Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in an afterlife?

heavens-champion

2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I think I would try to hold onto them with all my effort. I personally dislike change and really hate permanent change.

However, as far as we know, the memories are physical since if you damage the brain you can lose some (or all) memories or the ability to form new memories. You probably do not take a backup copy with you. 

You would hold on to them, if you were aware that your memories were leaving your mind in real-time. But the scenario I mentioned is one where you would NOT be aware, so you probably wouldn't. :)

...Are they really only physical? I mean, I can't say for sure since there is no scientific evidence proving or disproving the exsitence of a soul, but many people say that your soul carries your memories with you. So you might not have a physical back-up of your memories, but you could say that they exist in a supernatural version of "cloud storage." :yay: But I guess it depends on what you personally want to believe. From my point of view, it seems unnecessary to carry those old memories if you are starting a completely new, fresh life starting at infancy. But I am sure there are people out there who claim they are reincarnated and still carry memories of their past life (lives?). So if you want to believe they are telling the truth, have at it!

Sorry to be the realist here but do you believe in the before life? Like as a kid did you remember before you were born? Before your brain was functioning? 

Thinking of that what makes you think you'll have cognitive ability after it shuts down?

• Brohoof 1

I don't really believe in the concept, though I did back when I was religious. Of course, we don't really know for sure, but I personally don't see how and why it would exist.

In a spiritual sense, I do. Living the current life in learning physically, mentally, and spirtually to take on to the next life. Whether one learns this life time or the next varies, also takes in consideration of being able to look back into past lives.

In one sense reincarnation can be seen as a blessing and/or a curse. Depends on the individual and how they feel about it. 

If you ever played "idling to rule the gods" (its a game app and is available on steam if your interested #notsponsered #notintentinallypromoting) there is a rebirth button that you can hit to either improve yourself or hinder your self until the next rebirth. I think life is much like how the game is. Improving your 'self' in the current life to become more knowledgeable and stronger in the next. Unfortantly we will never know whether it is something that is viable or is not viable.

It is up to the individual on what they want to believe in and what not to believe. Everyone is unique in their standing on faith and belief of what is real and what is not. And a good thing to remember is to treat others how you want others to treat you, no matter how rude, insulting, or hostile they are to you. They maybe be really hurt on the inside and may need just a little act of kindness and a friend in their tough times. But also keep in mind there is a time and place where defending your self is priority than to make a friend out of some one looking to make your miserable for a day or a few weeks. Use your best judgment and maybe some others opinions on the hard circumstances.

(I know that last bit isn't really quite on topic. But i felt it should be said. If the mods feel it should be removed, then oh well, no hard feelings.)

Have a wonderful day!

I definitely believe that there is some kind of "afterlife."  What it actually is, I don't know but my guess is that it's MUCH more complicated than just heaven and hell.

Here's some food for thought; and by that I mean just a crumb...

The transistor was invented on 12/23/1947...

t.png.1aa2f3d1b323823f61a85d20999b81bf.png

...Looking like some crap 5th grade science project.

72 years later the newest iPhone (a relatively attainable CONSUMER product) has over 8.5 billion transistors... Besides that look at what else we've accomplished technologically in that short amount of time.

NOW lets add some more time to that and apply some layers akin to the concept of the movie inception for a start...

2014-05-30-ruminating_02.gif.c071a3b50bb63194ab0fe9db01bdb311.gif

Possibilities about the fabric of reality can get pretty insane pretty quickly...

Edited by Cirrus.

as for what i know, no, there's nothing. I have experienced some serious faint spells and once i lost my breathing for some time (i don't know how much time it was but they had to revive me), and i know now what is like to be nothing for that fraction of time at least. so i know that there's nothing.

but, for what i want to choose to believe is yes, yes i still want to think that maybe i will recover consciousness at some point maybe in another form, even if i know it's not true. So i would like to imagine that i will continue somewhere until the day comes and i forget myself forever.

Edited by Ittoni

3 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

Possibilities about the fabric of reality can get pretty insane pretty quickly...

Yes, but, to me, believing in an afterlife how it is described by Christianity or other religions is the same as believing that Equestria exists or that the Stargate TV show is a documentary. I mean, it's all possible, but not very likely. Shintoism, Buddhism,Christianity and other religions have very different ideas of what happens to you after death, those ideas are often mutually incompatible, so, at least most of those must be wrong. Which ones?

On 10/1/2019 at 1:16 AM, Pentium100 said:

Wouldn't that get old fast :) Heaven for one may be hell for another.

Still, there could be something, I guess we all will find out eventually. Or not.

Legit, that idea sounds fine at first, but gets old fast. I think we all need the occasional conflict or two. I dunno if the afterlife exist, but perhaps there’s a higher plane of existence. I once felt a strange experience years ago, where at about 3 am, I felt something piercing through my body, and my heart rate increased at stupid levels. Felt weird, but waited until it calmed down, and went back to sleep. 

If the afterlife exist, I think it makes sense we never find out it does, or we might actually be eager to commit suicide in order to be there :dash:

Not really. You see, oblivion is a difficult concept to consider, but any sort of eternal existence to me seems far more problematic. Even the most amazing possible feeling, when experienced for eternity, would have to become mundane. Same for the worst possible feeling. After a while (and we've got eternity to play with here), wouldn't you necessarily become numb to whatever it was the afterlife had to offer?

I assume that when I die, it'll be much like it was before I was born, or when I'm asleep and not dreaming.

But then again, eternal carousing in Valhalla might be fun, for a few heat deaths at least...

An odd thought experiment as to what might lie beyond is presented here. It doesn't seem like such a bad afterlife, but who knows if it's true or not. I'll link it.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:25 AM, Pentium100 said:

Yes, but, to me, believing in an afterlife how it is described by Christianity or other religions is the same as believing that Equestria exists or that the Stargate TV show is a documentary. I mean, it's all possible, but not very likely. Shintoism, Buddhism,Christianity and other religions have very different ideas of what happens to you after death, those ideas are often mutually incompatible, so, at least most of those must be wrong. Which ones?

I'm Roman Catholic and definitely believe in God, but I don't buy the stereotypical idea of heaven and hell. The invention of the transistor really escalates possibilities. I think life and the world could be RADICALLY different than what we think it is. This goofy old song from when I was a kid (2nd grade 1996) is becoming more and more relevant as time goes on. It's kind of scary! :laugh::confused: (The funny thing also is that I never heard this song until a few months ago. Back in 1996 I listened to mainly country music)

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

I fully believe in an afterlife. I believe we lived with God before Earth life too. As for heaven and hell, I believe that pretty much the entire human race will be split between a good heaven (Telestial), a better heaven (Terrestrial), and a best heaven (Celestial). I suppose you could say the good and better heaven have a type of hell in them, because they each prevent you from reaching the height and happiness of the best heaven. Before all that though, we'll all just live as spirits together in an afterlife before a final judgment.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to, but I've never seen anything that suggests there is one. If it is real, I really, really hope it's not something like reincarnation. There is no way in hell I'm giving up my memories for a chance to live again. I'd rather die permanently if that's the case, or wander the earth as a disembodied spirit, anything but reincarnation.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I very-very have a fear of nirvana, losing existence for me is tge worst thing that could happen to a living creature. I was thinking about it many times when I was younger...I can only say I got very depressed and had a big fears for days.

I do not know if there is an afterlife, but hope it not the wanishing...

Yes, of course I believe in life after death. If this mortal lifespan was the extent of existence it would be pretty pointless and a human soul is far too complex to do all it needs to do and learn what it needs to learn in such a short amount of time. There’s far too much to indicate a life beyond this one and I believe it completely.  

• Brohoof 1

Yes. I find the idea of eternal oblivion to be utterly nonsensical. The opposing side posits his consciousness could exist without a brain, but we don’t even really understand how conscious WITH a brain. That being said, I’m not making any claims to the nature of the afterlife. Unfortunately, different conceptions of the afterlife have wildly different implications for ethics, and there really isn’t anyway to rationally resolve it. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:58 AM, heavens-champion said:

So, you want to cease to exist.

No, but to me, nothing else makes any sense. I understand humanity's fear of the unknown and death is the ultimate unknown, but I simply can't believe in something like an afterlife when it seems so obviously made up by humanity. That's my view on it all.

I'm pretty agnostic, but I tend to believe that consciousness is a fundamental constant of the universe, like energy, which cannot be created nor destroyed. This would mean that it has no starting or stopping point, and thus the concepts of 'birth' or 'death' are invalid. This doesn't mean, however, that one's identity or memories, or even "soul" is kept intact, just that the consciousness of what was once you is now observing a completely separate reality. 

I have complex views. Let's just say that :mlp_smug:

Death is pretty interesting thing to understand it you kinda need to experience it yourself which is a big leap into unknown. I for one believe that there has to be something more into our existence than just this because otherwise it doesn't really make sense