Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Joker (2019) Film Reviews and Reactions [SPOILERS]

Octavia_Melody2

I know I'm in the minority here but I didn't like it. Without trying to give too much away for a movie called "Joker" there was barely any Joker proper in it. It felt like a remake of "King of Comedy" with DC characters shoehorned in just to get more people to see it

Spoilers Below:

Spoiler

So here's a more in-depth review of the film. I know it was an origin story but the trailers seemed to imply that Arthur would be in the Joker persona for a good portion of the film. The vast majority of the movie is following Arthur around being moody and depressed while he mugs the camera for minutes on end. I'll admit Joaquin Phoenix is talented and inhabits the role but the script doesn't give him much to do outside of mugging the camera and dancing and then throw in a quasi-Heath Ledger style Joker at the last minute. I did like how like they tied in the clown riots into Bruce Wayne's parents getting killed but this movie needed more of that. If you're gonna slap the DC Comics label on the movie it needs to be tied in better to the Batman mythos. Also, the trailer sort of implied that Zazie Beetz was going to be the Harley Quinn stand-in but we find out in the film that her infatuation for her is all in his head. I felt like her character was underused and maybe she could have found him creepy at first but then maybe got infatuated with the Joker as a protest symbol until she finally realizes how homicidal he is. Also, the fact that this is going to be a standalone movie disappoints me as the ending practically had the perfect set up for Joaquin Phoenix to be the new Joker.

TLDR: Needed less Arthur Fleck/Travis Bickle, needed more Joker/DC mythos.

• Brohoof 2

I really loved it. It's now one of my favorite comic book movies along with The Dark Knight, Logan, Deadpool, X-Men Days Of Future Past, Man Of Steel, Spider-Man 2, The Crow, and Watchmen. 

You bring up that it felt more like Scorsese's King Of Comedy (Which is an underrated gem) and Taxi Driver than a DC story. For me that style worked as I found it fitting for the character. While it's based on the Joker character from DC comics, it's not a superhero film. It was a well paced, beautifully shot physiological drama/cautionary tale with an amazing performance from Phoenix (Almost on par with Ledger IMHO). If the Oscars don't nominate him, it will just be more proof that they're out of touch. Fantastic and haunting score as well.

And I loved the fact that it's a stand alone one shot story. I think DC can continue with their big cinematic universe, but also filmmakers to make these smaller one shot stories. There's currently a rumor that they want to do a Lex Luthor film now and I think other good candidates for a one shot story include Jonah Hex (Make up for that horrible mess from 2010) and Lobo.

Agree to disagree I guess. Good review. :0)

• Brohoof 1

I loved it! I want to see it in the theater again and the last time I did that was the first Avengers movie.

I agree it would be great if he played the Joker again. Just because this is a standalone movie doesn't necessarily mean he can't.

Spoiler

On 10/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, Octavia_Melody2 said:

the trailers seemed to imply that Arthur would be in the Joker persona for a good portion of the film.

Also, the trailer sort of implied that Zazie Beetz was going to be the Harley Quinn stand-in

I didn't get any of that.

• Brohoof 2

I loved everything about this movie: how disturbing it was , how the descent into madness was presented... almost perfect in every way.

Spoiler

The dance scenes are my favorites; they show his twitching self inside of him. In the beggining he was shy, delicate and elegant with his dancing patterns. At the end, he was vivid, energic; shows how the character devolved into another state. Magnificient.

• Brohoof 1

I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard it’s been raising a lot of controversy I guess because a lot of people are offended by it or something. I don’t know. 

• Brohoof 1

I have seen it and I found it fascinating and I loved it as a piece of cinema and a unique take on one of my favorite villains in literature. Yes I called comics literature. 

The controversy is a bit much if I am being honest. 

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Shy said:

Haven't seen it yet, but hopefully I can soon. What was your opinion of it?

I liked it really, Joker is my favorite villain.

Edited by Interdimensional

I haven't seen it yet, though I'm really aching to watch it as soon as I get the chance. I'm really intrigued by their take on the Joker.

As for the controversy, for me it's actually all the more reason to watch it, because the controversy is just a lot of fake outrage. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

I watched Joker last night. It is pretty good, with a lot of ambiguity left over, so you can really have your own take on what exactly is supposed to have happened.

Spoiler

A lot of events we are shown could be real or could just be part of Arthur's delusions / halluciations.

(Was his mother really out of touch with reality, or did Thomas Wayne use his wealth and position to pull some strings to make it seem that way, in order to put aside his baby mama and her bastard (using it in the original sense, here) child?)

The cinematography is top notch, and I don't really see the problem with taking the time to show a slow descent into eventual madness. It's more a character study than a supervillain origin story, after all.

There have been many comparisons to King of Comedy (which I've never seen) and Taxi Driver (same here) but it reminded me a lot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. By the end of the film, you're not sure exactly what is supposed to have actually happened, and how much of what we see is merely the main character's own interpretation of events as his connection to objective reality deteriorates.

For the character of the Joker, many interpretations have him going from a somewhat normal, if troubled, individual, to the Crown Prince of Crime due to one very bad day (it could happen to anyone!) and this doesn't really mess with that formula too much, except to extend it to a few very bad weeks.

If I were to nitpick, the ending seemed to drag on a bit much, and has a slapstick feeling that is quite jarring. Maybe that was the intention, but it still pretty whiplashy. That entire last 5 minute portion could have been left out, and probably would have made the movie end on a stronger note, to my mind. I also feel that the inteview with Murray at the end fails to even bring up the fact that Arthur's first two murders were pretty much self-defense. (Third guy, not so much) Arthur just acts as if he decided to kill those 3 guys for no reason whatsoever, when what we see is that they were assaulting him and probably would have beaten him to death. Then again, that ties back into the question of how much of what we see is real and how much unreliable narration.

In the end, it's not a movie for the easily disquieted. It's dark, gritty, and is punctuated with some bursts of pretty shocking violence. For someone who can handle that sort of thing, I say go check it out. If that sort of thing bothers you, avoid this movie.

• 3 weeks later...

I really loved it! I hope they make a sequel! With him being in Arkham by the end of the movie, I think it perfectly sets up a movie that centers on How he met Harley 

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw it (FINALLY) and I have to say it's every bit as good as people say, if not even better because of the hidden social commentary throughout it. 9.5/10. Joaquin Phoenix's acting really shined here, really pulled off a very interesting take on the Joker. I also have to commend many of the other performances. The writing, although it seems to take a teensy bit too much from Taxi Driver, is absolutely phenomenal... There's little to say at all that's negative. It's not quite as great as the legendary second Dark Knight film, but it's probably one of the best DC-related films out there.

I say I do want to see Joaquin's Joker again, but not in a sequel. It would be nice to see it in a future mainline Batman film. Also suck it Jared Leto. You deserve your shame.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust