Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Changelings are a non-binary society

Ittoni

I'm honestly surprised nobody has made any of the two jokes yet. 

1 hour ago, ggg-2 said:

The changelings aren't genderless because being genderless is a biological impossibility whether you're human, equine, dragon, griffin, hippogriff, yak or changeling.

Can't one argue that a show about magical ponies that solves friendship problem needn't be 100% biologically accurate? I mean, it's not like feeding on emotions or shapeshifting is biologically possible, yet the changeling race seems to have no problem doing either of those.

2 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm honestly surprised nobody has made any of the two jokes yet. 

Can't one argue that a show about magical ponies that solves friendship problem needn't be 100% biologically accurate? I mean, it's not like feeding on emotions or shapeshifting is biologically possible, yet the changeling race seems to have no problem doing either of those.

Well, no. But that wasn't the purpose of that comment, was it?

4 minutes ago, Spider Demon said:

That's oddly transphobic.

My first inclination was it was another resistance comment, but ggg-2 tends to come across that way in general since he is one of the resident contrarians of our site. I mean he’s dead wrong scientifically. Anyway back on topic. 

I do think they have genders, but if any of the species could be genderless it would be them. It’s also a new society in general so you have them adopting and adapting, which is why this is such a fascinating question even if I don’t agree because it is perhaps a plausible theory. The question did make me stop and go, “yanno, maybe” in the middle of actually arguing against a genderless biosystem. 

2 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Whatever. 

Does anyone know how to delete a thread?

You go to an Admin. But If you want yo delete it imma repurpose this because the conversation and topic is absolutely worth having a discussion about, and yes either theory of buggo gender can be scrutinized. It’s not often we have a passionate discussion about the show that focuses on lore so I’d be more keen to here other people’s thoughts. It’s a good topic! 

I haven’t known of sex changing insects, but fishes :huh:. Anyway, there’s no evidence changelings are such, but there’s no evidence they aren’t either, so... whatever floats your boat I guess

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discussions regarding gender identity make me nervous. Feelings are always bound to get hurt because even when we're talking about cartoon horses, real people who really break gender conventions - trans people, nb people, even just gender non-conforming people - are inevitably going to see others fumble with sex/gender terminology and saying ignorant things (notice how I said "ignorant" and not "intentionally hateful". Important distinction!) Likewise, cis and gender conforming people almost never mean harm and are just going off of what they see in front of them (canon) and what they believe they know (biology that may or may not be true, as evidenced here lol). And in fandoms where everyone has strong opinions regarding their own Hot Takes, things get messy very quickly :(

Anyway, talking about cartoons again wahoo yippee

I like the idea that changelings don't have the same perception of gender as ponies because I like anything that defines changelings as being Ponies But Not Quite, especially regarding cultural attitudes. I think it'd make sense for a bunch of magic insects to have different social models, caste systems, and conventions then mammals would; like c'mon, these horseflies canonically do a lotta social stuff differently then ponies, but the line for those differences has to be drawn at sex, gender, and gender roles? lol okay

Still, it's all just headcanons and (hopefully) good fun. I don't necessarily think that someone not headcanoning changelings as an nb or otherwise gender non-conforming society is wrong. Just so long as they don't get too pushy about their personal opinion, and especially so long as they don't try to assert in in ways that intentionally harm real life gender non-conforming people. That's a good rule of thumb in general though, innit? Playing pretend nicely?

tl;dr thorax is an agender queen in my heart <3