Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your heacanon of how the Mane Six started to live in Ponyville?

Sepul-Coloratura

Rarity : Actually a native. She has never seen outside of the small town as a filly, so she started to dream and admire the city life and started making up her own accent and a persona. That's why her parents doesn't talk like she talks.

Fluttershy : After she got her cutie mark, her parents moves their cloud house somewhere closer to the ground so she can become friends with animals. That's near Ponyville, and as soon she grew up, she moved into the cottage.

Rainbow Dash : After Fluttershy moved to Ponyville, she voulunteered to be in charge of the Ponyville's weather as a weather controll pony.

Pinkie Pie : When she grew up, her and Maud both moved out of home and pursued their dreams. Pinkie accidentally arrived in Ponyville after a long sleep in the train (after Maud leaves). She instantly falls in love with the town, tastes her first cupcake at Sugarcube Corner and decides to bury her bones there.

Twilight and Applejack's stories are canon. But to add some more about how they became friends, Fluttershy and Rainbow were close friends since they were fillies of course, Applejack and Rarity knew each other because they were both natives. Rainbow and Applejack instantly started to become rivals from the get go when they met and started to argue at Sweet Apple Acres about raining and stuff, Pinkie instantly got along with eachother and brought everyone together. Celestia saw their special friendship and potential and how it led to the whole town becoming more friendly, so she moved Twilight to town.

What's your headcanon about it?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I don't think there's a whole lot to go into it.

What you say about Rarity is pretty spot on.

Fluttershy confuses me because her line of work is the most irregular, and her shyness at the beginning of the show would suggest to me that business dealings would be very difficult, so I think she either manages to be professional when people approach her with an animal, because she was only shy with Twilight until she noticed Spike, or maybe everything was arranged through her by mail which is how she could've been tasked with conducting a bird choir for an event as big as the Summer Sun Celebration in that first episode. Maybe her freelancing began with somepony having heard she does well with animals and rudely shoving theirs into her arms and throwing some bits her way. It just feels weird, especially when considering her relationship with her brother when it come sto matters of responsibility, but family relations can differ greatly from public interactions.

Dash dropped out of flight school, so probably to avoid the ridicule and find a job easier she moved to the nearest place and just asked for one.

What you say for Pinkie Pie also sounds pretty spot on, but we also know she has no issues when it comes to traveling.

Rarity and Applejack don't have any business with each other so they're little more than acquaintances. Applejack and Rainbow Dash do have business, possibly through matters of weather, the buying and selling of cider, and maybe some competitiveness, but I think they just knew each other through proximity and little more. Similar to how you'd know someone from class and how they behave but nothing more. Pinkie Pie had a fully developed reputation, and not a perfectly happy one either as Dash didn't get along with her very well at first, but now they have a unique level of buddyness within the group. Fluttershy was known by Dash from school, and Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity all knew her because they interact with so many of the townsfolk that they kind of know everyone to some degree.

I wouldn't say any of them had what we'd consider an actual friendship with each other prior to Twilight's arrival.

• Brohoof 1

Well, Applejack was clearly born there and has remained since (a couple of months in Manehattan aside). Rarity may or may not have been, but I'd say she's at least lived there as long as she can remember. Pinkie first came as a visitor, tagging along with her late grandmother (who knew the Cakes) - after said mare passed away, the bakers took her in as a substitute child of sorts. Dunno which one of Rainbow and Fluttershy came first, but they invited the other soon after, a couple of years before the show.

1 hour ago, SharpWit said:

Rarity and Applejack don't have any business with each other so they're little more than acquaintances. Applejack and Rainbow Dash do have business, possibly through matters of weather, the buying and selling of cider, and maybe some competitiveness, but I think they just knew each other through proximity and little more. Similar to how you'd know someone from class and how they behave but nothing more. Pinkie Pie had a fully developed reputation, and not a perfectly happy one either as Dash didn't get along with her very well at first, but now they have a unique level of buddyness within the group. Fluttershy was known by Dash from school, and Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity all knew her because they interact with so many of the townsfolk that they kind of know everyone to some degree.

I wouldn't say any of them had what we'd consider an actual friendship with each other prior to Twilight's arrival.

I'd mostly second this. Dunno if Rarity and Flutters were friends pre-Twi, it could go either way. Definitely none of the others though, save with Pinkie in the general way she is with everypony.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, SharpWit said:

I mean "Celestial Advice" kinda retconned that feeling if that's what they were going for, by showing Celestia handpicking these five ponies for Twilight to meet. But even then it's not really that far a stretch to assume the five are good friends when you see how they interact in the premiere. Most notably none of them ever properly introduce themselves to each other like they don't know each other real well and they all immediately group together at Pinkie's welcoming party. They never question why one of them is tagging along on their adventures. Plus they never treat the situation like Twilight brought them together to save the day. They feel extremely comfortable with one another's presence during every scene their in together in the premiere, and not like a rag tag group of random characters like say Starlight's crew in "To Where and Back Again"

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, KH7672 said:

I mean "Celestial Advice" kinda retconned that feeling if that's what they were going for, by showing Celestia handpicking these five ponies for Twilight to meet. But even then it's not really that far a stretch to assume the five are good friends when you see how they interact in the premiere. Most notably none of them ever properly introduce themselves to each other like they don't know each other real well and they all immediately group together at Pinkie's welcoming party. They never question why one of them is tagging along on their adventures. Plus they never treat the situation like Twilight brought them together to save the day. They feel extremely comfortable with one another's presence during every scene their in together in the premiere, and not like a rag tag group of random characters like say Starlight's crew in "To Where and Back Again"

I think they all know each other and have some tentative connections between them - Pinkie befriends everyone in town, and Rarity and Fluttershy may as I said already be close, she's retrospectively childhood frinds with Rainbow etc... but I feel that anything more than that undermines quite a bit of Season 1, which was about them coming together - not Twilight and an existing group like in Equestria Girls, but said group itself. They get on better than Starlight's group because Starlight's group is one of outcasts and misfits who mostly don't know each other at all - the Manes are for the most part much more socially capable and gregarious. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn’t have one yet. Bet I could think of something though.

We all know why Twilight moved there.

Rarity and Applejack were born there. That’s pretty straight forward.

Rainbow Dash got a weather pony job as soon as she was old enough to move out. She was trying to get some space from her parents.

Fluttershy made regular trips to Ponyville with her parents after she got her cutie mark. They wanted to support her in her love for animals since they weren’t easily accessible in Cloudsdale. She gained experience and a repertoire by volunteering in animal related community projects, and when she got old enough, got a government job caring for wildlife and moved in.

Pinkie’s is... concerning, and I don’t have a good answer for it. She’s seen IN Ponyville as a filly, so she can’t have had her own place at that time. She could have been living with the Cakes, but WHY? I see a lot of people that headcanon that she ran away from a bad home life, but her family seems perfectly loving and functional, just different from her. Was the flashback just a family visit to Ponyville?

Maybe her parents wanted her to be able to freely express her talents, but knew she wouldn’t be able to do much with it on the rock farm. So they set up an apprenticeship for her with the Cakes.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

I would assume that Rarity and Applejack were born there. As for Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, I think they would've moved to Ponyville after either getting their cutie mark or finishing flight school. Pinkie Pie is a different story, as we know that she grew up on a rock farm. I think her parents would've sent her to live in Ponyville after she got her cutie mark, as they would probably want her to do something on her own merit, as she wouldn't really fit into the rock business.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, SharpWit said:

Watch`` Celestia's Advice '' there clearly shows their friendship long before Twilight's arrival

Edited by Jane

1 hour ago, Jane said:

Watch`` Celestia's Advice '' there clearly shows their friendship long before Twilight's arrival

Not so clearly - it's just implied. And that implication seems to contradict a lot of their behaviour towards each other in Season 1, so many ignore it.

• Brohoof 2

Applejack: Was born there, obviously, and always lived there...obviously. 

Rarity: Like Applejack, was born there, grew up there. 

Pinkie Pie: Seeing as how she was raised on a rock farm just outside of Ponyville, and how much she loved Ponyville from the start, she obviously must’ve visited there often. She got older and got a job working at Sugarcube Corner with the Cakes, and eventually moved in there. 

Fluttershy: I’m guessing after she realized her love for the ground and animals, she wanted to move away from Cloudsdale. She stumbled upon Ponyville and fell in love with the cottage. 

Rainbow Dash: Seeing as her and Fluttershy are such close childhood friends, she wanted to live closer to her, therefore she moved to Ponyville and got an excellent job as leader of Ponyville Weather Patrol. 

And of course, we all know how Twilight got there. :P

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...