was pretty funny.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I wanna know why they never went ahead and explored giving Scoot some kind of adaptive device to let her fly. I did enjoy this ep but wish they’d used the last CMC wp for something like that instead. 

• 2 months later...
On 2023-01-21 at 9:37 PM, Gale Wind said:

I wanna know why they never went ahead and explored giving Scoot some kind of adaptive device to let her fly. I did enjoy this ep but wish they’d used the last CMC wp for something like that instead. 

I've wondered the same thing. Best I can think of is they didn't want to conclusively mark Scootaloo as disabled, as if not wanting to disappoint the fans who wanted to see her fly after watching her struggle. Though one would think letting her explore the wonderful world of aeronautics would have been a logical compromise between them and the fans holding her up as a quality specimen of disability representation.