Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in an afterlife?

heavens-champion

I think the spirit lives on even after the body dies.  The spirit wanders for a time but it always comes back to live a life on this plane of existence...  Or at least, as a physical form. 

I don't consider it completely outside of the realm of possibility, considering how much we still have to learn about the universe itself... but ultimately, I would say no. Though I do consider myself a deist, I am not sure whether or not it would consider human life "transcendent," so to speak.

Do you believe in a life before this one? No, I do not remember one before, so there is clearly one after, yes?

No. I don't believe in one. I think you do see a lot of things before you die, including the "white light", but that is not the "afterlife".

• Brohoof 1

I want to believe that there is an afterlife, but I want to be reasonable and honest to myself. You only live once, your soul is your brain and neurons, there is nothing to go through after death. You have to try to make your best shot in this life and be the best you that you could ever be. Be kind to others and value life because there is no afterlife. That's what I think.

And if you are reborn through a different body, what's the point when your memories are all erased and you are a totally different person then?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Those to say that the belief towards afterlife is either pointless or ridiculous is a implausible argument. I hate to assumed that they’re  probably too lazy to say more or just have little understanding of the fundamental behind it towards why people believe in it.  

• Brohoof 5

Nope, but I wish I did. I don't entirely consider it impossible but it seems pretty unlikely based on what we know, and that makes me feel really depressed. Like, I was brought into this world through no choice of my own, because two other people couldn't bother to really think through the consequences of their actions, and now I'm doomed to live a life here, suffering and rotting day by day until my disgusting meat body finally gives in and then I just cease to exist. Forever. No more thoughts, no more feelings, everything I was and ever could have been is just...gone, snuffed out. It's like I might as well not have existed at all, except I did and while I'm here I'm stuck dealing with it all for nothing. My entire existence has about as much worth as the trash can in my room. Even if I make a difference to others they die too and then it's like they never existed either so ultimately anything I did for anyone else is equally pointless.

Needless to say, this is not a topic I enjoy thinking of. I sincerely hope there's something after all this and that it's something good and I'm totally wrong...but I'm not holding onto much hope.

I do believe in an afterlife. I was taught to believe this based on my religion. I can undertrained why some people don’t believe in one, though. I won’t debate with those people because it doesn’t ever get anywhere.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Thuja said:

I think the spirit lives on even after the body dies.  The spirit wanders for a time but it always comes back to live a life on this plane of existence...  Or at least, as a physical form. 

Thank you very much. I was going to write pretty much the same thing!

• Brohoof 1

I believe it's possible. :) Hi, agnostic here, with a slight preference towards Christianity. To me, anything is possible. No one will ever truly know until you meet your own personal death, but if I could have my choice, I'd like there to be one. Because afterlife has also been referred to as an eternal paradise where there is no strife or drama, no war or pain, no sickness or suffering, no worldly troubles whatsoever. Just eternal peace and happiness. I could go into more detail on my personal thoughts, but I think that's enough for now.

19 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

Just eternal peace and happiness.

Wouldn't that get old fast :) Heaven for one may be hell for another.

Still, there could be something, I guess we all will find out eventually. Or not.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I want to believe that there is an afterlife, but I want to be reasonable and honest to myself. You only live once, your soul is your brain and neurons, there is nothing to go through after death. You have to try to make your best shot in this life and be the best you that you could ever be. Be kind to others and value life because there is no afterlife. That's what I think.

And if you are reborn through a different body, what's the point when your memories are all erased and you are a totally different person then?

That scene in Forgotten Friendship of Sunset screaming while her memories are yanked away from her, that's what reincarnation feels like to me, and I find the idea just as terrifying as perma-death. I guess I agree with the Doctor on 'regeneration.' "I don't wanna go."

Ascending to a higher plane or remaining here as a wandering (maybe helpful?) spirit? Fine. The other stuff, I really don't think I'd want it.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

That scene in Forgotten Friendship of Sunset screaming while her memories are yanked away from her, that's what reincarnation feels like to me, and I find the idea just as terrifying as perma-death. I guess I agree with the Doctor on 'regeneration.' "I don't wanna go."

Yea, my memories define me, losing them would be pretty much the same as death.

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Wouldn't that get old fast :) Heaven for one may be hell for another.

Not really. Because in every description I've heard or read that calls heaven an "eternal paradise", anyone who goes there would never get bored. Boredom is a mortal emotion fueled by desire; a desire to do something else, to mix things up, to have some fun variety. In the afterlife, you'd no longer have worldly desires, because you aren't part of the world anymore. I described it as peace and happiness, but it's more like tranquility, the kind of tranquility you never truly wish to end. I guess if you've never had a "I don't want this moment to end" feeling, then it can be hard to describe.

50 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Well, it depends on what you consider reincarnation to be. Most of the time, I've heard that you only reincarnate as a lesser being, never as another human. But even if there was human reincarnation, I don't think it would be that bad. You might try to communicate to your parents like an adult, but you're stuck as a baby, so all that would come out is baby talk. And since you've gained a fresh childhood mind that is easily fascinated by the world around you, any memories you have of an old life would just fade away in a manner so natural, you wouldn't even realize it's happening. It wouldn't be painful like in Forgotten Friendship, you'd just shrug it off as if your imagination was playing games with you. :adorkable:

Edited by Samurai Equine

27 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

I guess if you've never had a "I don't want this moment to end" feeling, then it can be hard to describe.

That always accompanied doing something. Then again, I do not drink alcohol or do drugs, so maybe it's like being drunk or high all the time or something. I don't think I ever just sat down and though "I wish I could stay like this forever". I can't just do nothing and wouldn't want to sleep all the time either.

35 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

And since you've gained a fresh childhood mind that is easy fascinated by the world around you, any memories you have of an old life would just fade away in a manner so natural, you wouldn't even realize it's happening.

I think I would try to hold onto them with all my effort. I personally dislike change and really hate permanent change.

However, as far as we know, the memories are physical since if you damage the brain you can lose some (or all) memories or the ability to form new memories. You probably do not take a backup copy with you. 

So yea, it would suck either way. The only "reincarnation" I would be OK with is if I had all or at least most of my memories with me, I could endure the first few years somehow and then it would be rather nice as I could learn even more things instead of redoing everything.