Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Showing Unread Notifications

RaraLover

Not sure if a topic like this has already been posted, but apologies in advance if there is already one.

Maybe it's just me but I kind of find it a bit annoying that once you click on the notifications button (the bell symbol next to the messages button), all new notifications are marked as 'read' (un-bolded). Sometimes when I have boatloads of notifications to sort through, I prefer to view the important ones first then view the rest in the evening when I have more time. However, it's hard to do this when all notifications are instantly marked as 'read', like the 120 notifications I just went through.

It seems as though this feature has been implemented for the messages button. Sure, the number in the red circle disappears upon clicking the messages button, but 'unread' messages are still bolded.

So perhaps, could notifications has the same 'read'/'unread' feature as messages?

(Unless this is some sort of error I'm not aware of.)

Edited by Batoloratura
  • Brohoof 5

5 minutes ago, Bas said:

PC or mobile?

PC (not sure about mobile)

6 minutes ago, Bas said:

Does it help if you open the notification page itself instead of the popup window and maybe open the notification links in new tabs?

Yeah, I do do that when I view my notifications, but it doesn't help when, let's say for example, I'm viewing one portion of the notifications, leave the Forums, then view the second portion.

It may not be such a big deal, and probably is just me or something.

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, Batoloratura said:

once you click on the notifications button (the bell symbol next to the messages button), all new notifications are marked as 'read' (un-bolded).

Maybe I should reword that.

I meant if you didn’t click on a particular notification from the pop up box, and then go to a different page (or refresh page), the unclicked notifications will be marked as ‘read’ (un-bolded) once you open the pop up box again. This also applies to the notifications when clicking the “View All Notifications” button.

I should also mention that even if you close the popup box, if you were to reopen it, the ‘unread’ notifications will still be in bold given that you haven’t left the current page or refreshed it.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah this is fun, I know what you mean. qgWC76l.png

Though I think it has changed a little with one of the recent updates. From what I have noticed, it *partially* works like it should now, marking as read only notifications you have read (read - not clicked, and by read it means just loading that page).

Just tested with notifications I had and it seemed to work like this:
If you'll be mentioned in the same thread 5 times, where 3 mentions will be on page 1, the rest two on the second, you'll get 5 similar notifications. If you'll click the first one you've received, it will lead you to the first page of that thread, automatically marking the 3 first notifications as read, as you've been there. The other two should remain unread (bolded). Now if you'll go to the second page of that thread (clicking page number/arrows in the thread), these two will be marked as read too, even without viewing the notification box.

This doesn't seem to work with status updates, as these all are marked as read upon opening the notification box, without having to view any of these.

.... but it still works randomly. In the 'all notifications' I have few unread ones with mentions and when I click one of these, it takes me to a post, that I already have reacted to, so it's more than certain, that I did see it and what's more, actually clicked that notification, as it was in a thread I don't tend to visit myself. :huh:

So yeah, this system requires a lot of improving. It's absolutely impractical, terrible design. :yuck: Notifications have to be viewed in a single run and if you'll get more than 25, it will make it a pain and might successfully cause you to skip one/few.

They could just make it mark as read only the ones you actually click. It would make following these much, much easier. :darling:

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

This doesn't seem to work with status updates, as these all are marked as read upon opening the notification box, without having to view any of these.

Yeah, and majority of my notifications are status updates. But I don't want to disable receiving them however. I want to try to get through all of them, giving replies, reactions, etc.

29 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Just tested with notifications I had and it seemed to work like this:
If you'll be mentioned in the same thread 5 times, where 3 mentions will be on page 1, the rest two on the second, you'll get 5 similar notifications. If you'll click the first one you've received, it will lead you to the first page of that thread, automatically marking the 3 first notifications as read, as you've been there. The other two should remain unread (bolded). Now if you'll go to the second page of that thread (clicking page number/arrows in the thread), these two will be marked as read too, even without viewing the notification box.

That makes sense to me. I do see the reasoning behind this too. I don't think this is too much of problem, well not as much as compared to status updates and such.

Thanks for clearing that one up. :)

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Batoloratura said:

Yeah, and majority of my notifications are status updates. But I don't want to disable receiving them however. I want to try to get through all of them, giving replies, reactions, etc.

Same and that's why it's a bigger problem than one could think. :P 

2 minutes ago, Batoloratura said:

That makes sense to me. I do see the reasoning behind this too. I don't think this is too much of problem, well not as much as compared to status updates and such.

Yeah it does make some sense, but is still somewhat confusing in my opinion. I don't tend to read the whole thread because someone mentioned me, so chances are, that if I'll be mentioned twice in one page, I might miss the second mention, as I won't be scrolling down and the second notification will be already marked as read.

Personally I'd prefer to just have the full control of my notifications, marking as read only the ones I actually click, thus being sure, that I haven't missed any. :pout:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Yeah it does make some sense, but is still somewhat confusing in my opinion. I don't tend to read the whole thread because someone mentioned me, so chances are, that if I'll be mentioned twice in one page, I might miss the second mention, as I won't be scrolling down and the second notification will be already marked as read.

Personally I'd prefer to just have the full control of my notifications, marking as read only the ones I actually click, thus being sure, that I haven't missed any. :pout:

I thought maybe it's beyond control since all the mentions are on the same page. I just thought that the system cannot differentiate between when you are actually viewing a mention on screen and when you are viewing a mention off screen, even though they are on the same page.

I totally agree with you, and prefer to have full control of my notifications too. Makes it so much easier. Though, I wonder if it is fully possible. :huh:

Edited by Batoloratura
  • Brohoof 4

That way yes, (at least at the moment) it can't tell that, so it works like it works. :twi: I haven't worked in such environment yet, so I can only guess about the possibilities, but I can imagine it should be possible to mark these as read based on if these were clicked or not, as it's doesn't seem to be a big deal. That would be perfect. :please:

• Brohoof 1

Hopefully Invision Powerboard will make this an option one day in a future release. For now the current notification behavior is the only function of notifications that they have built into the forum software. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 10/5/2019 at 6:56 AM, Jer said:

For now the current notification behavior is the only function of notifications that they have built into the forum software. 

So nothing can be done at the moment. Alright then. Thanks for the info. :)

Edited by Batoloratura
  • Brohoof 3