Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I really wish Sunset Shimmer will be one of the Mane Six (or whatever number) in G5

Sepul-Coloratura

I know it's a reboot, but I wish the show acknowledges the character by using her name. (and personally, no Starlight Glimmer.)

Maybe a totally new cast will be a great idea if they are not out of character archetypes (you know, the pillars, the student six....)

It won't work if Butterfly Sprinkles or whoever the name is acts exactly like Pinkie Pie. People will recognize it. So that's one reason to use the mane six's names again. Character archetypes are limited, and so is the writers' imagination.

I know G5 will lean towards the franchise's power and the past gen's success, but it's also a risk that people will compare them even more and G5 will live under the predecessor's shadow if all or most of the mane six inherits the past names. (I can already picture the memes about comparing the characters) And that's one reason not to use the mane six's names again. Will they do something like Boruto s**t?

What do you think about what the members of G5 might be?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 4

I read nothing about what people are saying. Is it confirmed to be a reboot, rather than a continuation using the Student Six or others? A reboot would suck because they can never capture the magic of G4. If it is just a reboot then I do not care what they do. It might be good, as such, but the fact that it lives in the shadow of G4 will taint it. It has become the victim of its own success.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, I think it's essentially confirmed that the ponies will use the same names as the previous generation - like like G4 borrowed from the previous generations. Especially these days the names like "Rainbow Dash" and "Twilight Sparkle" have marketing value to think of it purely in a business sense, so I doubt they're going to just not use them again. Whether this is for better or for worse is up for the individual to decide. 

Ultimately it won't live up to G4 in the minds of many fans because the show has an ingrained emotional and nostalgic value, it won't be like we're going in fresh like when we watched G4 for the very first time. In that way the next generation is at a very serious disadvantage. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Limestone-Pie said:

Ultimately it won't live up to G4 in the minds of many fans because the show has an ingrained emotional and nostalgic value, it won't be like we're going in fresh like when we watched G4 for the very first time. In that way the next generation is at a very serious disadvantage. 

On the other hand, some of us that look back wistfully to those first days would prefer something just as fresh to further continuation. Or perhaps that's the same hand, as it leads to more expectations.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I like Sunset Shimmer, however, I feel the Mane 6 should stay the way they are. We already have Equestria Girls for showing us what the Mane 6 would be like with both Sunset Shimmer and Twilight.  

If they just stay the way they are, what's the point of a new gen?

On the other hand, I'm not sure what Sunset Shimmer in particular would bring to the table.

• Brohoof 2

Sunset Shimmer got ridiculously popular by the time Rainbow Rocks rolled around, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought her back for G5. Whether she appears as a main character remains to be seen

11 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

If they just stay the way they are, what's the point of a new gen?

1 hour ago, Latecomer said:

On the other hand, some of us that look back wistfully to those first days would prefer something just as fresh to further continuation. Or perhaps that's the same hand, as it leads to more expectations.

Hasbro does this with their franchises all the time. Transformers regularly reboots their characters and while they may share similarities they're usually never the same. Heck they already did that with FiM, where all the characters are based on or named after existing characters of past MLP generations

I swear, it's like the idea of rebooting characters and franchise is completely foreign to the brony fandom

• Brohoof 3

I REALLY hope Sunset at least gets to be a recurring character in the next gen at least, but even if she just appeared once and that was it I'd be happy.  She's popular enough that I could definitely see her being a part of the next generation.  Especially since EQG seems to be ending soon.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Sunset Shimmer got ridiculously popular by the time Rainbow Rocks rolled around, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought her back for G5. Whether she appears as a main character remains to be seen

Hasbro does this with their franchises all the time. Transformers regularly reboots their characters and while they may share similarities they're usually never the same. Heck they already did that with FiM, where all the characters are based on or named after existing characters of past MLP generations

I swear, it's like the idea of rebooting characters and franchise is completely foreign to the brony fandom

Oh, I'm quite used to that kind of thing. But just retreading the Mane Six would be a waste of an opportunity.

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

I would go so far to have Twilight Sparkle be replaced by Sunset Shimmer. Since we have seen too much of Twilight Sparkle's destiny already. To me, Sunset is more visual appealing, and her destiny could be as great as Twilight, if written well.

• 3 months later...